Florida-South Florida
Options

Vendor Bashing...

I was talking to a vendor today regarding pricing for our wedding. He wanted me to come in and talk with them rather than just provide an email estimate, which is fine...but then he started talking a little bit of smack about some other well known vendors in his vendor category. I was a bit turned off by this especially considering he mentioned some specific posts that he read on this blog (he's a vendor lurker). It was like he knew how much we loved certain vendors and wanted to tell me why he was better, etc. I have encountered this a few times with various vendors during my planning...has this happened to anyone else? How did you address it? I would normally just not consider him, but his work is very good and he did come highly recommended by fellow Knotties.

Re: Vendor Bashing...

• Options
    glitrgrl25glitrgrl25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would run. That is very unprofessional, and if he is willing to show how unprofessional he is in front of a client, I don't know as though I would trust him with the most important day of my life. Who's to say he won't talk smack about you to other clients? You should never even know that he is a vendor "lurker."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    how annoying. I wouldnt hire that vendor. I have heard of it happening before and to me, it would be a major turnoff. Not only is it gossipy, but why not let your work stand alone and be your merit? Why bring others down? If you're good at what you do, that will show. Know what I mean??
  • Options
    Lacey36Lacey36 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you dont mind me asking can you email me which vendor your talking about? tommyg6022@aol.com. TIA
    My Bio Photobucket Number Invited 152 image Number Attending 109 image Number Declined 43 image Number Not Replied 0 image RSVP Date June 30th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tazdvl3tazdvl3 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It never happened to me. There is one vendor on here that I know lurks, because they deleted a post. But I'm sure many others do as well. Do you mind letting me know who it was? TazdvL3@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would love to know also...vigi76 at gmail.  TIA
  • Options
    PinkShoesGalPinkShoesGal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would love to know who it is, too. pinkshoesgal @ gmail.com. I would absolutely be turned off by this vendor if it had happened to me. I had a vendor talk crap about a client and her mom who had come in the evening before. The vendor was going on and on about how "difficult" and "whiny" the girl was. The vendor also started  saying which venues he loved and which he hated. You better believe I did not hire him/her.
    TTC since May 2011 "Natural" BFP 1/2/2012 with cp 1/5/2012 5/2012: SA and CD 3 bloodwork perfect 6/2012: Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN 8/2012: HSG all clear. Clomid TI cycle canceled due to thin lining 9/2012: Lap and Hysteroscopy: mild endo, uterine fibroids and septum, and ovarian cyst all removed
  • Options
    Kitty315Kitty315 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's someone I wouldn't hire. If you drag me in to a meeting to bash the competition in hopes that I'll sign with you because of it.. I'll leave you in the middle of your sentence. How irritating.I'm just starting to communicate with other vendors outside of the venue category. If you wouldn't mind, would you please let me know which ones have done this? I'd like to keep my distance from them. kitty_0516 at hotmail dot com.Thanks in advance and I'm sorry you keep going through this!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a vendor do that - it was after we booked them and it was in a 2nd meeting. It was weird, I just stayed quiet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    muddiliciousmuddilicious member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would steer away.  It is very unprofessional.  I did have this happen too.  Yeah, I didn't book them either.Last but not least, go your gut.  I met several vendors that were sooooo well recommended, that I flat out disliked.  If you don't like them or trust them, how does that help you in the end.  Communication b/w you and the vendors is primary.  If you feel uncomfortable with them, it will carry through.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Pinkshoes--YGM. Please do not be offended if I do not email you and you asked me to. If I don't recognize your screenname I likely will not send you an email for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    PinkShoesGalPinkShoesGal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for sharing, Tiffany. YGMB!
    TTC since May 2011 "Natural" BFP 1/2/2012 with cp 1/5/2012 5/2012: SA and CD 3 bloodwork perfect 6/2012: Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN 8/2012: HSG all clear. Clomid TI cycle canceled due to thin lining 9/2012: Lap and Hysteroscopy: mild endo, uterine fibroids and septum, and ovarian cyst all removed
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd like to know too - esp if it's the one that did the same thing to me! goldie3474@aol.com :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    citytoshore09citytoshore09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    was it a florist? i wonder if its the one i'm thinking of... april4th2009 at gmail.com if you don't mind!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That would be a huge turnoff for me. I wouldn't even give them the time of day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think this is extremely unprofessional (and just dumb) - it's clear you are looking to do business, not gossip!!I'm curious too if you don't mind sharing!!floridaknottie @ gmail.com.I'm sorry to hear that but don't fret, millions of fabulous vendors out there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What a horrible "sales tactic"! I would move on. If you don't feel good about this person, you shouldn't book them regardless of how recommended they are. There are many talented wedding pros in South Florida. Mind sharing with me, too? faeriedust500@gmail.com Just curious b/c I'm still in the booking phase myself...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm curious as to who it may be. I had an incident with this as well, but ended up brushing it off due to the vendor's stellar rep. Can you please email me: ups783@aol.com
  • Options
    Lacey36Lacey36 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Tiffany - you may recognize my other email lacey.laudicina@gmail.com could you email it to that one? im wondering who this is and if i was looking into them or not.
    My Bio Photobucket Number Invited 152 image Number Attending 109 image Number Declined 43 image Number Not Replied 0 image RSVP Date June 30th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Can you email me who the vendor was as well please? mcmahaee @ email. uc. edu    Thanks :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely unprofessional, especially if it's unsolicited. Like did you mention another vendor and then this one gave you an opinion on that one? Even THEN they should just stay quiet but to offer up and BASH others in the business is tacky and unprofessional. Like Vicki said, if they are good, the work will speak for itself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    His comments were definitely unsolicited!! I agree with you ladies though---there are way too many vendors for me to continue to consider this one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards