Latino Weddings

Peruvian traditions?

My fiance is Peruvian and I'd like to incorporate some Peruvian elements into our wedding.  He's a city dweller, from Lima, if that makes adifference.  We are both Catholic and having a Mass, so that will be the same.  Tips for both ceremony and reception would be helpful.  Thanks!

Re: Peruvian traditions?

• gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Peruvian! I am not sure if this is a Peruvian tradition or maybe a Latin American tradition (I have only seen this at Peruvian weddings both here in US and in Peru)... pieces of ribbon are attached to the base of the wedding cake and one of the ribbons has an inexpensive ring attached to the other end of the ribbon. Before you cut the cake you ask single female guests to come up and they all pull the string and the lucky lady that has they ring is the next to get married.  
    Anniversary
  • preciosa4preciosa4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I have heard about that (and yes, it's Peruvian, but I'm not sure we'll have enough single ladies to do it... maybe we will...).  That's great though.  Any other ideas?
  • vcvaldiviavcvaldivia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome!!! I was actually going to write a post askng the same things, given that my family is from Lima. Besides the cake idea,  their is a tradition involving the brides girl- friends/bridesmaids trying to steal the groom's boutinnier! The groom has to protect it and give it to a lady who he thinks should get married next. ( its kinda like the idea of  tossing the bouquet). The only problem is, the bridesmaids/etc are going to try to steal it before time!).

Beyond that I don't know of any other traditions  My mother and grandparents told me that in a traditional Peruvian wedding, there are no bridesmaids and groomsmen in the wedding party, all the focus is placed on the parents, grandparents and godparents,  but I don't think that idea is going to fly her in the U.S.!

Since my grandparents and uncles/aunts are traveling from Lima to my wedding, I wanted to pay homage to them, so I am having a string quartet learn traditional  songs from LIMA ( not the andean songs) ( that are originally done in violins anyway), like Flor de La Canela, to play during the cocktail hour :) I  think they will like it. I originally wanted an andean music band to play for the ceremony, but they were waaaaaayyy too expensive.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh! I forgot one more thing, having Pisco sours and algarrobina cocktails served during cocktail hour wouldn't hurt wither :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    either
  • preciosa4preciosa4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pisco sours...yummy!

As for the attendants, I think you're ok.  My fiance and I looked online at Peruvian weddings and ALL of the ones we saw had attendants!

I think the music idea is great!  We'll have a DJ and we'll be sure to do a mix of music from the US and Latin America.  I'll try to see if we can have some bilingual aspects to the ceremony, and I'll have a Spanish laguage song for my dance with my Dad.

My fiance has been kind, really to be married here instead of in Lima and I want to make this as much HIS day too, as possible.
  • riverjibriverjib member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE the suggestions here. But you should consult your family for the traditions that mean the most to them.
  • siemprenycsiemprenyc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am of Peruvian descent and my fiance is of Italian descent.  He wouldn't go for my idea of a llama ice sculpture. LOL
    My bouquet and centerpieces have Peruvian lilies, which the florist said are relatively inexpensive (thank god).
    We are doing a travel themed wedding with tables labeled with the names of cities we've traveled together. We have a table named Lima which will have Peruvian decorative pieces.
    My visions included having a Peruvian dancer demonstrate the marinera and tondero. $200 per dance/per couple. If that falls through, which it looks like it might, then my cousins coming from Peru and I (with two left feet) will do the marinera. I am especially drawn to Sueno de Pochi. The Alcatraz would be dangerous with me or my fiance trying to light the napkin hanging from the belt on fire!
    The signature drink is pisco sour.  I thought of having anticuchos and ceviche during cocktail hour but I'm not sure the guests are that adventurous to try it.
    Maybe for the out of town guests putting 20 ounce Inca Colas and alfajores in their welcome bags.
    I have researched Peruvian customs/traditions, but as one replier stated there aren't that many. Plus I am skipping the bouquet toss and anything that will point out who is single.
    I totally love the band idea, but afaid of the cost.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards