Florida-South Florida

Dilemma with the Mother

Hi girls!

I posted on here about this a few weeks ago and a few of you were so kind to chime in.
But the dilemma isn't over and I'm torn.

We're getting married in 2014, and because we're Greek and are going to have a party that will last until the wee hours of the morning, we can't really find a place that won't kick us out at midnight or charge outrageously for extra hours - we want the peace of mind to leave when we want to. So we've decided to have our reception in a Greek church's large "banquet" hall. It is looking like they are doing a remodel and it will look very much like a hotel ballroom, so I'm really excited about it!

Now both FI and I go to DIFFERENT Greek churches, different from even the one where the reception will be. My parents (more so my stubborn mom) are guilt-tripping me into doing it at MY church, on the sentiment that it's been our church for 25 years. My FI has ruled out HIS church, as he doesn't care for the priest there and there's been drama that has soured him to the entire church. So FI & I spoke and spoke and laid everything out and just feel it makes more sense to keep everything in one place and have our ceremony at the same place our reception will be. 

Taking sentiments and emotions out of it, this is why it makes more sense:

• A) We have a LOT of OOT guests who will most likely come...like upwards of 60 (and our guest list is around 250). 
  • B) The hotels near the church have shuttles that bring guests to and from the church/reception hall. 
  • C) Guests won't have to dilly-dally after the ceremony (Greeks are NOTORIOUS for dilly-dallying), then drive 20 minutes, and pick up McDonald's on the way because their hungry - whatever. They walk out of the church, over the to hall, have some appetizers, cocktails, and use the photobooth (which will likely only be there for a few hours and it won't be used much during dinner). 
Really, I feel it just makes more sense. This church will be the church we will attend after we're married, the priest has been very caring and concerned, checking in with us every other week just to see how we're doing and how life is. We feel it's a perfect compromise for not doing it at our churches, and it's in Fort Lauderdale - which is the halfway point to where my church is and where his church is.

Well, I broke the news to my mom today and she went off in a tizzy. How this is the ONE thing she asks from us, how could we place the comfort of our GUESTS over her/their wishes, that I really don't care what they want, how could I be so nonchalant about not doing it at the church I've grown up in - I mean reallyyyy laying it on thick. 

She is a master at guilt trips and I really won't let her win on this one, because I feel that when taking the emotion out of it, it makes more sense overall, logistically. I'm trying to reiterate to her that we shouldn't be attached to a building, but to the people in it - in terms of the church. And the people we're attached to will go anywhere. So why should it matter WHICH church, so long as it is at a Greek church, and at the end of the day we'll be married. 

How can I soothe her, smooth this out, and get her on board?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dilemma with the Mother

• If i were in your shoes, i would tell her just like you told us. unless shes paying for it, really, she doesnt have a say. and like you said, it shouldnt be about what building it is at so long as you and your FI are happy and getting married.
  • Oooo, tough one! I had a very similar problem with my mom because the one thing she asked of me was to get married in a Catholic church. To make the long story church, we couldn't because FI had to all his sacraments and I didn't think it was fair to me him. FI suggested to look into a Methodist church (the one we will get married in) because a former boss of his is a reverend there. When I met with him, I truly loved how he spoke and he made me feel. So, to convince my mom, the coordinator of the church suggested to bring my mom to an actual wedding ceremony and we did. My mom absolutely loved the ceremony and gave us her blessing.

Maybe you should take her to an wedding ceremony or at least to a service for her to get a feeling of the church. I hope it works out for you!

• eaelrodeaelrod member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    She knows the church well, but she still won't budge. I feel really strongly about sticking to what FI & I decided, but I'm getting serious guilt trips. I love her to pieces, but she is stubborn, doesn't let things go, & likes to have control over things. Ugh, so difficult! I really wish she could just say "You know, I'm not thrilled, but at the end of the day it's a church & you'll be married".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The guuest part should not be your main point on why you want to get married at the church.  You should tell her that it is the church that you and FI are going to attend after getting married so it seems perfect for you to get married there.  I think that is a good sticking point too.  Don't be afraid to stand up for what you and FI want.  In the end, it is your wedding and not hers.  Ask her to put herself in your shoes. 
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • tell your mother this -

"I know its not in the church you want, but this is where it is. If your loyalty to the building you pray is is more of a priority than your loyalty to your daughter, then I see where your priorities are, and I'll be quite sad that you won't be there to see me get married."

That may open her eyes...
  • Question. Can you bring in your Priest to the new venue? Maybe being married by your spiritual leader of 25+ yrs will calm her? At the end of the day, she's your Mother, I know it may not seem like it but she's prob very excited about your wedding and felt that it would be best if you were married by someone they trusted as a spiritual leader. If he can't officiate, oh well. Tell her you want her blessing because you wouldn't feel right getting married without it. That ultimately this is easier and you're so happy to have found an amazing man who adores you and shares your faith and that the place where you are married is much less important than the actual act of matrimony. Then maybe include a little tradition you've seen at weddings at your home church or give her a rose or something during the ceremony to make her feel special.
    SoFla December Siggy: Our favorite Holiday pic=Christmas 2011, 3 days after we got engaged 7E8C9975-2584-46D6-9348-98F987844629-655-00000022C95C02AF magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
    Free Disney Tickers https://apps.facebook.com/Disney-Weddings/sites/theprincessandthegator
  • I agree with Cathy. I think if you emphasize the point that this is where you will be attending, you can tell her how important it is to you to initiate your new life in the church and the community where you will raise your family. I think the guest angle won't work. I have experience with my own stubborn mother; and I think at the end of the day, you need to show her that this isn't up for discussion. You love her, and you value her opinion and her feelings but this isn't up for debate. It's where you want to start your life with your husband, and that's that. I think in the end she'll respect you for sticking to your guns because she would've done the same (being that she's stubborn). Good luck!
    SoFla July Siggy - Our 1st Picture Together <3<br> Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards