Just Engaged and Proposals

insuring engagment ring(MASS.)

I was wondering if anyone could help me to figure out how we go about insuring my emgagment ring. We do not have homeowners or renters insurance, Do we need to have renters insurance? Or can we do a  policy with just the ring?

Thanks for your help
Jillian

Re: insuring engagment ring(MASS.)

• I was wondering if anyone could help me to figure out how we go about insuring my emgagment ring. We do not have homeowners or renters insurance, Do we need to have renters insurance? Or can we do a  policy with just the ring?

Thanks for your help
    Jillian
  • With my insurance company, I could insure it without renters, but it cost about double what it did when I added renters.  My FI put it on his policy until we switched all of our insurance to my company.
  • You can do what PP said or you can go with a specific jewelry insurance company.
  • A lot of people on another forum I'm on go through Jewelers Mutual.
    http://www.jewelersmutual.com/
  • I did mine through State Farm.  They were great to work with! 

Since my Fi owns the house by himself and 'gave' me the ring - I could not add it to his home owners.  I have rental insurance with Amica but I did not like the way they handled their jewelry insurance - if I was to lose my ring, they have an onsite jeweler that would 'make' me a new ring based on the appraisal information - I did not like that.  So when you are calling around definitely ask how they handle this.

With State Farm, if something was to happen to my ring I get a check for the full appraisal value and can then go shopping for a new ring.  And since mine was custom made - this was very important to me.

It was roughly $127 for a year to insure my ring (it was like $10 or $15 more through Jewelers Mutal).
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses - but they will be in BLACK!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio!
  • I used Jewlers' Mutual

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We used jewelers mutual since it seemed to cover things that homeowner's would not.  You want to make sure it will cover if your stone comes loose or etc. and not just if it's stolen or damaged in a fire or etc.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • There is an article somewhere on the knot about questions you should ask the insurance company before you insure your ring.  I know my insurance company (USAA- for military and their families) has top notch insurance and covers all scenarios.  Also, it only costs about $85 for the year (in conjunction with renters ins.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards