Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Halloween Wedding 2011 Date

My fiance and I want a Halloween wedding in 2011, but it falls on a Monday. Would it be weird to have our reception on the Saturday before but actually get married on Monday? Or should we just move the whole thing to Oct 29th? Dilemmas, dilemmas....appreciate other thoughts.

Re: Halloween Wedding 2011 Date

• Options
    I would do the Saturday. You shouldn't have a reception before you're married. At a reception you are honoring your guests and celebrating a marriage. So I don't think that it's fitting to be married two days later.

If you really want a 10/31/11 wedding, get married on a Monday... my cousin did this and yes they had several people RSVP no, but some will be willing to turn it into a long weekend. If the date means that much to you and a Monday wedding is doable then by all means do that. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, and most things will be cheaper anyways. You could do weekend activities to get people excited, using a Halloween theme (??) and they may be more than happy to have a vacation with no work on Monday!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I agree with PP, if you would like to make sure everyone can possibly be there, shoot for Saturday.  If you don't mind, go for Monday.  :)  Either way, come over to the Oct. 2011 board!  We have a BLAST over there.
  • Options
    I think making a three-day weekend out of it would be fun, but here are some issues to consider:

Would most of your potential guests have kids?  Those kids would probably be furious if they had to miss trick-or-treating for a wedding.  And I'm not sure too many parents would be willing to do that to them.

How far would most of your guests be traveling from?  If the majority would be local, Monday afternoon would be fine.  If many would be traveling long distance, is it feasible to do a morning wedding and have them drive out around 1-2 pm so they can get home at decent hours?  How many guests would have to fly? 

If none of these issues will work out well for your guests, you may want to consider doing a Halloween themed ceremony and reception on that Saturday instead.  If everyone's local and you think you could have something mid-day or early PM so the can still do their family festivities, then go for Monday!  Good luck!
    Anniversary

PersonalMilestone

Dancin' Shoes
  • Options
    You can certainly do a Halloween wedding on the Saturday (10/29) or Sunday (10/30).

Unless you were my very very close friend, I wouldn't rearrange my life to be there for a Monday wedding.

Also, if you want a late night party, many people won't stay for it because they will have to leave to get back to work the next day (same problem with a Sunday wedding).

I personally think a Saturday works better all around, but you know your family and your guests better than I.  :-)
  • Options
    I personally would have a Halloween themed wedding on Saturday the 29th.  I would not go to a Monday wedding unless it were a close family member or friend.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If I were you I would move everything, the ceremony and the reception, to that Saturday. I've gone to Halloween themed parties that didn't actually fall on Halloween before and never though anything of it so I think you''ll be fine :)
  • Options
    I would move everything to the 29th.  I would not go to a reception before the actual event happens and that takes up too much of your guest time to go to two seperate events.  I would not attend a wedding on a Monday unless it was a destination wedding or if it was for an immediate family member.  Ask yourself if you would be willing to take time off of work if you were a guest and think about how you would feel if you were a guest. 
  • Options
    Do it on Monday Laughing  I'm having my wedding on a Thursday and I'm telling you that you will save a ton of money!  I saved over $15,000 just by having it on a different day.  Check it out.
    pregnancy
  • Options
    Thanks for all your thoughts! Yeah, I have all those things to consider. This is actually a destination wedding and I am trying to keep the guest list to close friends and family, so I don't have to worry about too many people. I live in northern CA, so a lot of us would have to travel anyhow. But we will see...I still have to debate about the location itself! I will travel on over to the 2011 boards too...thanks again all!  Cool
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards