Florida-South Florida

{Joanne}

Random question, but I figured maybe it was a geographical issue. Do you ever get little fly looking gnats in your house? They appeared a few weeks ago and I can't get these biitches out. Have you had them? Do you know how to get rid of them? Thanks!!

Re: {Joanne}

• edited December 2011
    totally butting in .... they might be fruit flies, sometimes we get them at work if we don't clean out the drains, or leave wet rags laying around .... or something like that. any chance there's any standing water? or you need a new sponge in your kitchen, or anything like that?
  • edited December 2011
    No standing water, but I do leave the patio door open a lot and it's not screened in. I have lots of fruit in the house....maybe that's it? How do I get rid of them?!?!
  • edited December 2011
    LMAO!!! I get those too and I think recently they were on the cantaloupes I brought home. But in the past I had a ton and you might want to google how to do it because it's something like you create a cone with paper and place it in a jar filled with vinegar and water? Lemme try to find it....
  • edited December 2011
    Make a funnel trap: Make a cone out of a sheet of paper (like a funnel). Tape the outside of the cone so that it stays in place.Check that the cone fits snugly into a glass or cup.Cut off the tip of the cone so that you now have a funnel.Pour a small amount of cider vinegar into the glass or cup. (Rum mixed with orange juice also works very well - additionally, a half teaspoon of baker's yeast in water can also suffice)Insert the funnel into the glass or cup, but don't let the bottom of the funnel touch the liquid. Tape the funnel in two or three places from the outside so that there is no gap between the glass and the cone.Place your newly created trap on a flat surface. The flies will be attracted by the smell of the fruity vinegar and fly into the cone. The flies will slip down the cone and will either land in the vinegar and drown or will be trapped and not able to get back out. If you leave the trap overnight, the trapped fruit flies will eventually fall into the vinegar and drown.
  • edited December 2011
    OMG thank you! We're going crazy here trying to kill flys!!! Thank you so much!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards