California-Los Angeles
Options

::Girl Talk::

The time is approaching quickly as you can see on the ticker...eeek!

So Over a year ago I got off the pill to make my life a bit easier to loose weight for the BIG day...

Since children are NOT in our plans right now or for very looong time I need to get back on it and to be honest I'm dreading it.Frown 

PRO's of being off...

-I've been loving the fact I got rid of the acne  my face took a total chance...I couldn't believe it!

CON's of being off...

-HORRIBLE PERIODS...I was NEVER a cramper, bloated, heavy as hell and the worse I'm sooooo irregular it's hard to say when I'll get it.  I'm all over the calendar!!!Undecided

So I just can't find it in me to pick up the phone and get in there and say yes give me BP! 

I use to be on Ortho-Tri Cyclen (low dose) I was on it for a few yrs because of my weight and the doctors discovered my blood pressure was going sky high with the regular dose.

At the end, I was feeling down...depressed! They had given me another BP but I never tried it I decided on my own to get off of it.

So now, I'm wondering if maybe I should try the shot, the patch is out because of my weight Frown...

My options get smaller and smaller because of the blood pressure issue.

I'm hoping to get on a regimen in July (2 months before the wedding)

Any advice ladies?

Re: ::Girl Talk::

• Options
    geal3456geal3456 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was never on the shot, but my doctor suggested not to because she told me the shot definitely makes you gain weight. I don't know because I didn't try it, but that was enough for me not to. She wanted me to try the ring, nuvia ring i think that's what it is called. I opted to skip all that and just get my tubes tied. HTP
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am on the NuvaRing.  I am very susceptible to side effects from BC but the ring doesn't seem to bother me.  On the pill (I've tried several) I would get migraines, depression, and weight gain.  I had the Depo shot when I was in high school but I gained 15 pounds in one month and had my period for 4 months straight (<--- great way to make sure I didn't get pregnant!).  Ask your GYN about the ring and see if they recommend it for you.  I love it.  Especially since I don't have to worry about taking something every day.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Mellie35Mellie35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In college, I tried so many different pills and had a lot of problems. I went off of them for years. Five years ago, when I met my husband, I was willing to try again. I found Yasmin and I have not experienced one single problem. It has been great. 

I am sorry for what you have gone through, It can be frustrating. But, I would talk to your doctor and be willing to experiment a bit. Everyone has different reactions. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I been on necon formally bevacon for about 2 years now and I like it. I did gain weight but I would much rather gain some weight then have a child at this point in my life . I was very limited to what I could take because I have been diabetic (insulin dependent) for about 8 years and I also have a hyperactive thyroid(causes high blood pressure sometimes). My period have gotten a lot better. Before the pill I would rarely get one because of my conditions and now I get one monthly and pretty much at a scheduled time.No acne aside from the stress break out here and there us ladies can get. I would suggest talking to your doctor and see what he says and maybe see if their on any new ones you can try! HTH and GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would probably try a non-hormonal method if you have blood pressure issues. Maybe an IUD? The copper one is completely non-hormonal.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm on Lybrel (don't get an period, whoo hoo!) but if I miss a pill by even something as small as an hour, I'l get cramps and get bloated.  Other than that, it's been great.

Also, I saw this thread and totally thought you were talking about Girl Talk the musical artist.
  • Options
    spiderwebsspiderwebs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was on the nuva-ring for 2 years, but I had some chronic side effects that i didnt realize was from my bc. When  finally realized what it was, I switched to the patch (ortho-evra).

While not  as convenient as the once a month nuva ring, I only experienced some side effects the first few days on the patch (nausea, headaches, fatigue), been on it for about 3 years, and loving it.

But the patch, like a bandaid can leave tell-tale marks. So during spring/summer, patch placement is key.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-los-angeles_girl-talk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:68Discussion:e351f949-ad43-44d7-8152-e4d1d0a943f8Post:4d00f50c-aa82-409d-bf50-f4bcf242c3e4">Re: ::Girl Talk::</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would probably try a non-hormonal method if you have blood pressure issues. Maybe an IUD? The copper one is completely non-hormonal.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

<font color="#0000ff"><strong>I was told that you can only have the IUD if you have had a child before because their is a high risk of becoming infertile. Would you know anything about this?</strong></font>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've had issues with every BC I've tried (I've been on something for at least the last ten years) except the Nuva Ring.  It's easy and you dont have to worry about it everyday like you do with a pill.  My cramping and heavy flow have become non existant and the PMS mood swings have deminished greatly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-los-angeles_girl-talk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:68Discussion:e351f949-ad43-44d7-8152-e4d1d0a943f8Post:650e0721-8c9f-4996-8e3a-a6b1c8f62b8e">Re: ::Girl Talk::</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ::Girl Talk:: : I was told that you can only have the IUD if you have had a child before because their is a high risk of becoming infertile. Would you know anything about this?
    Posted by stmoreno[/QUOTE]

There's not necessarily a risk of infertility, but there might be a *slightly* higher risk of perforating the uterus. Which is a small risk whether or not you have a child, but if you've given birth, some gynos find it easier to insert them. But many gynos will insert them into childless women as well.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-los-angeles_girl-talk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:68Discussion:e351f949-ad43-44d7-8152-e4d1d0a943f8Post:283f63c3-2bed-4c29-9fd0-4e65d1984ebc">Re: ::Girl Talk::</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ::Girl Talk:: : There's not necessarily a risk of infertility, but there might be a *slightly* higher risk of perforating the uterus. Which is a small risk whether or not you have a child, but if you've given birth, some gynos find it easier to insert them. But many gynos will insert them into childless women as well.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I am going to look into it! I would much rather do the IUD seeing as I am only 22 and FI and I don't plan to have children for a while.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

WOW I didn't realize there were so many options out there.  I guess I was lucky when I got on the pill I didn't have any problems - I was on them for like 10 years and then in 04 my blood pressure was up and my doctor told me to come off and see if my blood pressure regulated itself.  It did and I was off of all BC for 3 years - and was just plan lucky - and then came along my daughter Laughing
    So GL

My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    same here dawn, I've been on the same pill for at least 4 years and no problems on my end. The nuva ring options sounds like something i would like to try next time....hmmm.

Sorry xxquemirasxx i dont have any advice on this one. :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another happy Nuva Ring user over here! I was all over the place emotionally while on the pill and after 3 different brands I said screw this I'm done with BC. Then the nuva ring started becoming more popular and once I saw that no one was having severe reactions I thought I'd give it a shot. 3 years ago and I'll never go back to the Pill again. It's so easy... as horrible as it sounds it reminds me of a crock pot. Set it and forget it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards