Florida-South Florida
Options

Marriage License (long question - sorry!)

Hey ladies,

Fiance and I moved from Florida to Oregon four months ago.  We are still, however, getting married in Key West on May 29th.  I got my Oregon Driver's License shortly after we moved, however, fiance being the procrastinator that he is, just went to the DMV get his license & because he waited so long, Florida suspended his driver's license.  (It's a long story -- but it has something to do with insurance).  The problem is that Oregon won't issue him a license until he gets the problem squared away in Florida.

We are in the process of getting it fixed, but it's a lengthy process and I'm concerned he won't have his Oregon license before our wedding in 30 days.  In that case, he'd still be technically be a Florida citizen with a Florida I.D., meaning we'd have a 3 day waiting period once we get our marriage license before we can get married.  Because of work schedules, it's going to be difficult to get down there in enough time to allow a full 3 days before our wedding. 

We could use his passport  & I guess that would work, but my question is: what if we have no proof that he's an Oregon citizen?  I called the clerk of courts in Key West to ask this question and I received some strange advice -- basically she told me to put whatever state I want on the paperwork because they don't check I.D.'s.   

Does anybody know if that is the case?  Will a passport be sufficient to get a marriage license?  Does he need to prove that he's NOT a citizen of Florida in order to avoid the 3 day waiting period? 

I'm seriously stressing out about this stupid situation that we've gotten ourselves into.  I'm having visions of us not being able to get married because of this, and I'm scared.  Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your responses!!! 

Re: Marriage License (long question - sorry!)

• Options
    AlispidaliAlispidali member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not positive.  I think you have to wait the 3 day waiting period unless you take the class.  I don't think that has anything to do with what state you are from.  I think you just need forms of id, not a license necessarily.  I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    bluebookbluebook member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are correct that if you are not a Florida resident you do NOT have to take the class OR wait 3 days.  We gave them our Mass IDs so I do not know. However, your FI can prove OR residency by showing bills in his name in Oregon, as well as prove his identity with a passport. Bills + lease in Oregon should be enough to show anyone that he is an Oregon resident.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would give you the same advice as above - I'm sure there are ways to go about it.  FI and I are both FL residents and just presented our drivers licenses - I dont think it would have mattered if we handed them passports or even school ID's because I dont think they even looked at them!
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the passport should work, or any kind of state ID. Not sure about the 3 day waiting period. Go to the courts website maybe they have something, I do remember researching this because I live in AL and we are getting married in FL and I think they said something about ID OR PASSPORT.
  • Options
    jennbentjennbent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all SO much!  You've made me feel much better!  I really appreciate all of the responses!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Can he get and ID without it being a license..u do not need to have a valid license to get it...maybe he can do that...I know FL does it but u can check with Oregon
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    and I orignally wanted to get married in Keywest and u are right if you are NOT from FL you do not have to wait 3 days... :)
  • Options
    jennbentjennbent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YES!  We are going tomorrow to see if they'll allow him to get an Oregon ID, and hopefully, that will solve the problem.  We just aren't sure yet if the problem with the FL license will prevent him from getting an I.D. in OR.  Thank you all so much again for your help!!!
  • Options
    Paige6Paige6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Take a deep breath...  My fiance and I just went and got our marriage liscence today.  You need a picture ID to prove who you are for identity purposes.  Im not sure if a passport would work but it might.  An ID card would for sure.   You don't have to have a drivers liscense to be able to get married.  anyone who is a US citizen can get an ID card.  You just need to prove that you are living here in Florida now.  If he is still recieving mail in Oregon then get a Oregon  ID card.  Its really not a big deal.  In Key West they probably don't check ID's.  But the state will for your marriage to be valid. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards