Gothic Weddings

NWR: Venting (long)

We put in an offer for the house we want to get, it's adorable. It does need some work though but not big stuff; it needs some cosmetic work on the inside, we need to replace the claw foot tub with something modern and we need to get the backyard fenced in so our dog can run around and get some exercise without wandering into the neighbors yard (he's too big to go on a leash, he would definitely drag me). 

We sent them an offer for the listed price (recommended by the real estate agent we're working with, who happens to be a family friend) the only thing that they would have to pay for is up to $2000 in closing fees. The house has been on the market for a year, and the people who are selling it are selling it for their mother, so you would think that they would just want to get rid of it. I can't think of any reason why they would turn the offer down, but I'm still so insanely nervous! We'll know by tomorrow for sure, but I can't stop thinking about it. We have plans for a lot of renovations to make it ours, and if they turn us down we'll be really upset and have to find another house that we like, and I don't think we'll find something else that's so perfect for us in our price range. I feel like I don't have a reason to worry, but then again I feel like I have to worry. Oh I just hope they get a hold of us today and let us know!

Re: NWR: Venting (long)

• Congrats on finding a house! :) I hope you get it, that's really exciting. I can understand you being nervous, I always get nervous, always expecting the worst. Let us know if you get it!!
    Photobucket

We make the sun shine... Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ohhhhh the butterflies! I really hope you get it too! My FH and I were looking at the house two houses down from where we're living, but unfortunately we don't make enough to cover the payments. I feel kinda guilty because i'm staying at home with Wilow and not working, but when we estimated the cost of childcare we would actually be losing money!!!  I wish you the best of luck!
    Visit Gothic.weddings.com
  • I know how you feel Willow, I'm not doing anything at all this summer and during the school year I only make $300/month. I always feel guilty that FI has to work so often, and I feel like I'm not doing anything to help us out. He won't have to work nearly as much whenever I get through the rest of my college and get a teaching job though. 

The sellers were presented the offer this morning, but they didn't make a decision. Now I'm even more nervous =( It took them 6 months to agree to replace their faulty furnace before closing, so who knows what they're thinking. I didn't think this would be so stressful! FI keeps texting me from work and I can tell he's just as nervous as I am. I wish they would let us know sooner than tomorrow!
  • Update: They just counter-offered for more than what the listing price was! (Which according to our agent their office hasn't seen in over 5 years, just our luck) I am beyond pissed off right now. We were giving them what they wanted, all they had to do was pay closing costs. The house has been on the market for over a year and they're just being jerks. The horrible thing is, in the end if we buy the house they'll also be our neighbors! We're running around like crazy trying to scrape up enough money to get the house because we really love it. Why do people have to be difficult?

• Look around for another option! If you set the president that you're willing to go above the seller's asking price, they'll just keep bumping it up. You're also indicating desperation, bad for negotiations. Find another house for less that you can renovate into your dream home. I know, easier said than done, but remember its a buyer's market out there.
    AphroditeJules Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We really want this house though, it's in a great neighborhood (almost impossible in our price range), even with the price bump it's still only $80,000 and we can't go much higher than that, plus it's in move-in condition and 3 has bedrooms. We're leaning towards accepting the, offer against the advice of the Agents on both the selling and buying sides. We were considering counter-offering, but the sellers are very old and probably won't budge. Plus, with our apartment we need to be out by November or we can't move out until March, since they have ridiculous policies. So we don't have a lot of time to go back and forth like this.
  • I have this feeling something beter WILL come along. Do you really want to have them as neighbors? They seem like...well...a-holes!
  • We ended up accepting their counter offer. Now we just have to wait for the banks to work their magic so we can get the loan finalized. As much as we hated that they countered more than the asking price we really want that house, it's perfect for us and we haven't found anything like that in our price range anywhere else. This way we don't have to go back and forth with counter offers for who knows how long, and we don't have to start from scratch to find a new house that we like. I guess the sellers are very old and they don't understand how selling a house works, so I don't think we're going to get a better deal anyway.

So if everything else works out, we should be closing on September 10! It's kind of exciting, but we've visited a home improvement store a few times to figure out what we need and how much our projects will cost, that's pretty frightening haha. Although if we do things little by little it won't be too bad.
  • Well, I'm glad you're getting what you really want. You will be able to personalize the house so that it works for your needs and taste. You'll have to post pictures when you get into your new home!
  • Congrats! I hope everything goes the way you had planned it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards