Retro and Vintage Weddings

DIY Cakestand!!

this was done for $2.50. The plate and the stand were each .99 from Goodwill and then a few cents for the hot glue.. Yes I used hot glue instead of apoxy as referenced, it holds just the same for one day and if I choose to make them perminant cake stands, (I am making 8 at different hights) then I will apoxy, for now I like that I can use and exacto knife and keep the plate as a plate if I choose.. What to do with that many other then sell?

Plate close up, shows gold rim and snowflake pattern (were getting married in december)

I got four of the same plates with snowflake pattern at different candlestick heights, still looknig for four more of a different pattern.

Re: DIY Cakestand!!

• Seriously, seriously cute! This would be fun for other types of parties, too. Like Christmas, Valentine's day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, just use different colored plates. You could display all kinds of goodies on it! It reminds me of the glass serving trays that I got from Walmart (on clearnace) after Christmas, but these are much more creative and personal. I really love that idea!

Oh, also the silver "plate" on one of the stands my fiance' put there just to "check it out"....but I didn't like it. :)

Visit Gothic.weddings.com
  • oh my gosh I love it!  Its funny....I didn't even think about making my own cake stand....  I have an idea of what I want and was gonna check out consignment shops, but making one would work too!
  • NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I'm having such a hard time finding candleholders I like for my plates (in my bio).  I'll have to wait until I'm back in Canada and can hit up the second hand stores.

Yours turned out fantastic!  Love the snowflake pattern.  :D
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • love love love it! i've been trying to decide whether or not to do something like this but now i am sold. :) you guys are so clever. i'll def by hitting up some thrift stores this weekend and keep you posted on anything i find!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • That is such a good idea. And you'd be surprised at the stuff you can find at Goodwill. It looks really good, but like PP said you can use them just as platters for parties or get togethers.

Nice Job!
  • love it! i'm doing this as well. in my part of the country cookie tables are practically required, so i'm going to make a bunch for that - better than plastic platters that will get tossed out after the evening is over :)
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards