California-Los Angeles

State Beaches as Venues

My surfer-fiance and I are recently engaged and are thinking about the beach for a venue.  We like to go to Leo Carrillo and I've read that they do weddings there, but I haven't seen any reviews from real people. Has anyone checked it out or been to a wedding at a State Beach, especially Leo Carrillo?

As a side note: has anyone found any resources dealing with a beach wedding.  I imagine there is some info I'll need on wind-proof hair and sand-proof shoes. 

Thanks!

Shannon

Re: State Beaches as Venues

• edited December 2011
    Hi Shannon, I live at Silverstrand Beach in Oxnard which is a State Beach. In order to get a permit I have to go to the Harbormasters office here. I think if you check the California State Parks website you will find info on permits. The local community services office here told me if I was having an informal ceremony and I didn't want to close off the area that I probably wouldn't even need to get a permit. But if I were you I would check it out. Silverstrand is a smaller area and not as popular as Leo Carrillo.
    As far as hair-I'm hoping for a sunny calm day! No fog or wind and my hair will be ok-haha. I think shoes aren't very practical on the sand so I am going barefoot. Have you checked Etsy.com? They have some really pretty barefoot jewels that wrap around your foot for a beach wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    State beaches, actually on the sand, are tough.  You have to get a permit for your space as well as your vendors, and many vendors charge more for sandy venues.  We looked and looked and found the Malibu West Beach Club - it's right on the beach, but a clubhouse, and we can go down on the sand for our photos.  All my planning has to be done in 6 months, so down on the sand was too much for me, but if you want it can be done!  

Good Luck!
  • jwdeldottojwdeldotto member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We inquired about having a beach ceremony as well.  Just so you know, if you plan to have your ceremony at the Santa Monica beach (on the sand), no permit is needed as long as it is under 150 ppl.

It's first come first serve....i got this info several months ago.  If you wanna confirm w/ the city, here's their website
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards