California-Los Angeles
Options

How in the world am I going to afford a wedding?

Hi,
My name is Trista and I'm new here. I need help, mostly mental since my wedding is far away and I'm already stressing over the costs involved with a wedding. I've got the photographer covered, since I am one worse comes to worse I'm going to either throw cameras at people or set up a tripod and set the timer. It's everything else, I mean I can't even seem to find a location, my head is spinning. If any of you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for letting me vent. :)
Thanks in advance, Trista

Re: How in the world am I going to afford a wedding?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    how many people are you thinking of inviting and what's your budget?
  • Options
    mrslakermrslaker member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just start slow and think small and minimal.

If cost is defintely a concern, you can start thinking about number in mind of those invited to your wedding. Keep in mind each additional person = more money. There are venues out there that are budget friendly.

You can look into parks and community centers. There are some helpful tips on my blog in regards to saving money: http://jemiesaekoo.wordpress.com/2010/01/04/hyo/. There are a couple of affordable venues listed in that entry. You can look into using state parks, Dana Point has some really great areas that all you have to do is pull permits for. The permits are really quite affordable!

You have probably inquired already with larger venues, the cost can add up quickly and it can become very overwhelming. Stay away from those if you know right off the bat that you will not be able to afford something in that range.

Also, peruse the knot. This is why all the knotties are here -- to offer support and to have a place to commeserate and share advice. Come frequently and post often. We are all here to help and support each other.

• Options
    Trista <3Trista <3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!
    I'm trying to keep the wedding under $10k.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Trista!

Ok. Breathe. Count to 10. 

Planning is supposed to be the fun part -- it's your day and you can do whatever you want! 

The way I got through anxiety (and maybe this is silly) is by thinking -- if I wanted to have a really really cool birthday party what would I like to do? Would I have a garden tea party? A chic restaurant dinner? A picnic on the beach? This way you can figure out what kind of a wedding you'd feel most happy and relaxed in. 

About the cost. 
    Very smart of you to think of a budget. I am doing mine for under 10k too. And I am inviting close to 200 people!
    We are very lucky to be in LA -- we have: the Flower Mart with cheap flowers, the Fabric District so you can get in-expensive linens, the Fashion District where you can get cheap accessories like petticoat, tiara, veil, etc. We also have a great number of parks, museums, beaches and other affordable locations.

So. I would a) figure out your guest list -- the smaller the more budget-friendly b) start looking at venues on www.herecomestheguide.com and c) try to have fun!!!!

Hope this helps,
    beta
  • Options
    Choco82282Choco82282 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Trista,
    I understand how you're feeling!!  My fiancee and my budget is $10k as well.  We're using FantaSea Yachts out of Marina del Rey.  We purchased a wedding package for under $10k for 40 guests and the best part is it includes catering, open bar, flower allotment, and cake!  They're very nice - you should def check them out!

• Options
    Trista <3Trista <3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Beta and Choco,
    I'm so glad that I'm in LA, I already decided that I'm going to go to the flower mart and do my own flowers. I found an awesome location and people were posting that it was affordable, I guess people have different ideas of affordable. It's out of my price range, now I'm a sad panda and still looking for a site. Trying to breath, but I'm starting to get kinda depressed that I can't even find a site that I can afford that doesn't suck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just try to take it one step at a time. 

Some bridal shops offer layaway which might help you to afford the dress that you want.  My Cousin bought her dress - which she adored at www.colettejeanbridal.com  And, he used layaway.  It was great. 

She is using laway for several items - and it is really helping her out!
  • Options
    KIKI_82KIKI_82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was looking at venues I found the Crystal Marquis in downtown Whittier. They arer reasonably priced and have no service charge! They only venue I found without it! Most venues charge a 15-20% sc and it adds on a couple of thousand to the bill. Mine is 20%! I think they also allow you to pring your own wine, but you may want to look in to that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards