Latino Weddings
Options

Reception food?

I am full of questions this weekend. LOL

Anyway, as you all know I am white and FI is Mexican. Well, his family are wanting us to have the traditional food for the reception like they have in the town where he's from. Which is, Barbacoa, Asado, rice, salsas.

I don't want that but, I do want to have both Mexican foods and American foods.

I was thinking since it is warm in Sept and we are having an outside wedding, serving light foods like ceviche, shrimp cocktail (Mexican style) and having like some sopecitos, mini tacos, nachos and adding some American foods. Everyone is telling me that having foods like this is very "naca" What do you ladies think and any other ideas on food. What are you having?

FYI: we are having a tiffany's theme wedding but not  formal, I just want the bling and FI likes the blue.

Also, where would I get foods like I described? Caterers around my area don't know how to do real Mexican food.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Reception food?

• Options
    Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well um, I'm actually doing Spanish food for my reception but am bringing in my Mexican background with things like Mexican Sodas and Candies for my guests.
    I'm not really sure what to tell you as far as where to get the food you are looking for aside from asking a Mexican restaraunt to do it for you. Growing up going to Mexican weddings, I guess I never really thought twice about the food, it was always meat, rice and beans at pretty much every reception I ever went to. Sometimes people would do tamales or something. Usually it was someone in the family that made all the food for it so I don't really know what to tell you! Sorry, not much help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    all the foods you mentioned like nachos, are more commonly street foods. but you can dress them up to make it fancier.  like making the nacho chips colorful, and having the dishes really nicely garnished and arranged.  not looking so greasy and common.
    try contacting caterers who can maybe try to make a few simple mexican recepies dressed up and try them before you choose one.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are renting out the back of our favorite Mexican restaurant for our reception.  It is really pretty and we feel like we are with family any time we go in there, so it will be that much more perfect when our family is there.  We are having Mexican food.  I am not really worried about having American food.  I am white, but my entire family likes Mexican food.  I love the idea of ceviche and shrimp cocktail.  We have actually talked about serving a small shrimp cocktail prior to bringing out the meal.  My advice to you would be, plan on having food that you want.  And your guests enjoy the food as long as it is good food.  But, it sounds like you don't want Mexican food. It might be easier to just go with something different, than to try to serve two different menus at the same dinner.  But, I think what is important is that you and your fiance are happy and don't get caught up in the stress of it all!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yes the food is always like a meat rice and beans i think every one would like it  and the civche is a great idea everybody loves it maybe you could do like chips and salsa that his mom could make for you that would be really good and yummy! i know i'd love it!!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards