Gothic Weddings

N00b to these boards but I have a dress dilemma..

I bought this really cute dress from the thrift store for 40 $ after hearing davids or another local was donating. I am tall, and have a long torso. I get the dress on, and the top part is beaded (looks like a corset but is not) it cuts me at the widest part of my waist (more like mid ribs a few inches under bust) and its totally unflattering. ( i look like im hiding a baby bump )  I want to keep it, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to alter it so it would be a litte more flattering...  I dont know if its even possible to take the bulk out of it the lower part( remove it from where the top beading part meets the "skirt" portion)... 

the bottom has a ton of beading and idk if cutting the bulk out of the top will mean you have to cut the bottom too? 

was thinking maybe could use the extra fabric to make a shrug since the wedding is in nov... but I really dont want to shell out the $ for a science experiment. 

I plan on loosing weight before the wedding so, i'll need SOME altering in the bust likely, but i dont know what to do about the rest, any help is greatly appreciated... 
Owl Love You Forever. Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit Chicago.Weddings.com

Chicago Weddings

Re: N00b to these boards but I have a dress dilemma..

• I would say that taking it to a seamtress is your best option, or maybe even two. They would be able to tell what can be done to make the gown more flattering and fit your vision better.
    Visit Gothic.weddings.com
  • You have a long time before your wedding, are you in love with the dress? I would make sure it's really what you want before talking to a seamstress. If it is what you want, and will be your perfect dress after those alterations then you definitely want to get quotes from a few seamstresses and see if they can turn it into your vision. It might be cheaper to actually buy a new dress that fits you better, but you should see what the quotes add up to.
  • Not totally married to the idea of the dress, just that its a good price + alterations figured somewhere in the 200 $ range.. ( as my budget only allows for about 500$ for a dress and alterations) I'd like to come out under budget but I also don't want to feel & look like i hate the dress/day/ how i look. So, that being said, I have a few alternatives from unique-vintage [dot com] ive been considering.. most run from 100-200$ and if the hips aren't fitted I usually can wear an off the rack size that should require no alterations. 
    Someone on another board suggested using crinoline under to give it more of a ball gown shape ( the dress already weighs a ton, so i don't know how excited I am about that idea.) 
    I Might just list it here and on ebay and see what I can get, it retailed for roughly 1,000$  Might be worth it if it means getting a dress I truly adore without all the chaos of hacking the dress into pieces, fitting, and altering what I have. 

thanks ladies.Laughing
    Owl Love You Forever. Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit Chicago.Weddings.com

Chicago Weddings

• If you're considering buying online, try going to a few dress shops to try on dresses in the styles that you're considering to see if it's what you really want and what will look good on you. You definitely want a dress that makes you happy, you'll be looking back at your wedding photos for the rest of your life. 

You might even find a sample at a dress store that you like, that should be well under your $500 budget. I think you'll definitely be able to find a dress that you love in your budget. Trying to sell your other dress might be a good way to help get your dream dress! Good luck! 
  • ki10ki10 member
    First Comment
    It has a really beautiful train and it looks like it fits comfortably if not flatteringly. I would talk to a seamstress and get a quote. If it's going to be more expensive than getting what you'd otherwise want, skip it, but someone should be able to make it work, and probably pretty reasonably.
  • Look, look, look! You never know what you can find. I had a vision in my mind that I thought I would never find, at least not cheaply. Then low and behold after looking at just about every goth site I could think of I found my dream dress for like 150.00! It shipped from California and I still got it for under 200.00 with shipping and converting it from American to Canadian funds. If you have the time I would scower the internet/thrift stores/bridal shops to find something you love in budget that might only need a few alterations for fitting purposes.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards