Outdoor Weddings
Options

To tent or not to tent?

I need some serious help to decide wether or not I need a tent for my outdoor/ backyard ceremony. We are absolutely getting a tent for the reception (which is in the same yard), but I'm having a Jewish wedding which takes place at sunset andI would LOVE for all my guests to be able to enjoy the sunset and not be stuck under a tent.

Some other extra info:
My wedding is May 11th in upstate Vermont where the weather is tricky around that time of year
The yard is about 3/4 of an acre

So should I get a tent covering the whole backyard and have the cocktail hour, ceremony and reception under it and play it totally safe, but with sloppier transitions? Or should I get a tent for about half of the yard for just the reception and cocktail hour and hold the ceremony outside?

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Re: To tent or not to tent?

• Options
    Let's say you only get a tent for the cocktail hour and reception.  The day of, it looks like rain or is cold.  Can you do a reasonable job of having the ceremony under the tent and still have a cocktail hour + reception set up?

I've seen ceremonies set up in the room where the tables have been pushed aside behind some curtains, then cocktail hour is off to one side while the curtains and tables are moved back into place for the reception. 

Would you be adverse to guests sitting at their reception seats during your ceremony under the tent if the weather becomes a factor?

If the answer is "Having the ceremony under the tent is going to be impossible if the weather sucks," then you're going to need a ceremony tent.  If you're answer is "It's not ideal, but we can make it work in some way on the off chance we have to," then go for the outside ceremony.  I would love an outside ceremony as long as it's not too cold!
  • Options
    It sounds like you have an iffy situation regarding weather, and you don't state how many guests you are anticipating.

I used to live in Massachusetts for a while. My birthday is in May. I distinctly remember driving to work on my birthday after it snowed the day before. Yes, it was only once. Usually the weather is in the mid 50's to mid 80's, depending on Mother Nature, which lately has been way out of whack.

If your guests want to see the sunset, they can move from under a tent to the open air. As a host or hostess, your job is to provide the best circumstances to keep your guests comfortable regardless of the weather. You get a tent area (you'll have more than one tent depending on guest list size) to cover tables & chairs to seat the number of guests you have, plus an area to have your ceremony. While it may not be ideal, your ceremony area can simply be in an area in front of, or the center of, the tables & chairs, which would possibly be the dance floor also. Plus, that way if it's really chilly, you can rent heaters, or if it happens to be really unseasonably hot, fans.

Before you go too far down this path with your mental picture of how it should be, depending on your guest list, look into costs of tents, tables, chairs, etc. They are not cheap. Plus, you will also be renting and bringing in linens, and plates, utensils, glassware, food, alcohol, etc. Do you know what type of elecrical access is available? You may know all the costs involved already and are making a good decision based on facts.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies! We're expecting about 100 people and after all your help I think I'm going to get a tent that covers most of the yard. If the weather is nice, cocktail hour and the ceremony can be outside, but if the weather isn't cooperating, I can have all the tables pushed to the side, the chairs moved into rows and an impromptu aisle can be made down the middle. Thanks again!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_to-tent-or-not-to-tent-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:f885b0f5-38ff-4588-9a8e-0def3b987be0Post:374a328d-d997-488c-a90c-e8de66604a02">To tent or not to tent?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I need some serious help to decide wether or not I need a tent for my outdoor/ backyard ceremony. We are absolutely getting a tent for the reception (which is in the same yard), but I'm having a Jewish wedding which takes place at sunset andI would LOVE for all my guests to be able to enjoy the sunset and not be stuck under a tent. Some other extra info: My wedding is May 11th in upstate Vermont where the weather is tricky around that time of year The yard is about 3/4 of an acre So should I get a tent covering the whole backyard and have the cocktail hour, ceremony and reception under it and play it totally safe, but with sloppier transitions? Or should I get a tent for about half of the yard for just the reception and cocktail hour and hold the ceremony outside?
    Posted by jbn04110[/QUOTE]

What about those NEW SEE THRU TENTS? They rent CLear Tents that have AC, inside, and you can still see out..
  • Options
    I think you just need to consider about the weather on your wedding day, the temprature is not too high nor too chilly in may.  you want your guests to enjoy the sunset, then abselutlly not to tent. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards