Just Engaged and Proposals

CZ for a wedding ring?

Is it a horrible idea to put CZ in your ring to save money on a super strict budget or is it a no go? anyone have any experience with this or maybe know anyone? We can get a bigger stone for less money and it looks the same to me as long as its from a good jeweler.... plus the ring is GORGEOUS....Undecided

Re: CZ for a wedding ring?

• achiduckachiduck member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2012
    My step mother and step SIL both have CZ engagement rings, and both of them wanted it and specifically told their H's so. 

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks besides you and your FI.
    Anniversary
  • Your ring is your ring, but I would just get a different type of stone that you can afford rather than a fake diamond you are going to pass off as real.

I have seen some amazing rings with rubies, sapphires, emeralds, etc.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_cz-for-a-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:64705ecc-f400-4046-953a-d6d71efd257cPost:b14fad28-1e64-4e2b-b2fe-c84fd331b079">Re: CZ for a wedding ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your ring is your ring, but I would just get a different type of stone that you can afford rather than a fake diamond you are going to pass off as real. I have seen some amazing rings with rubies, sapphires, emeralds, etc.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

<div>This. </div><div>I know a couple people that "claim" their 2 carat CZ ring is really diamond. I find it very tacky. If you are getting a different stone, own it. Who cares?  We all have our likes and wants, but if the reasonyou want a CZ is to pass off as a big honkin' diamond... I think you have major insecurity issues to work through. </div><div>
    </div><div>Ultimately it's your ring. I love the look of colored stones, and your e-ring certainly doesn't HAVE to be diamond by any means.</div>
  • no I would tell ppl it was CZ  and just say how much I saved and how nice it looks compared to a diamond. a stone is a stone to me. I just want a nice large stone but don't want color. I want something nice to look at not an itty bitty diamond I can't see. I'd rather get a cubic zirconia and have it a nice size rather than get a tiny barely visible but on budget diamont just to say it was a diamond. they are all stones just different kinds and if Tiffany hadn't started advertising the "diamond engagement ring" in the 1920's and had used something else the other stone would be what everyone had. just a marketing scheme that stuck...
  • I know I have never once asked someone if their diamond-looking ring was real or not.  You may not be telling people its real, but people are going to assume it, and I find thats why  most people who get CZ's do it.

You are right, there are all different types of stones and a diamond doesnt have to be the only stone for an engagment ring, but a CZ is not a real gemstone.  Its synthetic.

But to each their own.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • yes and most saphires today have the two words "lab created" attached to the front.... so what is the difference? lab created or not it is still a clear stone in the end.... white gold isn't really gold but thats what we tell everyone.... you just helped me make my decision... I'll go with cz and be an honest up front person instead of an insignificant shunned liar... thanks! Smile
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_cz-for-a-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:64705ecc-f400-4046-953a-d6d71efd257cPost:c0cd3722-a04f-4cc9-ad8b-5c19e6b5612f">Re: CZ for a wedding ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]yes and most saphires today have the two words "lab created" attached to the front.... <strong><u>so what is the difference</u></strong>? lab created or not it is still a clear stone in the end.... white gold isn't really gold but thats what we tell everyone.... you just helped me make my decision... I'll go with cz and be an honest up front person instead of an insignificant shunned liar... thanks! 
    Posted by BriLeigh89[/QUOTE]

Well for one, its still a sapphire where as a CZ is not a diamond.  And white gold is gold, its just not pure gold.

I think you should go with whatever you want.  You could save even more money and just get glass.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I will say that with emeralds and rubies, I would go with lab created ones since they are very porous naturally. Sapphires are the 2nd hardest stone. When we were shopping for rings the jeweler we went with has a line of diamonds that are flawed but they made flaws invisable to the naked eye. You can get a bigger stone for less.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • I like the idea of a colored stone. Rubys are my favorite. I wanted a moissanite ring but I guess the Jeweler told FI that the stones in CZs tend to crack or break easier and lose there shine so he bought a diamond. You have to do what makes you happy and comfortable. Here's a CZ that my cousin got. It is pretty. http://www.amazon.com/Size--Solid-Solitaire-Zirconia-Engagement/dp/B002DWL066/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1350224777&sr=8-3&keywords=cz+engagement+rings
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just noticed that you have a ring in mind. Can you post a pic?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_cz-for-a-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:64705ecc-f400-4046-953a-d6d71efd257cPost:b64bf578-1492-4a6f-8fb5-12cba549676c">Re: CZ for a wedding ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]no I would tell ppl it was CZ  and just say how much I saved and how nice it looks compared to a diamond. a stone is a stone to me. I just want a nice large stone but don't want color. I want something nice to look at not an itty bitty diamond I can't see. I'd rather get a cubic zirconia and have it a nice size rather than get a tiny barely visible but on budget diamont just to say it was a diamond. they are all stones just different kinds and if Tiffany hadn't started advertising the "diamond engagement ring" in the 1920's and had used something else the other stone would be what everyone had. just a marketing scheme that stuck...

<div>True.. But that doesn't change the fact that I LOVE my Tiffany ring. And obviously the "just a marketing scheme" worked for you too or you wouldn't feel the need to get a CZ so that you don't have an "itty bitty diamond". You admit you want a nice large stone... I'm not sure what your point was of pointing out the marketing scheme when it worked on you as well. </div><div>
    </div><div>Ultimately you should go with what you love and can afford. If that's just a simple band, wonderful. If you feel you really need a big stone that looks like a diamond but cheaper, I guess go CZ. Out of curiousity.. How does your Fi feel about this? I mean.. Is he the one buying it or is it a mutual thing? Does it upset him that he may not be able to afford the size diamond that you want? </div><div>
    </div>
  • I think it's fine. It seems like the golden ticket for you is clear and sparkley, but not going into debt, so CZ would make sense. If you decide later you want a diamond you can always switch it out when you have more money. I wouldn't notice a difference I am sure (nor would I care if it is someone else's ring). You can tell your friends how happy you are with it and if a stranger asks if it's 'real,' well, that is rude, so I wouldn't even bother answering.
  • I know people that have a CZ for a wedding ring.  I also know people who don't have any stones at all.  It is your preference and it signifies your bond.  You do not need to "explain" your choice to anyone. 
  • I found one I liked that was CZ and the same ring with a diamond is a few thousand dollars... I don't want that much money on my hand but I like the ring the size it is so to make it affordable the jeweler said cz would do the trick and I could have the ring I wanted at the price I could afford. I'm not doing it to show off. I have a VERY tight budget and the ring I had my heart set on could be made affordable for my budget. as for your interest in my FI opinion he said I could have CZ if that was what I wanted because I don't want the slightest bit of color. I have a princess Kate ring he bought me that I wanted to use as my engagement ring because it is gorgeous but everyone told me bc they knew it was from walmart it was tacky and now I never wear it because they are rude every time I do. I was told color was not an engagemnet ring and it wasn't traditional. I come from a traditional town where everyone knows everyone and they aren't afraid to be rude or hurt feelings and mine seem to be everyone's target right now. so I can't use my princess kate ring because its from the walmart jewelry counter and everyone in town has to be rude about that and I can't use CZ because that offends the women on here who come from places where money is no object and tiffany is on everyones ring finger. my farm town doesn't hand out that kind of cash.... 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_cz-for-a-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:64705ecc-f400-4046-953a-d6d71efd257cPost:8efa2d7f-af1e-42a1-9a49-93f04680918c">Re: CZ for a wedding ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's fine. It seems like the golden ticket for you is clear and sparkley, but not going into debt, so CZ would make sense. If you decide later you want a diamond you can always switch it out when you have more money. I wouldn't notice a difference I am sure (nor would I care if it is someone else's ring). You can tell your friends how happy you are with it and if a stranger asks if it's 'real,' well, that is rude, so I wouldn't even bother answering.
    Posted by SachaBee[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>thank you... this is all I am really trying to do. right now money is just too tight to spend $1,000.00 on a ring... my grandma upgraded hers and so did his grandmother. they got real diamonds when the money got better....</div>
  • for the request for a pic. here it is...

• edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_cz-for-a-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:64705ecc-f400-4046-953a-d6d71efd257cPost:b9e86360-0d46-49a9-8533-b904196328fc">Re: CZ for a wedding ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I found one I liked that was CZ and the same ring with a diamond is a few thousand dollars... I don't want that much money on my hand but I like the ring the size it is so to make it affordable the jeweler said cz would do the trick and I could have the ring I wanted at the price I could afford. I'm not doing it to show off. I have a VERY tight budget and the ring I had my heart set on could be made affordable for my budget. as for your interest in my FI opinion he said I could have CZ if that was what I wanted because I don't want the slightest bit of color. I have a princess Kate ring he bought me that I wanted to use as my engagement ring because it is gorgeous but everyone told me bc they knew it was from walmart it was tacky and now I never wear it because they are rude every time I do. I was told color was not an engagemnet ring and it wasn't traditional. I come from a traditional town where everyone knows everyone and they aren't afraid to be rude or hurt feelings and mine seem to be everyone's target right now. so I can't use my princess kate ring because its from the walmart jewelry counter and everyone in town has to be rude about that and I can't use CZ because that offends the women on here who come from places where money is no object and tiffany is on everyones ring finger. my farm town doesn't hand out that kind of cash.... 
    Posted by BriLeigh89[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Color isn't traditional.. neither is CZ? </div><div>And if you're going to be so honest and upfront about the fact that it's not a "real diamond", don't you think you're going to get the same rude looks/remarks that you do for the ring you have? </div><div>
    </div><div>And it's incredibly RUDE of YOU to imply that I come from some magical place that just allots me copious amounts of money. My husband works incredibly hard protecting this country and we both are incredibly dedicated to our investment/savings plans to be able to afford the things we want here and there. We aren't handed "out that kind of cash" either. We work for it.
    Rude rude rude.</div><div>
    </div><div>Ultimately, it's a ring on YOUR finger. YOu shouldn't be making decisions based on the opinions of others regarding something that you will wear for your entire life. If the only reason you're getting a ring is because people are making fun of the one you already have, that's an insecurity issue, not a budget issue. </div><div>And if you so love this ring and want to be able to make it work in the way that it is affordable for the two of you, without offending your FI, then get it. </div><div>It's a piece of jewelry. A year from now you will find it silly that you stressed over all of this anyway. </div><div>But there is no need for you to insult others that are asking your true intentions on a post you made for OPINIONS. You wanted to hear people's opinions and we asked questions and gave it. </div>
  • OP, have you considered moissanite?  It's clear and sparkly but much more durable than a CZ.
  • I think a certain poster should stop posting on my board since she takes offense but also comes up with a million reasons why everything I say is wrong. I wouid appreciate it if you didn't post on my discussion again because you are not helping. I think I will just skip getting a ring because the money is tight and nothing looks good and everyone thinks it has to be a diamond or otherwise colored. Ppl come on here for help then the ppl posting and saying they are helping push their own opinions past the point of getting it across and hurt feelings and alienate ppl. I am sorry you are offended but I never said a word about your Husband or you or where you are but tossing out that you have a beautiful tiffany ring on a page where a girl is on a budget and can't have the nice things you do is a little insulting in itself. but no one on these boards ever cares about how the person asking for help feels. its always about your opinion and how "YOU" feel... i.e "passing off CZ as real" acting as though I would have the audacity to try and fool everyone. I just want a nice ring with an affordable stone that I can change out later for a better stone. I wanted to know if it was durable and if it stuck out to the naked eye and if anyone would call me out on it until the point I could afford a real diamond or if it would break or look like plastic. I'm not trying to fool ppl or hurt anyone I just want something that will be durable til the stone can be changed. I have gotten two or three helpful opinions and more than enough of rude opinions from the same two posters, one of which is a moderator. I am not looking for ppl to lie just to answer yes it is durable my mother has one or no I had a ring like that and it broke. not the ones where ppl post how I'm trying to be sneaky and fool everyone or I'm just trying to be vain. I just found a ring I liked but needed a cheaper colorless stone set in. this isn't the first time I have posted on here and regretted ever asking for help. I just want honest opinions without the rude undertones and snobby remarks. if you are going to be rude you will get it right back... free country... at least for now...
  • I kind of find it weird and a little insulting when I hear of people getting a CZ ring.
    My H did not have a lot of money when he bought my ring, and my diamond (by most accounts) is fairly small. I don't know exactly how much it cost, but I know that he had to save and sacrifice for it, and because of that, it's so so so so special to me. It would have been so weird to flash around a big CZ, passing it off as a diamond, when most people knew our financial situation (career change, going back to school, moving across the country, etc).

It's kind of the same thing I feel about getting a fake designer purse. Most people that know me know I probably couldn't afford a 1K purse, so even if I bought the best fake I could find, people would probably think it was fake.

Yeah, I guess you could throw around 'I don't care what people think', but if you truly didn't, you wouldn't be getting a bigger stone to begin with.
  • Here is my problem with CZ rings- 1) People try to pass them off as diamonds (although you said you wouldn't) but mainly 2) CZ will not hold up over time. They get yellow or become gray and cloudy and have to be replaced often. So yes it look great for the first year or to but after that it looks like well a CZ, if you know what I mean.  In the long run you save money with a diamond that will last forever.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_cz-for-a-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:64705ecc-f400-4046-953a-d6d71efd257cPost:2c72b19c-10f6-4a12-baf7-a769bbbac650">Re: CZ for a wedding ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think a certain poster should stop posting on my board since she takes offense but also comes up with a million reasons why everything I say is wrong. I wouid appreciate it if you didn't post on my discussion again because you are not helping. I think I will just skip getting a ring because the money is tight and nothing looks good and everyone thinks it has to be a diamond or otherwise colored. Ppl come on here for help then the ppl posting and saying they are helping push their own opinions past the point of getting it across and hurt feelings and alienate ppl. I am sorry you are offended but I never said a word about your Husband or you or where you are but tossing out that you have a beautiful tiffany ring on a page where a girl is on a budget and can't have the nice things you do is a little insulting in itself. but no one on these boards ever cares about how the person asking for help feels. its always about your opinion and how "YOU" feel... i.e "passing off CZ as real" acting as though I would have the audacity to try and fool everyone. I just want a nice ring with an affordable stone that I can change out later for a better stone. I wanted to know if it was durable and if it stuck out to the naked eye and if anyone would call me out on it until the point I could afford a real diamond or if it would break or look like plastic. I'm not trying to fool ppl or hurt anyone I just want something that will be durable til the stone can be changed. I have gotten two or three helpful opinions and more than enough of rude opinions from the same two posters, one of which is a moderator. I am not looking for ppl to lie just to answer yes it is durable my mother has one or no I had a ring like that and it broke. not the ones where ppl post how I'm trying to be sneaky and fool everyone or I'm just trying to be vain. I just found a ring I liked but needed a cheaper colorless stone set in. this isn't the first time I have posted on here and regretted ever asking for help. I just want honest opinions without the rude undertones and snobby remarks. if you are going to be rude you will get it right back... free country... at least for now...

Honestly if you are this fragile TK is not the place for you. No one was rude to you. It's a public message board- you can't tell people how to post. Try WeddingBee if you need validation.  They will tell you whatever you want to hear ofer there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_cz-for-a-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:64705ecc-f400-4046-953a-d6d71efd257cPost:689c2573-e200-416e-8fb5-7c44300a2755">Re: CZ for a wedding ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I kind of find it weird and a little insulting when I hear of people getting a CZ ring. My H did not have a lot of money when he bought my ring, and my diamond (by most accounts) is fairly small. I don't know exactly how much it cost, but I know that he had to save and sacrifice for it, and because of that, it's so so so so special to me. It would have been so weird to flash around a big CZ, passing it off as a diamond, when most people knew our financial situation (career change, going back to school, moving across the country, etc). It's kind of the same thing I feel about getting a fake designer purse. Most people that know me know I probably couldn't afford a 1K purse, so even if I bought the best fake I could find, people would probably think it was fake. Yeah, I guess you could throw around 'I don't care what people think', but if you truly didn't, you wouldn't be getting a bigger stone to begin with.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

I agree what you're saying. My FH is just getting back on his feet after lossing is job 2ce in 3 yrs and couldn't afford a big diamond. I also don't like big flashy rings, so we designed my ring. My center stone is the biggest stone at 3 milimeters(about 1/10 carat). Does it look that small? Not really, but I'm sure that it being green helps with making it look bigger. We found that having a lot of little diamonds kept the cost down but gave me a larger total carat weight in our budget vs a solitare diamond.

I totally agree about the fake purse but I've found some awesome deals on designer handbags at 2nd hand stores(Goodwill, St. Vincent de Paul) and I paid $20 for a Prada bag. I was leary at first but did some research on how to tell a fake from a real bag and couldn't believe that it was real!!! My family and close friends know how much of thifty shopper I am(I rarely buy groceries not on sale and/or with coupons) so they knew it had to be real and I got it for a great deal.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_cz-for-a-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:64705ecc-f400-4046-953a-d6d71efd257cPost:2c72b19c-10f6-4a12-baf7-a769bbbac650">Re: CZ for a wedding ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think a certain poster should stop posting on my board since she takes offense but also comes up with a million reasons why everything I say is wrong. I wouid appreciate it if you didn't post on my discussion again because you are not helping. I think I will just skip getting a ring because the money is tight and nothing looks good and everyone thinks it has to be a diamond or otherwise colored. Ppl come on here for help then the ppl posting and saying they are helping push their own opinions past the point of getting it across and hurt feelings and alienate ppl. I am sorry you are offended but I never said a word about your Husband or you or where you are but tossing out that you have a beautiful tiffany ring on a page where a girl is on a budget and can't have the nice things you do is a little insulting in itself. but no one on these boards ever cares about how the person asking for help feels. its always about your opinion and how "YOU" feel... i.e "passing off CZ as real" acting as though I would have the audacity to try and fool everyone. I just want a nice ring with an affordable stone that I can change out later for a better stone. I wanted to know if it was durable and if it stuck out to the naked eye and if anyone would call me out on it until the point I could afford a real diamond or if it would break or look like plastic. I'm not trying to fool ppl or hurt anyone I just want something that will be durable til the stone can be changed. I have gotten two or three helpful opinions and more than enough of rude opinions from the same two posters, one of which is a moderator. I am not looking for ppl to lie just to answer yes it is durable my mother has one or no I had a ring like that and it broke. not the ones where ppl post how I'm trying to be sneaky and fool everyone or I'm just trying to be vain. I just found a ring I liked but needed a cheaper colorless stone set in. this isn't the first time I have posted on here and regretted ever asking for help. I just want honest opinions without the rude undertones and snobby remarks. if you are going to be rude you will get it right back... free country... at least for now...

<div>1. You can not tell people not to post on your thread. It's the internet; and a public forum at that. By posting here, you acknowledged the fact that you were asking complete strangers their opinions. Whether they match yours or not is a different story. It honestly sounds like you were just looking for affirmation, not real opinions. </div><div>
    </div><div>2. Skip getting a ring? You already mentioned that you already have one that you were going to use as your engagement ring. If that comment was meant for you to get a little pity party and attention, ooooooh lordy good luck on TK. </div><div>
    </div><div>3. So you get to insult me regarding the money we make as it clearly is just "handed" to us, then when I call you out on how RUDE that comment was, you get to tell me that the fact that I have a Tiffany ring is insulting? That's like saying women that are tall, naturally skinny, with big boobs offends you, just because you're not that. THat's ridiculous. Grow up. It's a ring. And YOU brought up the marketing scheme in the first place which is why my comment was made. </div><div>
    </div><div>4."I wanted to know if it was durable and if it stuck out to the naked eye and if anyone would call me out on it "</div><div> You NEVER asked about the durability in your OP. </div><div>You also never asked if it stuck out to the naked eye in your OP. </div><div>You also never asked if someone would call you out on it in your OP. </div><div>But now that you want to know if it sticks out to thenaked eye... uhhh? As what? A CZ? Why does that matter if you're not going to "lie and fool" people regarding what stone it is? You now want to know if people are going to call you out on it? Well, if you're so "honest" about it not being a diamond, and you made it clear that the people you're around aren't afraid to be rude..t hen probably. </div><div>
    </div><div>5. If this isn't the first time you have posted a question and gotten "rude" remarks back, then you should have learned your lesson the first time and 1. gone to a different website, or 2. reevaluated how you ask questions, speak to others, and expect in return to said asked questions. I would suggest the latter, but clearly you have no interest in my suggestions anyway. </div><div>
    </div><div>6. "If you're going to be rude you will get it right back... free country" </div><div>HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH You don't have to tell ME about it being a free country. Really? Was that suppose to be a little dig at my husband? You're very very right. As an American you have the ultimate freedom to speak your mind however and to whomever you wish. </div><div>As do I. </div><div>Glad we cleared that up. </div><div>
    </div><div>OP , I'm not sure why you are so defensive on this topic when the mod and I have not been rude and snide at all. We have been honest in our opinions/concerns with you,and have asked a couple questions to better understand for your sake and for ours. You asked opinions on a CZ ring and if it was ok. That's all you were asking. We answered, and you didn't like it. Time to put on your big-girl pants and realize that people will have different opinions than you.. especially on the freakin' internet. </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_cz-for-a-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:64705ecc-f400-4046-953a-d6d71efd257cPost:2c72b19c-10f6-4a12-baf7-a769bbbac650">Re: CZ for a wedding ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think a certain poster should<strong><u> stop posting on my board</u></strong> since she takes offense but also comes up with a million reasons why everything I say is wrong. I wouid appreciate it if you didn't post on my discussion again because you are not helping. I think I will just skip getting a ring because the money is tight and nothing looks good and everyone thinks it has to be a diamond or otherwise colored. Ppl come on here for help then the ppl posting and saying they are helping push their own opinions past the point of getting it across and hurt feelings and alienate ppl. I am sorry you are offended but I never said a word about your Husband or you or where you are but tossing out that you have a beautiful tiffany ring on a page where a girl is on a budget and can't have the nice things you do is a little insulting in itself. but no one on these boards ever cares about how the person asking for help feels. its always about your opinion and how "YOU" feel... i.e "passing off CZ as real" acting as though I would have the audacity to try and fool everyone. I just want a nice ring with an affordable stone that I can change out later for a better stone. I wanted to know if it was durable and if it stuck out to the naked eye and if anyone would call me out on it until the point I could afford a real diamond or if it would break or look like plastic. I'm not trying to fool ppl or hurt anyone I just want something that will be durable til the stone can be changed. I have gotten two or three helpful opinions and more than enough of rude opinions from the same two posters, one of which is a moderator. I am not looking for ppl to lie just to answer yes it is durable my mother has one or no I had a ring like that and it broke. not the ones where ppl post how I'm trying to be sneaky and fool everyone or I'm just trying to be vain. I just found a ring I liked but needed a cheaper colorless stone set in. this isn't the first time I have posted on here and regretted ever asking for help. I just want honest opinions without the rude undertones and snobby remarks. if you are going to be rude you will get it right back... free country... at least for now...

This is not "Your Board" and you have no right to tell anyone that they can or cannot post.

This is a message board.  You are going to get many different and honest opinions on questions that you ask.  If you just want validation, then dont ask for opinions.  Many people have strong opinions against CZ because they find them fake and tacky.  Some people think they are fine.

You dont get to dictate how people respond.  My suggestion to you is that you lurk some more to find out how the boards flow if you are that sensitive about someone saying "I think they look cheap and fake and I think people who get them get it to trick people into thinking they have a big diamond.", then maybe you should re-think the internet.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_cz-for-a-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:64705ecc-f400-4046-953a-d6d71efd257cPost:b9e86360-0d46-49a9-8533-b904196328fc">Re: CZ for a wedding ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I found one I liked that was CZ and the same ring with a diamond is a few thousand dollars... I don't want that much money on my hand but I like the ring the size it is so to make it affordable the jeweler said cz would do the trick and I could have the ring I wanted at the price I could afford. I'm not doing it to show off. I have a VERY tight budget and the ring I had my heart set on could be made affordable for my budget. as for your interest in my FI opinion he said I could have CZ if that was what I wanted because I don't want the slightest bit of color. I have a princess Kate ring he bought me that I wanted to use as my engagement ring because it is gorgeous but everyone told me bc they knew it was from walmart it was tacky and now I never wear it because they are rude every time I do. I was told color was not an engagemnet ring and it wasn't traditional. I come from a traditional town where everyone knows everyone and they aren't afraid to be rude or hurt feelings and mine seem to be everyone's target right now. so I can't use my princess kate ring because its from the walmart jewelry counter and everyone in town has to be rude about that and I can't use CZ because that offends the women on here who come from places where money is no object and tiffany is on everyones ring finger. my farm town doesn't hand out that kind of cash.... 

1) don't blame anyone else for your budgetary situation. Life isn't about that.
    2) If people at home are rude to you about the ring you want, s-c-r-e-w them
    3) I think Tiffany rings are gorgeous and classic. If I got one someday I'd cry. Don't hate on what you can't afford.
    4)I'm an april and an e-ring is the only time i'll get a diamond
    5) CZ doesn't offend anyone- you want a big clear stone and CZ is usually used in fake-diamond jewelry.
    6) This is a free country, so learn to deal with others. If you don't like the responses, don't post.
    7) Go with a no stone ring. If people in your town will talk about a non-diamond ring, you'll still be the topic of conversation.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You go First!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_cz-for-a-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:64705ecc-f400-4046-953a-d6d71efd257cPost:ca4888a2-c741-423f-9c9c-f11e6b4fb0bd">Re: CZ for a wedding ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: CZ for a wedding ring? : 1. You can not tell people not to post on your thread. It's the internet; and a public forum at that. By posting here, you acknowledged the fact that you were asking complete strangers their opinions. Whether they match yours or not is a different story. It honestly sounds like you were just looking for affirmation, not real opinions.  2. Skip getting a ring? You already mentioned that you already have one that you were going to use as your engagement ring. If that comment was meant for you to get a little pity party and attention, ooooooh lordy good luck on TK.  3. So you get to insult me regarding the money we make as it clearly is just "handed" to us, then when I call you out on how RUDE that comment was, you get to tell me that the fact that I have a Tiffany ring is insulting? That's like saying women that are tall, naturally skinny, with big boobs offends you, just because you're not that. THat's ridiculous. Grow up. It's a ring. And YOU brought up the marketing scheme in the first place which is why my comment was made.  4."I wanted to know if it was durable and if it stuck out to the naked eye and if anyone would call me out on it "  You NEVER asked about the durability in your OP.  You also never asked if it stuck out to the naked eye in your OP.  You also never asked if someone would call you out on it in your OP.  But now that you want to know if it sticks out to thenaked eye... uhhh? As what? A CZ? Why does that matter if you're not going to "lie and fool" people regarding what stone it is? You now want to know if people are going to call you out on it? Well, if you're so "honest" about it not being a diamond, and you made it clear that the people you're around aren't afraid to be rude..t hen probably.  5. If this isn't the first time you have posted a question and gotten "rude" remarks back, then you should have learned your lesson the first time and 1. gone to a different website, or 2. reevaluated how you ask questions, speak to others, and expect in return to said asked questions. I would suggest the latter, but clearly you have no interest in my suggestions anyway.  6. "If you're going to be rude you will get it right back... free country"  HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH You don't have to tell ME about it being a free country. Really? Was that suppose to be a little dig at my husband? You're very very right. As an American you have the ultimate freedom to speak your mind however and to whomever you wish.  As do I.  Glad we cleared that up.  OP , I'm not sure why you are so defensive on this topic when the mod and I have not been rude and snide at all. We have been honest in our opinions/concerns with you,and have asked a couple questions to better understand for your sake and for ours. You asked opinions on a CZ ring and if it was ok. That's all you were asking. We answered, and you didn't like it. Time to put on your big-girl pants and realize that people will have different opinions than you.. especially on the freakin' internet. 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Firsttimersluck,  I agree...  Do not ask a question unless you want the answer.  Yep free country and my family as others had a great hand in making it that way.
    As for a CZ ring,  I could care less.  If that is the ring you want then wear it. 
    I would not come ask questions of anyone without wanting their real opinions.
    I could care less if you wear a ring or not, this is one more of those freedoms afforded to you by living in this country.   
    Personally I am not a diamond girl. Nor has anyone been in my family for a very long time. Call it our family tradition? Call us cheap? Whatever.   I call it the freedom to make my own choice.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA and those that defend her, past and present.
  •  I'm not offended or am I over here upset at what you say but I know people who would be. I would like to say thank you to HobokenBride who always has helpful advice and the few others here that helped. 

I respect those who have colored rings it is nothing against them that I don't want one. every jewler I have went to has said that colored stones dont go in engagement rings so I don't know where I would go where I could get a nice emerald or a pink stone which I believe is a saphire? Our hometown jewelers seem to be pushing the diamonds by turning down the colored stones at least that is what I am starting to think. I apoloize to those that I offended I will try to do better in the future to keep my anxiety infused, emotional rudeness in check. 

I came on here to make friends and I guess I read too much into the replies, emotion cannot be typed into a post.

So to those of you I offended I send my deepest apologies, to those of you who are too offended to accept  them just know that I am sorry. 

I took this too far and I will keep myself in check in the future.
  • No need to apologize lady.  You will find these boards are a great source for information and advice.  The advice tends to be blunt and honest, but it is good advice.

You might also want to check out your local board to find brides in your area that can help you with vendors and other things local.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards