Latino Weddings
Options

Mantilla Veil

Does anyone have any strong thoughts about the mantilla veil?  I think they are so pretty.  But, you don't see them very often.  I am wondering what others' thoughts are...

Re: Mantilla Veil

• Options
    latina40299latina40299 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they're beautiful, If you really want to wear one on your wedding day I say go for it, you might want to put one on while trying on wedding dresses to see if you like the look of it or if you'd like a different veil.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they're beautiful.  Just make sure it compliments rather than competes with your dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think most are beautiful.  I just don't like the ones that are too ornate.  I just want a veil with some simple lace around the edge.  I have yet to find one that I really love, and am just thinking about making it myself.
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  I really think they are so beautiful as well. 
  • Options
    Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like true Mantilla Veils, but do not care for the 'American' version of them which is what most people identify them as these days (tulle with a lace border). I actually got a somewhat traditional mantilla, but since I couldn't afford a really long authentic one I went with something that is pretty much a cross between the Catholic ones and the American version.
    Here are some pictures to show you the difference!

My Veil

The American Version of a "Mantilla"

A Traditional Spanish Mantilla

So my 'strong thought' that you asked for is that I really wish people would stop calling faux mantillas "Mantillas" because it made it very difficult for me to find one that wasn't just made out of tulle and a few pieces of lace.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really like the "faux" one... but they're all beautiful!!!
    they're not mistakes, just learning opportunities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I am glad to hear everyone's opinions.  I have found it difficult to get much information on the mantilla and appreciate the opinions as well as the information on different traditions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the first one!  It is so pretty.  Another question is...how are you going to wear your hair?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great taste!!
    I am looking for a mantilla veil also, but, I want a regal cathedral length and that has been impossible to find.
    If you find any please post on here, thanks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have long curly hair.  I am going to have it all pulled back into a ball of curls in the lower back of my head, similar to a bun, but just curls.  For the reception I am wearing an orchid in my hair and we are having an after party which I will throw on this cute birdcage veil.  At first I was thinking I needed to have my hair down, but I was discussing the issue with my photographer and she sent me a link to a blog of a bride that had a mantilla and had my hairstyle and it was gorgeous!  So, I feel comfortable with that choice now.  It is just hard to find and select a beautiful mantilla.
  • Options
    Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    KRPadilla - would you mind emailing me the link to the picture you have that your photographer sent?  I'll send you a private message with my email address.  I have a mantilla veil and i'm still trying to figure out how i'm going to do my hair!!! 
  • Options
    jccswljccswl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess the veil I wore would be "faux," but I love nonetheless.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Jccswl...I think yours is gorgeous and while some might think it is "faux"...I think it is beautiful!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I too had to have a mantilla veil! Either way they are pretty veils, "faux" or traditional. Ivory tulle with ivory lace about elbow/forearm length is the basic description of my veil. Its simple enough that it won't take from my dress but pretty in its simplicity.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My veil is a "faux" mantilla, but I love it no less.  The only issue now is the hairstyle, right now I'm thinking haf up half down.  What hairstyle do you fellow mantilla lovers recommend?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am wearing a mantilla veil by Edward Berger. It is available at Macy's.  The lace on the edges matches the lace on my dress perfectly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards