California-Los Angeles

Name Change

I know this has been asked a million times, but I never paid much attention and I can't seem to do a search of the board.

I remember people on this board talking about some sort of checklist or file that they could send, to make this process easier. Does anyone have this, that they would be willing to email to me? My address is my knottie name at gmail.com

Also, I read on the DMV website that they will check your info with SS office, and all you need to bring is your ID and marriage cert. I asked a friend at work who just changed her name, and she said they told her they couldn't look anything up and that she had to wait until she had her SS in hand before coming to the DMV. What have your experiences been? If they can verify the info with SS, how long does it take after you change with SS for that to be updated online?

I want to get it all sorted out as soon as possible! Thanks!

Re: Name Change

• edited December 2011
    Correct.  Get your SS card first, then take it to the DMV.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    So they don't verify with SS, then?

The DMV website  says that you just need to have applied for your SS card first so they can verify info with them, and then bring with you your marriage certificate and old DL, but it does not mention needing to bring your new SS card.

I feel like I have seen people on here saying that they did both in the same day, or that the wait was 24-48 hours for SS to be updated...so I'm just confused about which way it is!
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe.  They do give you a form at the SS office for until your card arrives in the mail.  I guess I just wasn't interested in taking my chances and made an appointment to go in so I didn't wait forever and a day (the wait was still bad, but not as bad as the other mobs of people there).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    the "service" isn't worth it.  You get all the forms in advance which is nice, but you still have to GO to the SS office and GO to the DMV and those forms are available online for free.

Bank was easy.  Walked in, showed them the marriage certificate and it was done.  Credit cards even easier.  The most complicated so far has been health insurance and frequent flier miles.
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to have the checklist but my computer's dead.  I will say to remember to switch you name on your car registration and title when you do your DL.  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the tips!
  • chiweeweechiweewee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    crnota - I have it. I'll email it to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards