Ohio-Cleveland

Becoming an officiant - ordained minister in OHIO

Hello,

I called the Secretary of State's office for guidelines so our uncle could marry us in our out of town wedding & they were not helpful. They said they could not give us any guidelines or direction to what they approve.

Does anyone know which site/certification works for the state of Ohio so we can make sure he chooses the correct site/agency to get licensed through?

Thanks!

Bridgette

Re: Becoming an officiant - ordained minister in OHIO

• Visit the Universal Life Church website. Pretty sure they are accepted in ohio. You might be better off checking in your county to verify.
  • we are having a friend of ours (who lives in NY state) become ordained through the Universal Life Church in order to marry us in Ohio. I did a lot of research, and it looks like once they are ordained they then need to submit some paperwork to the state to become officially licensed. This costs about $10. If you end up finding out differently please post what you find, as I am a bit nervous about getting it right as well!
  • Contact the clerk of courts office in the county where you are getting married.  They will help you out.  Do not trust anyone else.  My brother's friend essentially officiated a show because the internet license that she got wasn't valid in the state they got married in.  Two days after the "wedding" they went to the courthouse to get married.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • They won't confirm if it will work for me or not, so frustrating. I didn't call the county though - I will do that today & let you know.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards