Retro and Vintage Weddings

1940s music

Hello knotties!
I'm tossing around a 1940s sort of theme for my cake and punch reception but I'm having a little bit of difficulty with the music.  I found some great pieces but not enough to fill up the whole span of time.  Does anyone have any great upbeat sort of selections?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 1940s music

• One thing you can try is going to pandora.com.  Type in a song or artist you like and then it will give you other selections based on that.  I do it all the time just because I love that type of music.  You can say if you like the song or not.  Then it keeps pumping out more selections.  It's free for like 40 hours of play so I'd give it a shot.  Otherwise maybe just google 1940's music and see what comes up. 

I'm always a big fan of Glenn Miller & The Andrew Sisters.

Hope that helps.
    MyBio
    Yes I am.....Living the Dream
  • I grew up listening to my Dad's collection of 1940's swing music!  Some of my favorites are Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Count Basie and Duke Ellington.  I don't know song titles offhand, but hopefully that will give you a good start.
  • The only thing I can add is perhaps broadening the music a smidge.  It would make things easier on you, for one, and it would be a more interesting selection of music.  We had a lot of 40's music, but I made sure that there was enough new stuff that fit more into the beat I wanted, as opposed to themeing the music.

List in Bio if you're interested.
  • edited March 2010
    My FI is a jazz trumpet player, so I spend most of my time listening to jazz, haha. (My favorite style being 1930s/40s Big Band and Swing.)

TOMMY DORSEY (My all time favorite big band leader!)
    Jimmy Dorsey
    The Dorsey Brothers Orchestra
    Glenn Miller
    Benny Goodman
    Buddy Rich
    Duke Ellington
    Count Basie
    Louie Armstrong
    Sarah Vaughan
    Etc.

You could also look into jazz from other eras or even modern jazz bands/performers GORDON GOODWIN'S BIG PHAT BAND, Michael Buble, Diana Krall, The Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Michael Maxweel etc.

(f you'd like more suggestions or specific song suggestions, feel free to message me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

December 2010 Signature Challenge image
    Bouquet Inspiration
  • The one Im using is The Essentials, Fred Astaire.  It's good enough that I can play the entire thing for the cocktail hour, but its a little more 1930's....If thats ok with you, preview the CD on Amazon.  Its a great one.  
  • Glenn Miller, The Andrew Sisters, Bing Crosby, Will Bradley, Perry Como, Frank Sinatra, The Dorsey Brothers, Cab Calloway.

If I had my records I can share some more. But those are the only ones that come to mind. I agree with going to pandora and typing in a singer. You can even try slacker.com (its basically the same thing minus the 40hr limit)
  • you can also try www.lala.com another free site, and i dont think theres a time limit on it either.
    sarah vaughn, dorsey, duke ellington, count basie, artie shaw, all good selections
    and i def agree w pp about using some more modern jazz type music...michael buble is one of my faves, hes too cute. diana krall is wonderful, her voice is so expressive.
    good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards