Florida-South Florida
Options

What is your First Dance, Father/Daughter and Mother/Son songs?

Before FI popped the question we always had one song in mind to use for as our first song, "To make you feel my love" by Adele. However, ever since I have heard "Steady as we go" by Dave Matthews Band...I'm torn. FI favors the Adele song and I'm favoring the DMB song. I know we still have time to decided on which one we will use for our first dance.

I have selected a Spanish song to dance with my dad which the lyrics mean the world to me and how I feel towards my dad.

As for the mother/son dance, we're pretty stumped, lol. FI did not want to dance with his mom but after telling him the story of a good friend of mine who regrets not having danced with his mom (his mom had MS and wheelchair bound), it pretty much changed his mind. Thankfully, FMIL will dance at with her only child on our wedding day.

Suggestions on mother/son songs?

What are/were the songs you have chosen?

Re: What is your First Dance, Father/Daughter and Mother/Son songs?

• Options
    carl4252003carl4252003 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    First Dance... Finally Forever by Chris Cornell ... (hes the lead singer of Soundgarden - he wrote the song for his wife and performed it at their wedding)

Father / Daughter and Mother / Son Dance - Frank Sinatra - The way you look tonight ... we danced at the same time ... normally people lose interest staring at 2 people dancing for 4 minutes to a song ... so we got both dances over with at the same time ... and i even had my stepdad cut in half way thru lol ... 

This was our FAVORITE part of wedding planning ... we are both into music ... especialy him being a musician and all ... he even sang and performed a song at the ceremony ... 

We like the Rock / Alternative aspect of it ... so it you need any mroe suggestions ... lemme know .. 

HTH!!! 

IlanaandDanWedding291of1402Anniversary
  • Options
    FI and I's "song" has always been "Honeybee" by Blake Shelton. He sang it to me when he proposed and we knew off the bat it would be our first song. My Father/Daughter song "I loved her first", it was his choice. And Idk what FI and his mother are dancing too, she wanted something upbeat. She had considered "Walking on sunshine" and some other things.
    SoFla December Siggy: Our favorite Holiday pic=Christmas 2011, 3 days after we got engaged 7E8C9975-2584-46D6-9348-98F987844629-655-00000022C95C02AF magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
    Free Disney Tickers https://apps.facebook.com/Disney-Weddings/sites/theprincessandthegator
  • Options
    As of now, I really want, "Thank You for Loving Me" by Bon Jovi for our first song.  He hasn't come up with any other songs, so I think I'll win on that one. lol 
    For my father/daughter dance, we're going to do, "My Girl" by the Temptations.  Dad's a big oldies fan so he was happy when I suggested that. :-)
    And we're stuck too for the mother/son dance.  I told FI him or his mom can choose, but he hasn't come up with anything yet.  I'll have to ask his mom soon. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Nov. SoFla Siggy -Fav. Registry Item- Kitchen Aid from my BP!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_what-is-your-first-dance-fatherdaughter-and-motherson-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:bbcc22b9-3bcc-414a-af2d-8a354adf68b3Post:bec20146-577b-446a-8784-dc0079e3449d">Re: What is your First Dance, Father/Daughter and Mother/Son songs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]First Dance... Finally Forever by Chris Cornell ... (hes the lead singer of Soundgarden - he wrote the song for his wife and performed it at their wedding) <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekxQHI1cJtA" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekxQHI1cJtA</a> Father / Daughter and Mother / Son Dance - Frank Sinatra - The way you look tonight ... we danced at the same time ... normally people lose interest staring at 2 people dancing for 4 minutes to a song ... so we got both dances over with at the same time ... and i even had my stepdad cut in half way thru lol ...  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9ZGKALMMuc" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9ZGKALMMuc</a> This was our FAVORITE part of wedding planning ... we are both into music ... especialy him being a musician and all ... he even sang and performed a song at the ceremony ...  We like the Rock / Alternative aspect of it ... so it you need any mroe suggestions ... lemme know ..  HTH!!! 
    Posted by carl4252003[/QUOTE]

Nice selection! I really like you and your hubby danced with your parents together. I bet the pictures look great. I would've gone for that option but since FI decided very early on he did not want to dance with his mom and I found the song I really want to dance with my dad....it was all good. Then I started thinking about how his mom would feel if she never got to dance with her only child on our wedding day and if FI would ever regret it and voiced my concern to FI. He had a change of our heart which I am glad about it. He said he won't have long song, lol.
  • Options
    I too would like something upbeat for FI and his mom. I don't think an emotional, sappy song is their style and I don't thinnk FI would pick such a song to dance to. Who know's what he will end up choosing but knowing him...he's going to wait for the very last minute to decide :/
  • Options
    why not just have him dance with his mom to the same song you and your father are dancing to ... no one says that the song has to have "specific" meaning to the pair dancing ... if he doesnt want to dance with her and is kinda just doing it to save face ... maybe ... dancing at the same time is exactly what you guys need! 

we also had a cheorgraphed first dance which made it SOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun!

HTH!!! =)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_what-is-your-first-dance-fatherdaughter-and-motherson-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:bbcc22b9-3bcc-414a-af2d-8a354adf68b3Post:23968f71-28ee-496f-ada1-4f7e294f5821">Re: What is your First Dance, Father/Daughter and Mother/Son songs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]why not just have him dance with his mom to the same song you and your father are dancing to ... no one says that the song has to have "specific" meaning to the pair dancing ... if he doesnt want to dance with her and is kinda just doing it to save face ... maybe ... dancing at the same time is exactly what you guys need!  we also had a cheorgraphed first dance which made it SOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun! HTH!!! =)
    Posted by carl4252003[/QUOTE]

The song I picked out talks about a girl describing her father and everything he has done for her in her life and how I will always be his daughter and he will always be my hero. It might be a bit akward for FI and his mom to dance to this song. I did suggest to FI I would switch songs so we can both dance with our parents and he said "no" because the song I picked was perfect for my dad and I and he knows my dad would love it.

Although FI loves his mom dearly, their relationship hasn't always been the best. However,
    their relationship has improved a lot from how it was before, thankfully! FI did tell me he didn't want a sappy song (like the one I picked) to dance with his mom. FI has a wide selection since he is open to English and Spanish songs, lol.
  • Options
    honestly ... no one will pay attention to the song or the words ... actually or even him ... the entire time we did our parent dances ... all eyes were on the bride ... him and his mom arent the closest but he wanted to do a dance ... i say go for it to whatever song even if its the sappy one about a girl and her father ... no one will evne nitpick or pay attention ... its your day! tweak it to fit you guys! =)
  • Options
    Ah, I don't know! And we have to pick soon!! Well for first dance we are thinking of green eyes by coldplay (i have green eyes!) and then having the dj transition it into "our song" which is only girl in the word (silly i know but it's the memories that are w/ a song more then the song). this way we get everyone up on the dance floor pretty quickly...still not sure yet though...
  • Options
    DH and I did for our dance - Color of Love/Kiss of LIfe by Sade and Father/Daughter Dance - Have I Told you Lately - Rod Stewart. My father used to sing that song to me all the time.

DH and his mother did not do a mother/son dance - he considered it and would have done - Because you loved me by Celine Dion but she's not into being the center of attention and we were fine with that.

*** TTC since 10/2010 (no planned bc since 2007) Me (31) Sept 2012 - DX Luteal Phase Defect. HSG 8/2012: both tubes are open, cervix and lining look good; hypothyroidism; DH (35) SA Normal Clomid 50mg, trigger
    10/2012 BFFN 1st cycle on clomid 50mg w/trigger shot, progesterone level 19.7, cd28 - hcg level 0.
    ***12/2012 Cycle #25 TTA break until March 2013***
    3T Jan2013 Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Winter image
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    OB/GYN=expertise in pregnancy/labor; RE=expertise in getting pregnant. (read this on someone's post, feel free to PM me to give you credit) I'm so glad I have a RE on my team. Consult a RE after 1 year under 35yo; 6 months 35yo+
  • Options
    Oh this is so fun!! Great post Mademoiselle D!! 
    I'm still working on the song for my Papa Bear and I to dance to.  I like "Landslide" by the Dixie Chicks 
    the original version is by Fleetwood Mac.  I also like what deelopi9 posted about Rod Stewart's "Have I told you Lately" that is such a great song.

As for FI and I, we are dancing to "Then" by Brad Paisley

FI and his Mom are dancing to a song his brother and Mom danced to at his wedding, so it's a little tradition for them..."A Song for Mama" by Boyz2Men
    it's really sappy but hey, it's their choice...Wink

image Le Creuset 5qt Oval French Oven in Caribbean Blue Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hose85 - Not silly at all! I love the reason why you are going to transition to that song. I'm sure it will bring all those memories back during your first dance.

Deelopi: Great songs! :)

KatieBee: "Then" is a great song and it's very fitting for you and your FH :D Love landside! You can't go wrong with that Boyz to Men song...one of my faves!
  • Options
    My Dad and I have a special bond over Roy Orbinson songs. And I was listening to the radio one afternoon and "Anything You Want" came on by Roy. I knew it was the song my Dad and I would dance to. And we did.
    As far as the mother/son dance, H waited until 3 days prior to figure it out. He looked through soooo many typical songs and narrowed it down to "I Owe You" by Jimmy Dean and "Then They Do" by Trace Adkins. He went with "Then They Do" after hearing some of the stories he family told about him and his brother growing up and how the house is empty since both boys grew up and moved out.

September 2013 Moms Siggy Challenge: The Thing I Miss Most Since Being Pregnant
    Replacing the water cooler! And other heavy lifting

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Batman was supposed to be a symbol of hope and bring justice. Not spark violence.
  • Options
    MrsFranco417MrsFranco417 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    For the Mother/Son dance -- there's 2 perfect songs that come to mind ... Backstreet Boys "The Perfect Fan" and Boyz II Men "A Song For Mama" ...

Here is "The Perfect Fan" ... I've always loved this song, and despite the fact that my fiance's mother is not welcome at the wedding, I plan on doing something different and using this song... http://youtu.be/PCo9v5sCaRQ

For Father/Daughter ... Im torn between 2 songs now ... "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle or "Tiny Dancer" by Elton John ... my dad used to sing Tiny Dancer to me ... and Butterfly Kisses is just emotional and makes me cry every time i hear it ...

First Dance ... I dont care what the fiance says -- it is going to be "Yes I Will" by Backstreet Boys ... no ifs ands or buts about it. (and yes, I am  a HUGE Backstreet Boys fan lol)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards