Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Mexico Silliness

I've never been on wedding bee before, and when searching for info on Mexican resorts, google dumped me on their honeymoon board. You would not believe the amount of Mexico mayhem on their boards. Very recent posts indicate that there is suddenly violence in the Riviera Maya region, and that you would be a moron to vacation there.

Are these women just off their rockers? I don't see a lot on the knot boards concerning safety in Mexico, but several threads over there start with "why you shouldn't go to Mexico"

Thoughts? Are they nuts?  Is there sudden violence? Has anyone hmed there recently and been shot at?

I'm very much of the mindset that saying you shouldn't HM in Cancun because there's violence in Juarez is like saying you shouldn't go to Portland, Maine because there's gang violence in L.A., but these women are convinced that there's a media conspiracy and people are going missing in the Yucatan daily.

Thanks for humouring me.

Re: Mexico Silliness

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Don't believe all that! I went to Tulum (2 hours south of Cancun) last year and it was wonderful. Stayed at an eco-resort, not some crazy mega-resort behind a fortress of walls and security, and I never felt unsafe at all. The people are amazingly friendly! Just use the same common sense you would in any foreign country/new place. I loved Mexico--I'd go back in a heartbeat! :)
  • Options
    ive been there every december for 10 years and have never had an issue.
    recently they have actually stepped up security in the area to make sure there isn't anything 'funny' going on if you knwo what i mean. especially in cancun. i was talking to one of the watiers at our resort where we stay every year. he said that they have started doing random road blocks into and out of the area to make sure that whoever is coming and going aren't doing anythign illegal. it's the federales, not the regular police. the guys in the full black with the machine guns. good for them-they dont want anything screwing with the huge amount of revenue that the tourist industry brings in. i'm glad to see the pro-active approach to the violence that is going on in so many other areas. it's really unfortunate that (in some cases) the whole country is getting a bad rep because of a few distant areas.

• Options
    and my logic tells me that if there was sudden drug related violence like that going on in juarez that it would be all over the news. it's not. anywhere. i call false.

• Options
    They're idiots.

If you go to tourist type places like Cancun and RM, especially if you stay on the resort the whole time, I really don't think there's much to fear.
  • Options
    This is what I was assuming. And the general feeling I get on these boards is that Mexico is perfectly fine. It's driving me nuts because my dad suddenly objects to us going to Play del Carmen, and won't leave me alone about it.

It just surprised me because over on weddingbee.com there was maybe 1 Mexico supporter for every 9 people who said "Oh Lordy Lord, you'll wind up a drug mule the moment you step off the plane!"

It was just surprising. Glad to know that you ladies at least have had positive wonderful experiences.
  • Options
    Here is the US Travel warning on Mexico, it tells you state by state, so you can see if the area you are going to is on it, I don't think any of the "Vacation" spots have warnings though.
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html
  • Options
    I live in San Diego.  Honestly, I personally wouldn't travel to Mexico but I know people that do and they say it is relatively safe.  Just make sure to stay on the resorts.  I think that there are occasionally drug-related violent crimes in resort areas but it isn't as common like it is in Juaraz or TJ.  I'd just make sure to stay on the resort and definitely register with the US State Department before you leave (which is something you really should do whenever you travel overseas, regardless of destination).  Research where you stay and make sure that you have reliable, safe transportation to and from the airport/resort.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Future, can I ask why you wouldn't go to Mexico?

Can you give me some specific examples of drug related crimes in Cancun?
  • Options
    I just have never had an interest in going to Mexico.  I have lived down here for 10 years and went to college in the area.  After a couple of years, my college advised us not to go down there for spring break due to the upswing in violence in TJ and other resort areas.  It got to the point that by the time I finished my Master's degree there (6 years after I started there) that the universities in the area were telling students to avoid going there.

I don't have specific examples per se but I know that robberies are increasing in all parts of Mexico.  There have been some instances of kidnappings near those areas but I don't think that it is affecting tourists as much.  

It's more of just a personal preference in not wanting to go to Mexico or any other place that the State Department has travel warnings about.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We've been to Mexico (Riviera Maya & Playa Del Carmen area) twice in the past year. I love it there, and have never felt unsafe. I get way more worried about my safety when I go to NYC!!! 

Laura 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_mexico-silliness?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:f613a146-8dfd-4b37-98f5-b5094c6bbe3bPost:a70029a3-b643-4e12-8561-c017eb10281a">Re: Mexico Silliness</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't heard too much but i do know a couple from alberta were recently in a major vacation hotspot (not sure where). She got into an elevator late at night & raped, beaten & left for dead. They found the man, he was a local that snuck in the backdoor of the wristband gated hotel . It happens, but it can happen anywhere. 
    Posted by sweetcanadian1979[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's not just a Mexico thing at all. Rapes unfortunately can happen anywhere.
  • Options
    As others have said, to me, it just makes absolutely no sense to worry about crime in the Tijuana or Juarez areas when you are traveling to the Riviera Maya.  That is like worrying about a shooting in NYC when you live in the Midwest.  Yes, there are travel warnings for part of Mexico - but that is no reason to stay out of the entire country. 

We will be honeymooning in the Riviera Maya and I am incredibly excited and have no concerns re: violence or safety issues.  Lots of people have told us we are crazy for booking a honeymoon there, and I am really tired of people being so ill-informed about what is actually going on down there. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_mexico-silliness?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:f613a146-8dfd-4b37-98f5-b5094c6bbe3bPost:0456db60-2e7e-407f-a5a6-9dfb183ef649">Re: Mexico Silliness</a>:
    [QUOTE]As others have said, to me, it just makes absolutely no sense to worry about crime in the Tijuana or Juarez areas when you are traveling to the Riviera Maya.  That is like worrying about a shooting in NYC when you live in the Midwest.<strong>  Yes, there are travel warnings for part of Mexico - but that is no reason to stay out of the entire country.</strong>  We will be honeymooning in the Riviera Maya and I am incredibly excited and have no concerns re: violence or safety issues.  <strong>Lots of people have told us we are crazy for booking a honeymoon there, and I am really tired of people being so ill-informed about what is actually going on down there. </strong>
    Posted by butterflyjumper1[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I think that is a very good reason to stay out of the whole country.  And how is someone who is from san diego "ill-informed?" don't get it....i briefly considered honeymooning there with FI but he said no after talking to cop friends of his and reading articles like these:</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://travelonadream.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/violence-affects-mexican-riviera-sailings/" rel="nofollow">http://travelonadream.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/violence-affects-mexican-riviera-sailings/</a></div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-11/world/mexico.violence.acapulco_1_sinaloa-drug-cartel-acapulco-alejandro-poire?_s=PM:WORLD" rel="nofollow">http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-11/world/mexico.violence.acapulco_1_sinaloa-drug-cartel-acapulco-alejandro-poire?_s=PM:WORLD</a></div><div>
    </div><div>His law enforncement friends all said that it is worse than the media is reporting.</div>
  • Options
    As other posters mentioned Princess, a travel warning for parts of Mexico is not a good reason. There are violent crimes all over the U.S.

I wouldn't tell someone not to go skiing in Aspen because of gang violence in L.A. It's just simple logic.

There are zero travel warnings for the Yucatan region according to the state dept's website.

And why would someone from San Diego be better informed about Cancun? I live in Maine, but I couldn't tell you a darn thing about the Canadian health care system. That logic is also flawed.

Do his law enforcement friends work in Cancun? I've also read the opposite. That the media is trumping up violence allegations in Mexico. It could be either. My original post was asking girls who had gone whether or not they felt safe. It seems that people who have actually been, and who are not basing their opinions on hearsay, felt safe and had an awesome honeymoon.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't feel like your logic makes sense.
  • Options
    Why bother asking if you don't want to hear what others have to say?  So you'd ratehr just have people tell you what you want to hear?  I've known plenty of people who have gone and they said that they did not leave the hotel once while they were there and had armed security guards taking them to and from the airport.  Sorry, not exactly my idea of a good honeymoon but everyone obviously will do hwat they want
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_mexico-silliness?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:f613a146-8dfd-4b37-98f5-b5094c6bbe3bPost:84116cd1-2a48-4b2e-8af4-eb3784946845">Re: Mexico Silliness</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why bother asking if you don't want to hear what others have to say?  So you'd ratehr just have people tell you what you want to hear?  I've known plenty of people who have gone and they said that they did not leave the hotel once while they were there and had armed security guards taking them to and from the airport.  Sorry, not exactly my idea of a good honeymoon but everyone obviously will do hwat they want
    Posted by Princessvera4712[/QUOTE]

I would love to hear what people who have actually been to Cancun have to say.

P.S. I noticed you have two posts. weird.
  • Options
    OP, you have tried to discount both my opinion and another bride who said something that didnt fit with you idyllic vision/opinion of mexico. BTW, some of FI law enforcement friends work for the FBI dealing with drugs so I dont think their opinions are "hearsay". But apparently CNN is full of crap and hearsay. And so what I have 2 posts? Now I have 3. I have never felt the need to seek the opinions of anonymous strangers about my wedding but enjoy reading these blogs. I felt compelled to share a different point of view, which you did ask for. Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon. I think I'll stick to lurking from now on or at least post a less snarky blog site.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_mexico-silliness?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:f613a146-8dfd-4b37-98f5-b5094c6bbe3bPost:0063c512-0491-40fc-b347-7fededcfdc30">Re: Mexico Silliness</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP, you have tried to discount both my opinion and another bride who said something that didnt fit with you idyllic vision/opinion of mexico. BTW, some of FI law enforcement friends work for the FBI dealing with drugs so I dont think their opinions are "hearsay". But apparently CNN is full of crap and hearsay. And so what I have 2 posts? Now I have 3. I have never felt the need to seek the opinions of anonymous strangers about my wedding but enjoy reading these blogs. I felt compelled to share a different point of view, which you did ask for. Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon. I think I'll stick to lurking from now on or at least post a less snarky blog site.

No one was being snarky and yours was the only post I disagreed with. You haven't been lurking. You just signed up yesterday. You're either a troll, or you're futuremrs. You were upset someone said you didn't know what you were talking about as futuremrs, so you signed up for another account, and are defending yourself. Happens all the time. I'm not being snarky. I asked for the opinions of people who had travelled to Mexico. You have not travelled to Mexico.

Please don't bother logging into your fake account to reply. I'm not going to argue further with a troll.
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I agree with pp's who find it ridiculous to avoid an entire country because of unrest that has happened up near the border cities when considering vacationing in the Riviera Maya. I've been there 4 times, twice in the past year and never felt unsafe at all. We were able to leave our resort and go into town on our own and walk around and felt safer there than we do sometimes at home.

I would also like to point out that we feel much safer in Cancun than in Jamaica or the Dominican Republic where you really shouldn't leave your resort unless you're on a guided tour. And yet I still enjoy visiting these countries and don't avoid them either.

To those who think we're crazy, please read the article that is a sticky at the top of the honeymoon board for a little perspective. It shows how there is much higher violence/crime in most US cities than in Mexico.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_mexico-silliness?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:f613a146-8dfd-4b37-98f5-b5094c6bbe3bPost:a85491cf-8e88-410e-abd7-3d115e44bf53">Re: Mexico Silliness</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mexico Silliness : I think that is a very good reason to stay out of the whole country.  And how is someone who is from san diego "ill-informed?" don't get it....i briefly considered honeymooning there with FI but he said no after talking to cop friends of his and reading articles like these: <a href="http://travelonadream.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/violence-affects-mexican-riviera-sailings/" rel="nofollow">http://travelonadream.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/violence-affects-mexican-riviera-sailings/</a> <a href="http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-11/world/mexico.violence.acapulco_1_sinaloa-drug-cartel-acapulco-alejandro-poire?_s=PM:WORLD" rel="nofollow">http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-11/world/mexico.violence.acapulco_1_sinaloa-drug-cartel-acapulco-alejandro-poire?_s=PM:WORLD</a> His law enforncement friends all said that it is worse than the media is reporting.

I actually wasn't referring to you, aka "futuremrs" in my post - you are crazy, girl! calm down! why are you being so argumentative?

and i am curious, how does living in san diego make you an expert on an entire country?
  • Options
    I have no idea who that other person is.  I certainly don't have time to create fake account to stir up drama with people on the internet.  I did not mean to come off as rude.  We just hear about stuff on the news a lot here...that's all I meant by my being from San Diego comment.  And from what I knew from going to college down here.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards