Just Engaged and Proposals

Just Engaged and Clueless

When should you have an engagement party after the engagement?

Re: Just Engaged and Clueless

• You should never throw yourself an engagement party. If someone else would like to host one for you and has asked you when would be a good time, it should be shortly after you get engaged (max. a couple month after).
  • Exactly what PP said.
  • I agree. Me & my FH didn't plan our engagement party.... wasn't even expecting one but a couple of our friends hosted us one and it was great...so just let either your friends or family host one.
  • I just went out with some of my friends, which they planned.  A tradition at my school is to throw the girls that get engaged into the fountain.  So they ended up doing it that night.   Just see if any of your friends do anything for you, but I would avoid throwing the party yourself.  You will have PLENTY of showers and parties the few months before the wedding.
    Future Mrs. Smith
  • I had no idea that you couldn't host your own engagement party! Thank you for sharing!
  • Congratulations on your engagement! 

Engagement parties are usually 1 to 3 months after the engagement and never closer than 6 months before the wedding. The invites for the party should be sent around a month before the party.

Traditional etiquette does say that you shouldn't throw yourself an engagement party but also that the bride's parents pay for the entire wedding and all costs associated to it and provide a dowry... I wish!!!! :-) 

Not many peeps i know these days have a dowry and apparently things have changed in regard to engagement parties too,

http://www.engagementexperts.com/engagement-party-etiquette.html

Anyway...food for thought....
  • I still stand by my idea that not throwing your own engagement party is a little ancient.  Like Ms. Rachel said, the Bride's parents also used to pay for the entire thing! 

That being said, my mother is 'officially' hosting our engagement party, but that is just family so they can all meet and it is just a BBQ, nothing big.  I just gave her addresses and names (b/c she doesn't know all these people).  We got engaged April 2nd and the party is June 26th. 

My FI's BM is also supposedly throwing us a little get together of just some close friends. 
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
  • We were engaged Sept. 17th and had our engagement party in early February.
  • We had ours exactly a month after he proposed. At first I thought it was too soon since our wedding isn't until October 2011, but we were all just excited and it was great! Do it when you want :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards