Just Engaged and Proposals

First comes love then comes marriage....

I guess that rhyme wouldn't have caught on the way it did if it went, first comes love, then comes anxiety, stress, more decisions than you'll have to make the rest of your life combined, then comes marriage. Don't get me wrong, I am so so overwhelmed and happy by the fact that I am getting married that i constently walk around humming Etta James songs, but apparently as far as I got in my plan was the ring. We've been engaged 5 days tomorrow and already set a date and are putting a deposit down on a place in the morning so I felt a little ahead of the game, but now I can't even think about getting any further and people won't stop asking, what are your colors, what kind of dress, who are your bridesmaids? Who else is in thie boat and what are you doing to get started?

Re: First comes love then comes marriage....

• I think everyone feels overwhelmed at some point, breathe and relax, I promise it will be ok.  Congrats and welcome to the board!
  • When these questions are being hurled at you respond with, "We've just gotten engaged!  I'm going to bask in the happiness of this for a while before I dive into the planning.  How have you been doing?"

Deflect the answer and change the subject Wink

Oh and congratulations on your engagement!!!
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I remember getting those questions as well. You can't let it bother you. Like jagore said, change the subject, talk about something else. Or tell them that you will let them know when you have made those decisions.
  • People were asking us those questions within 48 hours of our engagement.  I started by saying, "Hey, we've been engaged for like 5 minutes.  We don't know anything yet!" 

As stressful and overwhelming as the process can be.. try to stop once in a while, take a deep breath and enjoy it!  You're the BRIDE!  It's a very special time that you will only experience once (well, hopefully.. I'm on my second, and I couldn't be happier, but I never expected to be doing it again within a decade of my first time around!)
    we got it right the second time around! ten.twenty.twenty-ten. Anniversary
  • ki10ki10 member
    First Comment
    Such are the pressures that come with marrying a starship captain.

No, but seriously, don't overplan too soon just so you can give people answers. They don't need answers. Even when you'll have some to give, too much spoils the surprise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards