Just Engaged and Proposals

Just Engaged.....Making a few plans.

Hi everyone! This is my first post, but it seems like a great place to get help and ideas! Congratulations to everyone getting married. I got engaged last week and I couldn't be happier. I am in the early early stages of planning a wedding, and I would sincerely appreciate any advice! Here is my situation...............I have never wanted a large wedding. It is much more my style and desire to have an intimate, elegant, sweet ceremony with a small guest list. Right now, I am planning on having only family (50-60 ppl) at an outdoor wedding (either home of a family friend or at a plantation home that does weddings). I am concerned that people will see this as rude if I don't want them at my wedding. It has nothing to do with that, only that my fiance and I aren't from the same place, and know totally different sets of people. Our guest list would be between 300 - 400 people if we went with a big wedding.   Also, several people have mentioned showers to me, and I know that I can't do showers if the guests aren't invited to the wedding. Has anyone faced similar decisions? I would love to hear any advice!! Thanks a lot!

Re: Just Engaged.....Making a few plans.

• Tough decision! A wedding catering to 300-400 people would be INSANE expensive... I would compromise. Obviously you don't want to upset your friends, so maybe have the small wedding with only the family, and then have a separate reception where everyone is invited. :)
  • Just stand firm! If someone offers to throw you a shower and the people they want to invite aren't invited to the wedding, politely decline. Get used to saying, "Sorry, we're just planning a small family wedding." Afterall, it's not their money!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I am in the same boat as you!!! If we had our wedding here in Michigan, our guestlist would be 500-600 people EASILY. For this we are actually planning it to be in Florida. We are going to be moving there anyway, but all our family is here. So 99% of them will not be there
  • It is possible to invite some of your closest friends without going into the 300-400 realm, no? Remember that whatever number you think you might have on your guest list now, you must be a little bit flexible and budget accordingly. Things come up, people insist upon bringing their kids, a plus one, etc. that you didn't plan on, so be prepared for that! I am having 92 people at my wedding, and that is certainly still considered intimate. Won't you miss having some friends there to celebrate with you?
    imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Greater Than the Sum of Its Parts: best of me + best of him = best baby ever (we hope).
    ~ Peas & Carrots with Ruby20! ~
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, we finally got our BFP with IVF/ICSI!
    EDD 8/21/12, DOB 8/28/12
  • just a side note - jenny if your wedding will be in FL you should check out the FL boards, the girls are super helpful there.
  • Maybe where I'm from is a little strange but it is customary to have bridal showers attended by people who will not be attending the wedding. I always grew up with the understanding that this was people's way of contributing to a marriage in the community, third cousin, etc. I see no reason not to allow people that care to have a bridal shower for you, for example co-workers.
  • Also, on the bridal shower topic. It has always seemed ridiculous to me that women invited to a wedding have to give so much to a wedding gift and a bridal shower gift.
  • I'm in the same boat - we're having a small reception, roughly 50-75 people.  I've already had the same qualms about the shower (for one thing, we don't need a lot of "stuff", so I'm not sure it's necessary to make people buy more gifts).  My thought right now is to do more of a classy bachelorette party (nice lunch or dinner and pedicures, or maybe a formal tea).  That way gifts won't be required, but anyone who wants to come celebrate can.  We are only inviting family and a few close mutual friends to the wedding itself.
  • Maybe have a destination wedding and only invite family?
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards