Ohio-Cleveland

ceremony in a church

We are in desperate need of a church ceremony site. We dont belong to a church, but I have always wanted to walk down an isle. My fiance is not a big fan of the classes that most require you to take. We are on a very tight budget and running out of time. We have a reception site in Willoughby hills, ohio on October 24, 2010. Please if anyone can help, I would appreciate it very much.

Re: ceremony in a church

• starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Classes?  My church didn't require us to take any classes.  I mean, we had a few meetings with the priest and then pre-cana that took a few hours out of our day, but no classes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think only Catholic churches require classes, but not totally sure. DH and I were marrried in a United Methodist church (neither of us are/were members and I'm not even UM). We didn't have to do counseling or classes to be married there. Our location was in Middleburg Hts (nowhere close to where you need), but check out UM churches in your area. Unitarian Universalist (I think that's the term) churches are also very liberal about marrying nonmembers. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We actually live in Middleburg Hts. But we are holding the reception in Willoughby Hills. Most the churches we have found that we like charge a ridiculous fee or have required meetings or classes. Good news though, I talked to someone from the church I grew up in and it may be a possibility... I will keep everyone informed. Thank you for the help

Jess
  • JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck with the church. :-) FWIW, we were married at Pleasant Hills United Methodist church in Middleburg Hts. Pastor Buckeye was very nice and we did not have to attend any classes. IIRC, we met with him once before the wedding. Price was around $300-ish for everything we needed ceremony-wise (organist would have been extra if we needed one) and we were not members (and still aren't) of the church. I think they may marry members at no cost (well, a donation would probably be appreciated)? Pleasant Hills has a more modern look to it, but if you want something more old-style, there's a UM church in downtown Berea (right near B-W) that we considered that also marries nonmembers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just FYI, Catholic Churches do not require classes (I'm catholic, got married in a catholic church... no classes required).  They only require a few meetings with the priest and a pre-cana day (few hours with your spouse at a retreat-type event).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards