Latino Weddings

What would you do....honestly

If someone very close to FI and yourself could not be at the wedding due to immigration issues, but would be able to attend in three years?????

Re: What would you do....honestly

• edited December 2011
    I voted to keep it as is, but another option is to change where you have the wedding.  My priest mentioned that he has had this happen several times--couples planned on marrying here in U.S. and then decided to get married in Mexico instead since everyone here could travel to Mexico but many people from Mexico could not travel here. 

Another option would be to have two parties, one here and one there.  

FI has one close friend who can't come to the U.S.; others may not be able to come because of money.  It's unfortunate but there are always people who can't make it to the wedding and unless it's your parents or someone like that, I think you just have to go ahead with your plans.
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only way I would move the date would be if fiance had immigration issues.
  • mercy210mercy210 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • edited December 2011
    It depends on who can't make it.  If it was immediate family I might maker other arrangements.
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • edited December 2011
    If it's a parent or someone who either of you couldn't imagine getting married without them there then changing the date would make sense. Otherwise if you're just doing it to please other people it's not worth it and keep it the date you already have!
  • edited December 2011

It seems too long of a wait. I have family coming as well, we had our date originally for May 2011 but they said they could make it in December. It was only a few more months and we were going to move the wedding anyways due to wanting extra time to save a little more. But to wait three years? If that is the case and you really want everyone to be there why not move the wedding locations? Make it a destination wedding. =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ts1212ts1212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I are going through the same thing and it looks like we may be cutting it even closer, maybe under a year, but still not by the time we're having the wedding which is coming right up.  So we decided to have the wedding anyways and plan to travel and have a 2nd (smaller) wedding so everyone can attend... plus it gives you the opportunity to wear you wedding dress twice.
  • edited December 2011
    IF you had to wait like six months for the person to come, that is on things. But three years? That is a long time and to wait for one person.

You could consider having the wedding in the country of origin, which would solve the immigrantion problems.

Or you just have to really think, you can imagine have the wedding without them? Unless it is the groom, or parents, I would say go with the date that you have. Don't change.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am going through the same thing.  We've changed the location and date thinking they could come and then immigration laws changed...we've already got deposits down.  i'm going to miss them at our wedding and it saddens me deeply.  it's your day, maybe have a bridal shower in the city where they live and send them a copy of your dvd after the big shindig.  also send them favors and pictures
  • Angi3 Z*Angi3 Z* member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly i dont think i could even wait that long. I think you´re family would understand.

by the way where can i get one of those little cute time lines you guys have???
  • ljash2ljash2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    3 years?!?!? Oh HELL NO!!! Ok, maybe 3 weeks, maybe even 3 months. But 3 years?!!? Lots can happen in 3 years. You are not guaranteed tomorrow girl. You need to do you.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_would-dohonestly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:1fb44fee-d4c2-4d71-874c-9712d142d0c7Post:e5e66fe6-8ee1-4eca-bea4-00028a49e325">Re: What would you do....honestly</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am going through the same thing.  We've changed the location and date thinking they could come and then immigration laws changed...we've already got deposits down.  i'm going to miss them at our wedding and it saddens me deeply.  it's your day, <font color="#ff00ff">maybe have a bridal shower in the city where they live and send them a copy of your dvd after the big shindig.  also send them favors and pictures
    </font>Posted by anjellyca721@yahoo.com[/QUOTE]

That is a great idea!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_would-dohonestly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:1fb44fee-d4c2-4d71-874c-9712d142d0c7Post:956f3c91-4899-4fde-a631-009ede9a8c32">Re: What would you do....honestly</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly i dont think i could even wait that long. I think you´re family would understand. by the way where can i get one of those little cute time lines you guys have???
    Posted by Angi3 Z*[/QUOTE]

If you go into the My Knot and edit your profile there is a link to add one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards