Ohio-Cleveland

Bridesmaids Dresses

I found a bridesmaid dress that I love, but it costs $230.00.  It doesn't seem expensive to me, but my fiance said that's a lot to ask my girls to pay.

What do you think the average price for a bridesmaid dress is?

What did you have your girl's pay?

I would ask them to get special shoes or jewelry, just the dress so there wouldn't be other addres prices unless they want to do their hair and makeup at the salon. 

Re: Bridesmaids Dresses

• jaclyn&davejaclyn&dave member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

For me, $230 is alot for a dress. My bridal party and I are going next week to look at dresses and I asked them their budgets. We are trying to keep it under $150. They will provide their own black shoes. I will buy them jewlery or just have them wear what they are comfortable.

Can you ask them what their budget is? Also, just to clarify, are you asking them to get shoes and accessories as well or are you taking care of that. I can't tell by your last paragraph.

Wedding Countdown Ticker 174 Invitedimage 93 Ready to get partyimage 10 are missing outimage 71 taking their timeimage RSVP Date Sept. 24
  • saraparasarapara member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think 230 is a lot.  I agree with PP with keeping a budget under $150.  but that being said, I don't know your BM's financial situations, so you may just ask each one what they feel comfortable paying.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the others. Our dresses cost around $130-140 for the girls (I chose the skirt; they chose the top -- we did separates and some tops cost a little more). I had them supply their own shoes (whether shoes they already owned or went out and bought new ones -- I didn't care). I bought their jewelry to wear the day-of. As for hair, they could either get theirs done at the salon or do it themselves (one gal did her own).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

I would have to agree that $230 is a lot, but I would also agree sarapara that I dont know what your BM financial situation is.

The dress I picked out for my BMs is $130. they're paying for their shoes and hair, and I'm paying for their jewelry.

• UDangel529UDangel529 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I have to agree with everyone else, $230 is WAY to much for a bridesmaids dress, and you definitely need to ask your ladies what their budgets are before you start falling for a certain bridesmaid dress.  I have 3 teachers, a social worker, and my 14yr old SIL as my bridesmaids none of them make a lot of $ so my budget was under $150, with the discount of 15% from Dora's Bridal we got a Jasmie B2 for $127.50 plus tax.  I think you need to forget about that dress & talk wth your girls.

• edited December 2011
    Will the dresses needed to be altered? That can be pricey too.  All the weddings I have been in have been about 120-150 for the dress plus alterations
  • starlite21lstarlite21l member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP.  If you plan on having the BM pay for their dresses you need to ask them what THEIR budget is for a dress.  Then look for a dress in their price range.  Remember there will be costs for alterations, tax, shipping etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • HarvestKarmaHarvestKarma member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $230 seems expensive to me but talk to your girls and see what they think.

I would say $150-$200 is about right to spend on a BM dress.  Of course you have to account for alterations if they're needed on top of that.

If you're really set on that dress and your BMs can't afford it you could always offer to pay for a portion of the dress if that's in your budget.
    image "As she has planted, so does she harvest; such is the field of karma." Sri Guru Granth Sahib
  • edited December 2011
    Is this the price at a bridal store? I would check out netbride online cause I found the dress I liked for about $50 cheaper (including shipping) for my girls this way. If not through them maybe another place has a better price. Anything over $200 seems like a lot to me. Good luck!
  • BKJD0713BKJD0713 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

For my friend's wedding, my bridesmaid dress was $180.  I was a college student at the time and that seemed pretty expensive to me.  The dresses were Alfred Angelo Separates, they were beautiful and high quality and worth the money.  We provided our own shoes, and paid for our hair.  The bride bought us matching jewelry.  I think it depends mostly on what your maids can afford and what your dream wedding consists of.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards