Latino Weddings

Tapas style reception

I was thinking instead of doing full course dinner style that we'd have a tapas dinner. Anybody know any a caterer in the Baltimore/DC areas who specialize in Tapas cuisine?

For those who don't know, tapas is a type of spanish-style eating/ cuisine that is like have multiples of miniature dishes like appetizers and everyone shares them. We could either set it up like a buffet or have servers. Any opinions or advice? Thanks

Re: Tapas style reception

• edited December 2011
    I just saw your post...I'm the Baltimore area. Do you know where you are having your wedding at yet? There are a few Tapas restaurants downtown in Baltimore but I know there are probably some closer to you in the DC area. Maybe you can call around to those places and see if they do outside catering. 
    Some of the places are Pazo, Tapas Teatro, and La Tasca. I've only been to Pazo before and the food was good. I know there are more but I can't think of them.
    Your idea sounds very similar to an Hors d'Oeuvres reception which I've read articles on in wedding magazines. It was something we thought (shortly) about but in the end decided on a buffet dinner.
    You might also want to ask the MD boards since the girls there just might have more information and recommendations for you.
  • edited December 2011
    it's actually going to probably be in VA. We just moved to Baltimore recently but our families are in the DC/MD/VA region - thanks for the tips though, really good to know, I'm going to check them out.
  • Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I considered doing tapas originally but my fiance was against it. He has insisted on a full meal, but I personally would be fine with it. For a little extra help if you want to do Spanish tapas you can order some authentic stuff here:
    http://www.tienda.com/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I actually went to a wedding where the reception took place in a tapas restaurant in Boston. Being a non-hispanic, it was actually really fun and a great conversation starter with people we didn't know. Just food for thought!
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • rplotkowskirplotkowski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think it's a fun idea!  We're thinking of doing the same thing.  We'd like to have the reception in a private area of a local tapas restaurant and serve the food buffet style and have some items on each table...like bread, cheeses, etc.  For our beverages, I'm thinking about doing beer, red sangria and white sangria.  My FI is latin and I'm not, I think it will be a fun, interactive way for the family's to get to know one another.

• edited December 2011
    I'm doing a luncheon reception at a tapas restaurant but we will only have a couple of tapas offered then everyone will have an choice of an entree.   I love tapas restaurants!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards