Just Engaged and Proposals

ring frustrations!

We've been engaged since the beginning of August and I still don't have my engagement ring! The jeweler (a friend of my fiance) has been unbelievably unprofessional about making my ring!!!As soon as we decided we were getting married, I knew I wanted to use some stones from my Grandmothers jewelry collection. We found one of her old rings that had several small emeralds and diamonds but the setting was very large and gaudy. We took the ring down to fiance's friends shop and told her what we wanted, got a fair estimate and she said it would be ready in 4 weeks. That was 8 weeks ago! and now she's emailing us saying its going to be an additional $150 because 'emeralds are hard to set'... umm, you knew they were emeralds when we placed your order!!!I understand that this should, does not and will not effect how much I love my fiance. I am so happy we will be spending the rest of our lives together! but the unprofessionalism of this women is putting a sour taste in my mouth regarding my engagement ring. I want to be able to look at the ring years from now and have fond happy memories, instead of the pain it was just to get it in the first place! ok, I need to let that out... funny how venting makes one feel SO much better :)
09.10 Siggy Challenge
One of the very first photos of us, also one of my favorite :)
image 140 Invited image 91 Attending image 35 Declined image 14 Unknown
RSVP Date September 3rd
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: ring frustrations!

• Well, I assume you won't have her make your wedding bands.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Do you have your original order in writing? If so then she legally must abide by it. As a jeweler she would know that emeralds are hard to set (they are very brittle) and should have charged you accordingly in the first place.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm also wondering if you have a contract?  She has to abide by that.Also, this is why you don't do business with friends.
  • Posted too soon.  I hope this all gets worked out and you get your ring soon!
  • Well good luck with it but my first thought is that her original quote was an estimate because you said: "got a fair estimate" To me, that is like when I take my car to the shop and I'm given an estimate that it will cost $X to repair- but then the repairs might end up being more. Unless the price was guaranteed, I don't think there is much that can be done. Perhaps once she started working on it there were additional issues? Anyways, I hope you get your ring soon! Its very unfortunate that its taking 2x as long as originally thought- hopefully it will be well worth the wait! And like PP said, at least you know now to go somewhere else for your wedding bands. :(
  • i'm sorry to hear that. it will all work out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards