Honeymoon Discussions

Traveling int'l with liquid medication?

We are leaving for our honeymoon to Europe next week. DH has some prescription medication (administered via syringe) that he will have to take with him. Has anyone ever done this? Are there any guidelines we should follow?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Traveling int'l with liquid medication?

• I work in a diabetic clinic. He will need to go to his doctor and get what is called a travel letter. The doctors office will know what that is. They will print it off saying he can bring his medication, syringes, and what ever else is needed. Make sure your guy brings that letter with through every part of the trip.
  • As someone who travels a lot and has lots of mediciation this is what I have found to work best.
    Place them in sealable plastic baggies (like lunch bags) before you even leave the house. Place all your medication in there. This will cut down time at the airport security check and will also lessen the the handling of the medication (in case you drop it moving it from one place to the plastic baggies they provide at the airport).
    Also tell the security people before they touch your luggage that you have syringes in there. they will appreciate the heads up rather than an accidental stick injury. And keep any used syrniges in a different location tot he medicine and marked so that you and they know the difference.
    Only carry your medication in your hand luggage. If you need your medicine refridgerated ring your airline and make sure they are able to accommodate you. Some airlines will not put your medicine in the fridge.
    Ditto ekelly you will need to get a doctors letter  I also carry a current perscription with me just in case I need to go to a doctor.
    Check your travel insurance carefully (and get some if you dont have it). Replacing medicines can be expensive in other countries and some travel insurances wont cover you unless you declare your pre-exisiting illness and some even need you to get a medical form completed before covering your trip.
    HTH
  • There are a lot of people who travel with medication and syringes.  It's not that difficult, just be prepared.

I don't know about a doctor's letter, but it doesn't hurt. I believe the rule is, that as long as the item has a visible prescription label, it should be fine.

But you know, you could always read about this on the actual TSA website. 
  • Everything PPs have said is good advice.
    I also want to add that you should make copies of ANY important documents, related to the medication and otherwise. Having extra copies of all documents is a good idea in case anything gets lost/stolen. Passports and things can be replaced at an embassy, though having a copy ready makes it faster, but if that doctor's letter or the prescription paper goes missing, you don't have any proof of what the meds are.
    Not to sound pessimistic or anything, but it always helps to be over prepared versus the alternative!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_traveling-intl-liquid-medication?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:e492c4e9-30ab-445a-8061-44ada226fad4Post:b70b001a-abbc-47e5-a25c-9e577e014c9f">Re: Traveling int'l with liquid medication?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As someone who travels a lot and has lots of mediciation this is what I have found to work best. Place them in sealable plastic baggies (like lunch bags) before you even leave the house. Place all your medication in there. This will cut down time at the airport security check and will also lessen the the handling of the medication (in case you drop it moving it from one place to the plastic baggies they provide at the airport). Also tell the security people before they touch your luggage that you have syringes in there. they will appreciate the heads up rather than an accidental stick injury. And keep any used syrniges in a different location tot he medicine and marked so that you and they know the difference. Only carry your medication in your hand luggage. If you need your medicine refridgerated ring your airline and make sure they are able to accommodate you. Some airlines will not put your medicine in the fridge. Ditto ekelly you will need to get a doctors letter  I also carry a current perscription with me just in case I need to go to a doctor. Check your travel insurance carefully (and get some if you dont have it). Replacing medicines can be expensive in other countries and some travel insurances wont cover you unless you declare your pre-exisiting illness and some even need you to get a medical form completed before covering your trip. HTH
    Posted by j_jaye[/QUOTE]

<div>Put one copy of the travel letter in the same plastic bag as the medicine et al.  Have the original with your passport. </div>
  • I had to bring a bunch of liquid albuterol sulfate with me to Japan. I just got a doctors note and showed it to the security people.
    :3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards