Latino Weddings
Options

What did you compromise on?

The knot is blocked in my job (probably from me going on it all the time...lol) so when I get home I look forward to reading, I figure I would do a small survey.FI and I just bought a place, also because of the recession prices of just everyday things have gone up and paying for a wedding (we're paying everything) doesn't help the situation.  I'll say it's down right hard!  It feels like we compromised on so many things but in talking with other brides it seems compromise is the name of the game.  Whether they paid themselves or had their parents pay.Soooo....What did you have to compromise on?  Had budget not been an issue what is the one thing you would've gotten/done/bought?

Re: What did you compromise on?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Compromising is definitely a must! We compromised on a lot of things...I wanted a florist, he didn't see why we needed one...so we're doing a lot of DIY flowers. We are now trying to compromise on the limo, I want a big flashy SUV one and he doesn't think that we need one. We are paying for most of our wedding ourselves...we do have a few padrinos...but because of the recession...we didn't get a lot of "outside" help. If budget was not an issue...I would haver definitely splurged on flower arrangements for the church. I see the weddings on telenovelas and the churches look aammmmaaazziiinnngg!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Ladies, just wanted to introduce myself my name is Patty and I'm Hispanic(Chicano) and so is my FI , although we are getting married in late 2011, I'm slowly planning our wedding. You asked if we are compromising because of the recession and well we are, we have looked at several Venues on line and some are very expensive and others are resonable not only are we compromising but don't want to be in debt because of our wedding since we will be paying for it our selves. There will be things that we wont be spluring on but that's Ok as long as that day is memorable for our families and the two of us then that is what will matter. Glad to have a Latino Board,looking foward to getting great Ideas and advice from all of you.
  • Options
    nicoleabrocknicoleabrock member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have compromised on everything in one way or another.  We kinda had to because we are paying for things ourselves and are both strong willed and opinionated.  But a good example of our compromising is that he chose the design for the save the dates and I chose the design for our invites.  But there has been so many compromises along the way.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi,We are paying for most of our wedding on our own because that is my choice, but I still don't feel the need to spend $20,000+ on a wedding when I rather put that money towards a down payment for a nicer house.Here's how we compromised our budget:1.  Smaller guest list: immediate family, uncles, aunts, grandparents, first cousins we talk to, and 3 close friends....all the rest of the people we would have invited are irrelevant to us even though they may be good people2.  Beer and wine open bar instead of full open bar3.  Non-floral centerpieces4.  shorter reception: 4hours instead of 55. Sunday wedding...Sundays and Fridays are cheaper than Saturday6.  Do it yourself invites...only cost $25 at Target versus $250 to order them7.  Best man and maid of honor only...no groomsmen and bridesmaids....flowers and gifts for them add up!!!!  8.  No limo 9.  Honeymoon will be taken at a different time10.  Candy buffet instead of individual favors11.  No videographer, just a professional photographer12.  No chair covers or bows13.  No extra flowers for ceremonyStick to the basics.  Your wedding can still be beautiful if you do.  But, the biggest way to compromise on budget is the guest list.  Best wishes.If money wasn't an issue, the one thing that I would do differently is the guest list, so I don't have to hear anyone else complain that I didn't include so and so.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just bought a house too, and now we're 6 months from the wedding.  We're getting help from family but paying half or more of the total cost ourselves. When it comes to the house, we have definitely held off on buying some furniture that we'd love to have.  We just can't afford it now so we still use our old desks and a cheap bed for the guest room from craigs list. We are also trying to save on lots of wedding things.  We decided to use a venue where we can bring our own alcohol, not put flowers in the church, no limo, I bought a used dress, we are trying to figure out how to scale down the rehearsal dinner, and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.  Oh, I also found a photographer I love but I don't think we'll book her because she's pricey.  Instead we're asking a friend of a friend to take digital pictures for less than a professional would charge.Some budget cuts are hard (the photographer for me) but overall we just know we can't afford everything we want in the world so we have to prioritize.  We'll still have a great day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I have compromised a bit...We decided to spend our wedding money on a house- which is exactly what FI was scheming all along. :-/ Our wedding isn't until 2012 anyway so we'll still have time to save for a big party. We've also decided to cut the budget by a significant amount- (the average wedding in Boston is roughly $30k!!) less than $10k. Which is what I was willing to compromise on because we DO want a home.... And cutting the budget meant cutting out a lot of things I originally dreamed of reception-wise. Because that means no country club or hotel IN Boston would even be imaginable on a less than $10k budget. So we've settled for a (beautiful) restaurant.I  also cut my guest list down to under 130! It was originally at 240! ... His side was always the same... 30.And I compromised because he INSISTS on a May 8th wedding (a Tuesday in 2012). So we're officially getting married then, but having a large party... either on that following weekend (like he wants) or the following January (because I've always wanted a snowy, winter wedding). That's really our final compromise that we're still working on.:) Different and odd. I know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OH.And traditionally, weddings are supposed to last 3 days. We're breaking it down to two.And at that, brides and grooms are traditionally supposed to change up to 7-12x... and we're only changing 5x in two days!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards