Latino Weddings
Options

Spanish Grammar Help!

Hi Ladies!

I'm ordering my STD's and I had a quick question about proper spanish grammar-- If a word/name ends in a vowel (my name ends in a "y") and you are trying to say  "name y name" would the "Y" be changed to an "e" since it's double "Y"?

Thanks!!!!
Kimberly
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Spanish Grammar Help!

• Options
    ckastner1ckastner1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that you would only change the y (and) if the second name begins with a Y. 
  • Options
    aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_spanish-grammar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:680Discussion:51a02ef7-37dd-440e-ba62-5c98ca3fb442Post:b4bd15f9-c6d7-46ad-922f-f9fd22079f6c">Re: Spanish Grammar Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that you would only change the y (and) if the second name begins with a Y. 
    Posted by ckastner1[/QUOTE]
     <div>This</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kimberly y Jose
    Kimberly e Yesenia

It's the second name that matters.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, you change the "y" to "e" if the second name starts with "i"

Since "y" is pronounced "ee", it sounds odd if the second name starts with "i". If the second name starts with "y", it will sound like "j" (you would say "jesenia"), so you don't need to change the "y" to "e".

Hope that made sense :-P
  • Options
    ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_spanish-grammar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:51a02ef7-37dd-440e-ba62-5c98ca3fb442Post:8e1ff332-aace-404a-a867-4ea946350b31">Re: Spanish Grammar Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, you change the "y" to "e" if the second name starts with "i" Since "y" is pronounced "ee", it sounds odd if the second name starts with "i". If the second name starts with "y", it will sound like "j" (you would say "jesenia"), so you don't need to change the "y" to "e". Hope that made sense :-P
    Posted by patrigonzal[/QUOTE]

This is correct! I got distracted by all the y talk. Just wanted to add that you'd also change to an e before a name starting with h if the second letter is an i. This is because the h would be silent so the prevailing sound would be the i.
  • Options
    MariodoMujerMariodoMujer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You change it before a word starting with "i", "hi", or "Y' but only if that Y is used as a vowel. ex. Jose y Yesenia (this Y is a consonant)
    Jose e Yvette (this Y is a vowel)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards