Gothic Weddings
Options

Victorian theme for the wedding..what about the guests?

I'm entertaining the idea of some sort of victorian theme, but maybe not super steam punk. My mom and my side of the family are not exactly thrilled by the idea of dressing up for a theme. My future hubby's side, on the other hand, is full of nerds so they're loving the idea of dressing up in full costume hahaha.

But what I'm trying to figure out is if it would be okay to have just the wedding party reflect some victorian influences, and the guests (including parents) just wear normal wedding gettup? I feel like it may seem more theatrical this way, which I am okay with, but I don't want it to turn out looking lame or anything!!

Any advice, pictures, links, etc, would be super helpful.

Re: Victorian theme for the wedding..what about the guests?

• Options
    I think giving the guests an option would be a good idea! While I would certainly jump at an excuse to get my steampunk on, not everone will :) If the inconsistency doesn't bother you too much, you could say that costumes are optional and those who want to dress up will. The only danger I see is that if this turns into your fiance's family dressing up and your family not dressing up, your family may feel left out of the wedding. You just might have to assure them that that's not what's going on :)

Other than that, sounds awesome!!
    PersonalMilestone Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I attended a small beautiful steampunk wedding last month. Most of the guests went victorian inspired while the bridal party steampunked it out.    Not everyone was dressed in steampunk attire.  Those who did not steampunk their attire attended in formal dress.  Everyone looked great.  Most of the ladies had great fun with hats while most of the gentlemen had great fun with facial hair (mutton chops, versus goatees versus full beards versus handlebar mustaches).  It was a beautiful wedding. 
  • Options
    I'm having a Victorianesque wedding as well, but I'm not telling our guests. The wedding is a marriage ceremony, not a costume party. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards