Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Using my mother's diamond???

A little bit of history....I reconnected with my boyfriend after many years and we just knew it was right!  We have been dating for about a year and we've known that we will get married for about 6-8 months now but we are not yet engaged.  Money is tight but we are making it just fine. It's just not in our budget to buy a ring...or one that he feels I deserve.
My mother passed away a few years ago and being the only daughter, I have all of her jewelry.  There are rings that belonged to her that I have that I will never wear in the setting that they are in.  And yes, they are diamonds.  He has no problem using the stones for my ring and keeping them in the family, etc.  I'm just not sure about it.  I know that I love this man and want to be married to him.  Does it matter that he uses MY mother's diamond for my ring?  How would other people look at this?

Re: Using my mother's diamond???

• Options
    I have my grandmother's ring, and everyone thinks it's great!  It means a lot to me. I don't know how I feel about breaking up a ring, but then I love my gram's ring setting (vintage). I don't know what I'd do if I didn't. If you'd like to use a diamond from one of your mom's rings, go for it. The only stipulation where I'd say reconsider is if any of those rings were heirlooms, like they were handed down from your mom's mom or other generations.  Then I'd consider leaving them intact--you never know if you will have a daughter who loves vintage jewelry! (or a niece or someone you could "pass it on" to.)
    Crosswalk
  • Options

I think it's perfectly fine.  And what a nice way to have a little reminder of your Mom everyday!  My engagement ring is the diamond that my Dad gave my Mom.  He passed away 17 years ago and she couldn't wear the ring anymore due to medical issues.  When my fiance asked her "permission" to marry me, she offered the diamond but she kept the original setting.  I can't even tell you how much it means to me to have a little piece of the love that my parents shared. 

We have a stipulation/understanding that the diamond will always stay in the family. 

• Options
    I'm using my grandmothers for several reasons.

One, I'm horribly suspicious of the sourcing of diamonds and I like the idea of a recycled one. It might as well by my grandmothrs.

Two, I'll never wear it in the setting it's in.

Three, it's two carats and I wouldn't want to spend money on a ring that big. ;)
  • Options
    it's a great idea. people won't know unless you tell them. why start of your marriage in debt when you have perfectly good diamonds at home? :)
  • Options
    I think it's a great idea, the alternative is it will sit in a drawer and never be seen,
  • Options
    We used my grandmother's diamond and created a unique setting. It's a great way to save money and create something that uniquely represents the two of you, not to be a bump on the log but diamonds are absurdly overpriced and political. If we didn't have this one I would have gone with a different stone entirely.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention, nobody has anything but wonderful things to day about the fact that the diamond was in the family. Marriage is about family and creating a life together so the symbolism of using something existing is really meaningful.
  • Options
    I have my MIL's diamond.  We just put it into a different setting.  So I do not see a problem with it.  Besides who wants a bunch of diamonds in setting that will just sit in a jewerly box forever.  Let them see the light.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I have his grandmothers ring, and his younger sister just got engaged and has her mothers ring. I'm planning on resetting the ring; its bratty but his grandparents are divorced so keeping it all the same just seems like a bad omen to me.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I think it's a wonderful idea. You  could even look into having the metal melted down into a new setting?
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards