Latino Weddings

Reception food

We are having authentic Mexican food catered by a local restaurant. Since my Fiance is caucasian and therefore half our guests will be, would it be a good idea to have American food as well? The reception will be buffet style. We are on a tight budget so we can't really afford too much more for different kinds of food. Did anyone do Mexican and American food? How did you present this? Did you have one big buffet of food or stations? Thanks!

Re: Reception food

• Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I think that most Americans eat Mexican food enough that they should be fine with just eating Mexican. I don't think you should give yourself extra stress fussing about food to make everyone happy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with pp, most Americans eat Mexican food. We served only Mexican food at my reception and my husband is African-American. Everyone on his side of the family loved the food.
  • edited December 2011
    just go with maxican!!! spicy and tasty and it represents your culture!!!
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing mexican food. i am mexican/jewish (not kosher sorry) and FI is mexican.  We are actually doing "upscale mexican seafood". That way its not the every day mexican food our guests will be used to.
    *MaryV*
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a non-Hispanic, I'd say that serving just Mexican food is fine. I don't eat MUCH Mexican foods, but I know of it ENOUGH that I'd still be happy with the choices given!
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • munkiimunkii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

About 75% of our guests were non-Mexican and gobbled up the Mexican food.  You're not going to have a problem :)

Matt loves Munkii!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I am white and my fiance is Mexican.  We are serving Mexican food.  Most of my white family and friends are excited because we are having some dishes that are not just your typical Mexican and they are excited to try it.  So, I would just do the Mexican food and enjoy!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree just go with Mexican food. 
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • edited December 2011
    I would personally just do Mexican if that is what you and FI decided on. I feel a wedding should reflect the COUPLE not their family. And if you and FI like Mexican food, i vote for Mexican food only.
    And as PP stated, most Americans eat Mexican food.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards