Ohio-Cleveland
Options

Getting Ordained online in Ohio?

Hi All--
Question about officiating:
We have a family friend that is a city prosecutor.  His relative is a judge and had mentioned a while back that some judges (depending on the city) have the power to grant a "judge for the week" sort of thing to some folks (I don't know what the qualifications for this are) that request so they can officiate a wedding.  The issue is, the judge relative is the only one in our city that can grant the "judge for the week status".  Since the family friend and his relative are in the same city and are related, the judge relative can't grant this sort of designation to the family friend (nepotism rules).  Additionally, only a judge in a city you either work or live in can grant these and the family friend lives and works in the same city.

My question is around online ordaination.  We would still like this family friend to officiate so I looked into getting ordained online.  I know that the state of Ohio requires those who can legally officiate, register with the state for a fee.  If you are not a justice of the peace, you have to give your religious group affiliation and you have to be rightfully ordained.  Can someone in Ohio get ordained online and use the church related to the online ordaination as their religious group affiliation?  Has anyone done this?

Re: Getting Ordained online in Ohio?

• Options
    JenLeeSJenLeeS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes. Our good friend got ordained online and is marrying us. He's done two other weddings in Ohio, so unless something has changed, you should be fine!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I figured it wouldn't be an issue but just wanted to make sure someone else has done it :)
  • Options
    JenLeeSJenLeeS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You know, you got me thinking that I should make sure we're OK for our ceremony. Luckily the state has a search function on its website to look up ordained ministers, and our friend is still designated as active. So it seems to me you'll just need your minister to get ordained online and then register with the state for the $10 fee and that will be that ... it seems to not expire or anything!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    showmeadressshowmeadress member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do either of you happen to know if the person getting ordained has to be an Ohio resident?
  • Options
    JenLeeSJenLeeS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm ... I don't know that. But I doubt it. I think you just need to go online, get ordained, and then provide your paperwork to the appropriate state department proving that you are in fact ordained under the church affiliation you claim. All of this varies by state, though, obviously. I'm sure you can find it online on the Secretary of State's website. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards