Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Are pics and a party neccessary?

I'm very newly engaged and of course very excited to start planning everything for the wedding but theres a few things about being engaged that I'm just not sure about.  First off, are engagement photos really neccessary?  Several of my friends are already and not all of them had them taken.  What about an engagement party?  I know its my wedding so I can really do what I want but anyone have any pros/cons to having them?

Nicole

Re: Are pics and a party neccessary?

• Options
    Miss EsaMiss Esa member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2012
    An engagement party is something that is thrown for you, so if someone offers and you really don't want one you can decline it.

Engagement Photos are a great way to get comfortable with your wedding photographer. (If you are using the same photographer for both.)
    Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    E-pics came with the photography package we got for our wedding. I think they were included in almost every package I looked at.

We didn't have an engagement party though. No one offered and we weren't about to throw one for ourselves (although some people do). I really don't think they're necessary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options

Congratulations on your engagement!

We just had a small engagement dinner hosted by my parents with just my siblings and my FI's parents and sibling in attendance. It was a very nice low key way to celebrate our engagement.

Our E-pics are included with our photography package although we have not scheduled them yet.

• Options
    My parents threw us an engagement party.To us, engagement pics were an unnecessary expense and we would rather use the money to put into our wedding. We really enjoy looking at photos from the night we got engaged and to us those are our engagement pics.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats!  Nobody threw us an engagement party so we didn't have on.  

We are getting e-pics because they are a part of the package (nearly all packages that I looked at had them).  I hate getting my photo taken so I'm hoping that I like some of our e-pics so I'll feel more comfortable for the wedding.  Plus I like the idea of having pictures of us in normal clothes and hope they have a longer "shelf" life than the wedding photos.
  • Options
    No party for us, but we did to an engagement session. We have a 15 month old daughter and our family pictures were sorely lacking so we did sort of a family/engagement combo.  Our photographers are a husband and wife team and it was nice to get to know them and their shooting style. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats!

We did have an engagemetn party, but we did not get E-Pics. The e-pics were offered for free with our photography package but we decided not to take them anyway. We were never going to use them for STDs or anything like that so there was no point for us.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options
    As you can see, it's really up to each individual couple, and there's no wrong way to do it (unless you are throwing yourself a party, which is a no-no). We didn't do engagement pics, as time escaped us and we never got them done (pretty short engagement).
  • Options
    pomundson0pomundson0 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    Congrats on your engagement! :)

We found a listing on LivingSocial for an hour long photography session on location for an awesome price, that's what really cinched the E-pics for us (money was tight) :)  I love them so much and being the one who is usually behind the camera, it's great to have someone else take a few pics of you two who knows what they're doing ;)  We actually incorperated a lot of them into our guestbook :) And we have since booked her for the wedding after loving her shots as much as we did. Nobody offered to throw us an E-party so we didn't get one.  I do wish his mom would have followed through and submitted the announcement to the local paper though, I'm a sucker for memerobilia, even though i can't spell it! ;)  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We didn't have an engagement party but my H and I did host a "meet and greet" for the bridal party. We thought it would be great for everyone to meet at least once under a casual setting before the wedding. We took engagement photos as well.

As mentioned, engagement party and photos are not a must.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards