Latino Weddings

Just lazo and not arras?

Hello,
What is the ettiquette on doing the lazo and arras?  If you have one, do you have to do the other? 

Re: Just lazo and not arras?

• loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, they symbolize different things so you don't have to do both

We're choosing arras and not lasso
  • VickyFlorVickyFlor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Dumb question--but I am confused on which comes first?  That is, if one was doing the two? 

Would someone mind elaborating on the meaning behind the two?  Just to make sure I understand it.

• edited December 2011
    No, I don't think you need to do both.  Originally we were just going to do the lazo, but now we are including the arras as well!  But, I think it is fine to just do the lazo. 
  • edited December 2011
    The Lazo (Lasso) - (Tradition)

The tradition of the Lazo or wedding Rosary is prominent in the Hispanic culture and some Asian cultures . This wedding rosary is used to symbolize the unification of the couple through prayer. The traditional belief is if the couple prays the rosary together every night their marriage will endure.
    The wedding rosary is actually two individual and complete rosaries which meet and become one before the crucifix. It is placed by the priest over the couple after they have exchanged vows usually as they kneel to receive communion.

The Arras - (Tradition)

The giving of the Arras is also predominant in the Hispanic culture. The Arras is a small box containing thirteen either gold or silver coins. The thirteen coins represents Christ and His twelve Apostles. The groom presents the Arras to the bride after the vows have been exchanged as a symbol of his readiness to provide financial support in their married life. This also signifies good financial stewardship of the household. When the groom gives the coins to the bride she promises to use them wisely.

In these more modern times of two people often contributing financially to the household this custom still reflects the religious intent of a united couple managing finances through prayer.

from www.catholicbrides.com
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've always seen the arras 1st and lasso at end
  • edited December 2011
    fam6, thank you for sharing that explanation.  I may use that in the ceremony programs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • virgincitavirgincita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My priest said they come right after the exchange of rings, which is right before Communion. Here is what I put in my program:

El Lazo (the rope) is a figure eight shaped rope, often in the form of a double rosary, that is placed over the heads of the couple to signify their eternal union and infinite love, equally sharing the responsibility of marriage for the remainder of their lives.

Las Arras (the thirteen coins) are given to the bride by the groom as a symbol of his unquestioning trust and confidence in her. He pours them into her hands symbolizing that he is sharing with her all of his worldly goods. Acceptance by the bride signifies returned unconditional devotion, as well as prudence in the handling of his possessions. The number thirteen signifies Christ and His twelve apostles. Las arras are often presented in a small, ornate box.

Los Padrinos (godparents) are special people chosen by the bride and groom as mentors in the matters of marriage; people whom they hope to emulate in their mutual love and support of each other, as well as their faith in God. These couples are usually the ones who present las arras and/or place el lazo around the couple. In the Mexican culture it is customary to choose godparents not just for Baptisms, but for all major life milestones such as First Communion, Confirmation, Quinceñ eras, and, of course, Marriage.
  • virgincitavirgincita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ...and no I don't think you need to do both. My FI and I were not going to do the coins, but we changed our minds.
  • edited December 2011
    thanks for sharing.. Fl and I were wondering if we can jus do the Lazo as well..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards