Vineyard Weddings

First post ever!!

We got engaged about a month ago - the week before I started a big new job - so I have not devoted much attention to the wedding - nor do I think I will be able to any time soon :(  We are shooting for Fall 2011 in California wine country or a beach location.  

A few questions - some may be TMI - but that's just how I am.  I am a very open person, so am just asking to gather information - not judge either way. 

1.  Locations you have seen that you loved or where you had your wedding?
2.  Approximate Budget and number of people?
3.  Best tip you can think of!

Thanks soooo much!  This is coming from a girl who has a totally uninterested mother - which makes it very difficult. 

Re: First post ever!!

• Best ti--Plan early.  You want to plan  everything so that you are not scrambling around the last month.  Trust me there will still be unexpected things that pop up to keep you occupied.  I can't tell you how many ladies are still doing DIY or other tasks down to the day before.  Other important tip make a realistic budget and stick to it. Knowing your budget informs all of your decisions and keeps you from going into debt to pay for the wedding.  

Budget is whatever you can afford without selling a kidney.  I know people who only spent $50 a person and others that spent $200.  It depends on your venue and how much you want to dedicate to catering.  

Our wedding cost for everything from venue to food, from dress to favors, music, photog etc is costing about $18K for 35 people.  That said we spent more on catering to really get what we wanted, and ditto for musicians.  Also vineyards generally cost more than an average hall or hotel.  

Good luck planning and I hope your mom comes around!
  • First, welcome to the boards! :)

OFF covered the basics; I'm planning a wedding in the Finger Lakes, upstate New York in March 2011. We are planning for 120-150 guests; our costs for everything will be under $12k. We found a really beautiful place that offers obscene discounts during the "off season" for weddings.

If you're looking for money saving tips, that would be a big one: look for dates during less popular months, pick a day of the week other than Friday and Saturday; we are planning a Sunday morning ceremony and brunch reception. But most importantly, be happy and satisfied with what you are getting for what you're spending; it may not be worth your special day to rearrange everything just to save a buck.

Good luck! :)
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss Visit The Nest!
  • Congrats! 

We're having our wedding at a vineyard with amazing mountain views in Dahlonega, GA.  For us, it was actually an affordable option.  We're doing both the ceremony and reception there.

We're planning for about 60-70 people and aren't planning to spend over 10K with everything included (dress/tux, photographer, flowers, catering, wine, location, etc.).

Best Tips - Plan early (you're not too early!), do diy where you can to save $$, buy used!  Craigslist has offered some amazing options,.

My biggest money saver was buying a preowned dress at oncewed.com.  The dress is in incredible condition and was half the price.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards