Honeymoon Discussions

Montreal or Napa/Sonoma...has anyone been to either?

Good evening all!

I am considering either Wine Country or Montreal for our Honeymoon, which will be next June. They both seem very romantic and are comparable in price, has anyone been to both/either? If so, where did you stay and how was your experience? We would probably be in either location for 4 or 5 days.
Thanks!
-Meg

Re: Montreal or Napa/Sonoma...has anyone been to either?

• I've been to Montreal a couple of times.  It will be beautiful in summer time.  There are plenty of bars, restaurants and things to see.  Old montreal is beautiful and the city is very romantic.

The couple of times I've been I stayed at the Marriott and Sheraton near the Bell centre.  They were both pretty nice hotels and good locations.  I guess it would just depened on what you wanted to be near.
  • I go to Napa and Sonoma fairly often.  That area is probably one of the most beautiful in the US, all the vineyards surrounded by rolling hills.  If you can, visit Sterling, which involves a gondola ride up to the hillside winery, gorgeous!  Oh, and have lunch (or dinner if you can afford it) on the famous row of Michelin-starred restaurants.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_montreal-napasonomahas-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:f9b7dcaf-2ab3-4199-b108-36d327d1dc9fPost:b05d42e6-7204-4053-a98a-7cac07e8028f">Re: Montreal or Napa/Sonoma...has anyone been to either?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been to Montreal a couple of times.  It will be beautiful in summer time.  There are plenty of bars, restaurants and things to see.  <strong>Old montreal is beautiful and the city is very romantic.</strong> The couple of times I've been I stayed at the Marriott and Sheraton near the Bell centre.  They were both pretty nice hotels and good locations.  I guess it would just depened on what you wanted to be near.
    Posted by dizzygoo82[/QUOTE]

Completely agree, although I went with friends, but I can see how it would be romantic.  Beautiful architecture and you can take a horse and carriage ride.  I found it affordable too.  I stayed at the Marriott next to the Bell Centre, too.  It was a nice hotel and had a great breakfast buffet.  The hotel was within blocks of Old Montreal. 

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • The breakfast buffet at the Marriott was incredible!!!  I totally agree with you there :)
  • I haven't been to Montreal, but have been researching the area around Sonoma for our California honeymoon. My question to you would be this: What do you see yourself doing on your honeymoon? What do you and your fiance like?

Montreal is a big city, with a lot of history, and I'm sure there are lovely things to see and do. The wine country will be wide open spaces with lots of B&B's and maybe an hour or less from the Pacific Ocean. If you like wine, and want to see vineyards and eat at great restaurants, then you have your decision.

We chose CA for our trip this coming September because we saw ourselves driving down the coast of CA in a convertible (we have 14 days).

Also, look into flights into one city and returning from another. People forget this option, and it really is not that much more expensive. Even though we are spending longer on our honeymoon, we are flying into San Fran from Detroit, and returning from San Diego, driving the coast to get there. But we like driving vacations with lots of scenery. You could do this in 5 days, because actual drive time from San Fran to LA is about 5 hrs (longer if you are leisurely about it).

Good luck.

• meduzaxmeduzax member
    First Comment
    I have been to both Montreal and Napa/Sonoma Valley.  Both are amazing to see and experience.  Both places are very unique.  It depends what you like better and enjoy more.  Do you want to be in a country side or city? 
    Always One Happy Bride!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_montreal-napasonomahas-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:f9b7dcaf-2ab3-4199-b108-36d327d1dc9fPost:d92e14d3-472c-4810-a36b-492952d6d819">Montreal or Napa/Sonoma...has anyone been to either?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good evening all! I am considering either Wine Country or Montreal for our Honeymoon, which will be next June. They both seem very romantic and are comparable in price, has anyone been to both/either? If so, where did you stay and how was your experience? We would probably be in either location for 4 or 5 days. Thanks! -Meg
    Posted by MegTC[/QUOTE]

<div>I live in SF so I go to wine country frequently (in fact, for my bachelorette party my fiance rented me a house in Sonoma and a vehicle to haul me and 17 of my girlfriends around Sonoma for the weekend), and it is gorgeous!  However, you'd need to be a real wine / art / spa person to spend 4-5 days up there.  </div><div>
    </div><div>If you do go, some of my favorite wineries include:</div><div>
    </div><div>-Gloria Ferrer Sparkling Wines (Sonoma)</div><div>-Sebastiani (Sonoma)</div><div>-Ravenswood (reds - Sonoma)</div><div>
    </div><div>I can't remember the name of the two wineries I really like in Napa but I'll try to track them down.  If you're looking for hotels, I think Sonoma has a Fairmont (maybe Four Seasons?) that flanks the town square there, and Napa / Yountville area have some great places as well.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you REALLY want to splurge, try to get a reservation at French Laundry in Yountville for dinner.  The restaurant is well known as the best in the Bay Area / Northern California.  You need to make reservations 3 months to the day, and good luck!  Be prepared for the meal to set you back about $300 a piece, and that's without wine - but it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience that every person who lives in SF covets.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Enjoy wherever you go!</div>
  • Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I live in Montreal and June is one hell of a month to be here!  The Jazz festival is running from June 25th to July 4th this year so if you are in town you can enjoy free music shows all day long.  For others you need to pay but there are a lot of good musicians that come and perform free of charge.  There isn't only Jazz music either.

Old Montreal is beautiful. You can walk along old cobblestone streets, there are little souvenir shops that you can go in and browse.  The old port is fantastic for a daytime stroll.  I wouldn't suggest eating in the Old POrt because they tend to charge extra because of location. 

Downtown (a couple of blocks away by walking from the Old Port) is amazing.  You have every kind of club imaginable.  Stores are pretty good as well.  There's a whole underground city of shopping so in case it rains you don't have to go outside and just shop all day.

Mount Royal is a beautiful park to visit, as are the botanical gardens.  In June the botanical Gardens are in full bloom so it's a beautiful sight.

There are TONS of affordable hotels downtown and the metro is really easy to understand so you don't even have to stay at a downtown hotel.  Just see if there's one near a metro and you can get to every single major tourist attraction in Montreal that way.

PM me if you want/need more info !
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards