Honeymoon Discussions

Things to do/see in NYC

DF and I are going to NYC for our honeymoon at the end of May.  Any suggestions on things we HAVE to do/see/eat?  We already have tickets for Wicked, Chicago, and Yankee's/Redsocks.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Things to do/see in NYC

• I have never been, so I can't add much.. I just wanted to suggest that in addition to this post, you should pop over to the NYC board! The locals might have some great inside suggestions :) 
  • anssettanssett member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013
    One trip to NYC won't give you 1/1000th of the great culture. But if you want some lists, check out trip advisor. It will show you based on tons of reviews and can be filtered or searched. I love the ballet, opera, museum of national history, book stores and used clothing in SoHo, tiny Indian restaurants where the cabbies eat, etc.
  • The NYC board is pretty dead. Some of my favorites are the Tenement Museum, Chelsea Market, Museum of Natural History, eating your way through the West Village, Smorgasburg, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and reward yourself with Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. There are a TON of free events during the summer, there is usually a free outdoor screening every day of the week in different locations. My favorite is Friday nights on the deck of the Intrepid. Also check for free Summer Stage concerts. Depending the dates, there will might be a Shakespeare in the Park performance. Broadway caliber show for free, but you have to wait in line for hours. We get there by 6am, bring games, books, a picnic and enjoy Central Park.
  • Very different and very cool

Sleep No More

http://sleepnomorenyc.com/
  • flojo973flojo973 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013
    If its nice out you can walk the High Line, great views of the city and it takes you through three neighborhoods.  Ditto PP's on the museum suggestions and of course, Central Park.  I would skip Times Square, its soooo crowded and not worth it IMO.  

For food I love the Blue Water Grill by Union Square.  They also have farmers markets in Union Square on certain days, which are awesome.  You could also go to Mario Batali's Eately, really cool there.  You can also do a walking pizza tour.  Definitely eat some pizza and bagels :)

You can also check out the new World Trade memorial and Wall Street if you're downtown.  Battery Park has great views of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.  
  • I recommend the Metropolitan Museum of Art, if you just want to see the highlights grab one of the kids maps. It's a short walk across Central Park to the Museum of Natural History. I also really like the Museum of Modern Art. If you want to go to a zoo, head up to the Bronx Zoo it's huge (don't go on a Wednesday as it's free that day and packed). I don't think the Central Park Zoo is worth it. The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens are beautiful. There's also comedy clubs, magic shows, burlesque shows, wine, beer and food tasting tours.   

Groupon, livingsocial, bloomspot and other deal sites are great for the city if you are looking to cut costs. Yelp and chowhound are great for restaurant reviews.  
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Randolph Beer has amazing food (and yes, beer), and the cocktail version nextdoor has AMAZING cocktails that are half off before 8pm every day. 

Jane restaurant is amazeballs.

If Governor's Island is open, I really love visiting there. 

Little Branch is super romantic. Go right at 7pm, though. 

I'm a huuuge fan of Pure Food & Wine.

Chelsea Market. High Line. Central Park. Anything on the Upper West Side or West Village. 

...Gawd I miss NYC. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • I would visit farmer's markets; everytime I've been to NYC was during the winter so I haven't had the chance.

-Spend 1/2 day walking through Central Park
    -Top of the Rock is breath-taking at night; for your HM, I'd say it's worth the money
    -Walk Brooklyn Bridge
    -9/11 Memorial
    -State Island Ferry

We just went in Jan and did several of the above. If you're interested: http://justcallmehaha.blogspot.com/2013/01/nyc-day-1.html
  • Eat pizza in Brooklyn.  And eat brunch at The National (in Midtown.) 
    And if you can find one of the old school food tours, those can be a lot of fun - you learn a great deal about the cultures and ethnicities that really developed each part of the city, all while munching on old-school recipes brought over with the immigrants.
    Anniversary
  • Definitely go to the Top Of the Rock. Grea views of the city! ANd fun!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Definitely go to the Top Of the Rock. Grea views of the city! ANd fun!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Highline is beautiful and very cool. I'd check out a walking tour to get some historical information and facts. There are food walking tours too that are great! I live in the west village and just took one and had an awesome time rediscovering my own neighborhood. Run the west side highway. Get drinks at Mondrian soho, frying pan (on Hudson barge), top of Bergdorfs after shopping, Eataly, blue water is good, Mary's Fish camp, Locanda Verde, Raouls, Spotted Pig Bronx Zoo is great too! Depends what you're into
  • Highline is beautiful and very cool. I'd check out a walking tour to get some historical information and facts. There are food walking tours too that are great! I live in the west village and just took one and had an awesome time rediscovering my own neighborhood. Run the west side highway. Get drinks at Mondrian soho, frying pan (on Hudson barge), top of Bergdorfs after shopping, Eataly, blue water is good, Mary's Fish camp, Locanda Verde, Raouls, Spotted Pig Bronx Zoo is great too! Depends what you're into
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards