Just Engaged and Proposals

Advice? Wearing your ring to an interview

Note: I have already done a LOT of internet research on this, and am finding many conflicting points.

I have an important interview this Wednesday and am debating whether to wear my ring or not.

Pros: It shows I have a stable life. It is part of who I am. I like it.  Not wearing it may be seen as deceitful.

Cons: Although it is not particularly large, it isn't small and may indicate that I don't need the job as badly as I do (my current position is not something my sanity can take much longer and my fiance works for the state, so neither of us makes much money).  It indicates that I will be planning a wedding, which they may fear I would do at work and it indicates that I may need time off in the near future for the wedding/honeymoon/having children.

The biggest remark I have found so far that seems unfounded is people saying that it is illegal to make a hiring decision based on marital status (true, but you could never prove it), and that you wouldn't want to work for a company that might make that decision (again, true, but I desparately want this job).

What do you think?

Re: Advice? Wearing your ring to an interview

• Depends on the industry. As a general rule, if it's a more male dominated industry, don't wear it, but do for a more female dominated industry. I have more additional caveats, though. For instance, even if it's a male dominated industry, it'll help to wear it if you need to convince the interviewer why you want to move to or settle in a certain region or city, i.e. your fiance already has a job or lives in the area. Mostly though, it probably won't make a difference. These things rarely do, only on the most extreme margins.
  • What industry are you talking about?  I can tell you now, I have never had an interview where my husband did not come up in the initial chit chat.  I also don't know anyone who judges ring size when evaluating whether or not to hire someone for a job. 
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I am applying for a job in arts administration at a university (I have a MM and my background and internship are in arts admin).  The people I will be meeting with will be more on the academic side than the artistic side, and I believe they are both women.
  • Is your wedding or honeymoon occuring during the academic year?  I'd probably wear my ring either way, but if you are plannig your wedding and honeymoon say in the summer or over winter recess, when things are generally much slower at Universities I would be even less concerned about those interviewing worrying about you taking time off.
  • I just finished the interview process for an administrative job at a university (I start next Monday - woohoo!), and I didn't wear my e-ring to any of my 3 interviews. Why? My ring was in being repaired after losing a stone. I would have worn it otherwise because I really don't think it's a huge deal. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • I wore mine to my interview for my current position.  I was gong to be getting married and go on a honeymoon about 1 month after I ended up starting.  I didn't mention that until I got the job though.  I just worked for 4 weeks and took unpaid leave for wedding stuff.  I think it depends on travel demands. I applied for something that involved up to 50% travel and wished I hadn't worn my ring there, just so I would appear more flexible.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_advice-wearing-your-ring-to-an-interview?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:6b29196c-03ac-44cd-9ebf-4df4c79b8537Post:7ae59af3-8e42-4187-8fc1-130c65796164">Re: Advice? Wearing your ring to an interview</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am applying for a job in arts administration at a university (I have a MM and my background and internship are in arts admin).  The people I will be meeting with will be more on the academic side than the artistic side, and I believe they are both women.
    Posted by LaineEtc[/QUOTE]

<div>Don't be afraid to wear your ring. I work in an academic setting and have been on numerous hiring committees; not once have any of us made note of jewelry and passed judgement on material items portraying the need for a job or not. You're applying for the job - that proves need enough. Good luck! :-)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am a recruiter and I can tell you that I would never think someone did or did not need a job based on their ring size. Wear it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards