Ohio-Cleveland
Options

Wheelchair-friendly ceremony and/or reception venue?

My fiance and I are looking to get married in Summer 2012 and are beginning to look for venues - we want a church or church-like setting for the ceremony and a country club-esque setting for the reception, for about 150-175 people. Of course, we're on a super-tight budget, too. 

Three of my close family memebers (my great-uncle, my great-aunt/godmother, and my great-grandmother) can only get around outside of their homes with a wheelchair, so I need places that won't be too difficult for them (nothing like inner-city or busy streets).  I've been looking at places in Grafton, Lorain, and the like... the majority of my family is west of Cleveland, in the North Olmsted/Columbia Station/Brunswick area, and I'd like to keep it pretty close. Any ideas? 
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wheelchair-friendly ceremony and/or reception venue?

• Options
    ayamm1123ayamm1123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as I understand it, all public buildings have to be ADA accessible so you should be good with any churches and CC's. The difficulty becomes outdoor locations where the terrain makes wheelchairs difficult to get through.  HTH!
    Ruby's Banquet Hall in Grafton comes to mind for affordability and uniqueness. 
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For reception, the Belarusan American Community Center in Strongsville is easily wheelchair accessible. There are no stairs and everything is on the main level. ADA compliant restrooms, of course. We had our reception (about 175 guests) there and it was great. They also only host one event at a time, so no potential party-crashers. Their food is awesome (especially the Lemon Chicken) and per person price is around $32. BYOB on the alcohol and that saves you $$.

Our ceremony was at the Pleasant Hills United Methodist Church in nearby Middleburg Hts. No steps there either, IIRC. Also, you don't need to be members. Neither DH nor I are or were and it cost us around $350 to get married there. No special classes to take either.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I need to be more specific - I know that all places are wheelchair accessible, I'm just looking for places that are more wheelchair-friendly... like, not a lot of traffic and no natural earth terrain that would make manuevering wheelchairs difficult. 

I've actually looked into Ruby's a bit, and I'm excited to actually check the place out in person. And the church in Middleburg Heights looks really nice, and I like the price! Thanks for your help! :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    HarvestKarmaHarvestKarma member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having our ceremony and reception at Michaud's in Strongsville and it is entirely wheelchair accessable.  That was a must for us, too, as my Uncle is wheelchair bound. 
    image "As she has planted, so does she harvest; such is the field of karma." Sri Guru Granth Sahib
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We checked into Rubys back when we first started planning but sadly the rental price was our whole budget...:(  for their cheapest packge...but it is very nice in there.  We are looking into the Grafton Twp. Hall (fire station) because my family has had showers etc there before and my uncle works there :)  Or there is the Campground right down the rd you could check out too...dunno about wheelchair access...but it is a nice log cabin.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards