Just Engaged and Proposals

XP: A Cautionary Tale (long)

I wish all future brides all the happiness in the world and all the success that they can have with their future marriage. However, I have a cautionary tale to tell:

My cousin has had a bad track record with men. Combine that with her compulsion for relaying her daily soap operas on FB, everyone knows her business, love life or otherwise. Recently, she was involved in this weird relationship with a man ten years older than her (no disrespect to any women who are in functioning, healthy relationships with older men), who was previously married and had two children, both of whom had different mothers (again, no disrespect). I only tell you all of this, because if you knew my cousin, you would know she was in a completely different place in her life than this man. He was newly divorced, and was angry with his ex-wife. We found out that he was using my cousin, and several (we don't know the exact number, at least two) other women to exact revenge on this woman. Essentially like in the movie Crazy, Stupid, Love, where all he wanted to do was have these awesome sexual relationships and rub it in her face. My cousin found this out much too late.

My cousin has been engaged twice before, and married once. She jumps into love like you would not believe. It hurts me to watch this, because we grew up very close and I don't like seeing her get her heart broken time and time again. She got very attached to this man, and worse, she developed a very close relationship with his children. She was ready to settle down with him and help him raise his children, and have children with him of their own. There was no proposal, and no ring, but they referred to each other as husband and wife, and she called his children her own children. I know all of this because, like I said, her life is laid on FB.

She eventually posted on facebook that they were getting married. Again, no proposal, no ring, but she figured it was good as done because they were talking about it like it was really going to happen. She had started making plans to go the Dominican Republic with this guy and his children for a very small, intimate beach wedding. Nothing big, because she had already had a big family affair with her last husband. So, she starts getting really excited, and even posts a wedding countdown on her FB profile. She posts occasional statuses about their life and how wonderful it will be, and then, suddenly, two weeks later, it all comes out. The other women, the vengeful intentions, all of it. And she has this mess to clean up on FB.

The moral of the story is not "be suspicious of your FIs", nor is it "don't get married to a divorced guy". Of course not. This is more fundamental. Don't post your whole relationship and engagement on FB. Because if it doesn't work out, which I certainly hope doesn't happen to any one, you are left with an embarrassing mess of pictures, statuses, and relationship status changes to clean up. Am I saying you should keep your relationship status completely off FB? Nope. However, I am saying this: A few pics or an occasional status, or the exciting switch of your relationship status to "Engaged to Mr. Right" is fine. But consider those statuses and pics. If it gets to a point where you know it will be embarrassing to erase it all later, maybe think twice about posting everything about your FI's favourite meal or his hair colour. I apologize if this offends anyone. However, I hope that my cousin learns from this, and if not, at the very least some of you might.

Happy Holidays, and may your engagements, wedding journeys, and marriages be happy and successful.

Re: XP: A Cautionary Tale (long)

• I completely agree, my now fiance and I actually had a talk and decided apon getting married a few months ago but we know it is in this distance because of where we are with our lives right now but that we do want to get married. He actually proposed to me today with a ring after opening presents. The point of this is that I did not go running to FB and posting a huge status about it or changing my relationship status because there is no telling what is going to happen in the next year. Until plans are made in stone like a date or a dress has been baught and there has been serious talk there is no need for the whole FB world to know.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think the moral of this story should not be, don't post your life on FB (which I agree with) but to make sure you know the guy that you are with. See the realities of the relationship and don' t hide behind the positives while undermining the negatives. It's not rocket science... you should be able to tell if a guy isnt good for you.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_xp-cautionary-tale-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:9c7c61cf-0f7e-4661-945e-fe4450212761Post:39c2098b-0081-44e8-8ec4-4c97a41858fd">Re: XP: A Cautionary Tale (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the moral of this story should not be, don't post your life on FB (which I agree with) but to make sure you know the guy that you are with. See the realities of the relationship and don' t hide behind the positives while undermining the negatives. It's not rocket science... you should be able to tell if a guy isnt good for you.
    Posted by mymissingpuzzlepiece[/QUOTE]

Too true, mymissingpuzzlepiece. Although, I think that goes without saying.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_xp-cautionary-tale-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:9c7c61cf-0f7e-4661-945e-fe4450212761Post:39c2098b-0081-44e8-8ec4-4c97a41858fd">Re: XP: A Cautionary Tale (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the moral of this story should not be, don't post your life on FB (which I agree with) but to make sure you know the guy that you are with. See the realities of the relationship and don' t hide behind the positives while undermining the negatives. It's not rocket science... you should be able to tell if a guy isnt good for you.

This is what I was thinking. Also for lidjamay, no offence but if you don't have enough faith to believe that you and your fiance will be together in a year's time, why did you say yes to his proposal? I mean maybe I read what you wrote wrong, or interpreted it wrong, but the fact that you said 1) you need a concrete plan like having a dress bought before you say anyhing via facebook and 2) that you may not be together in a year's time, makes me wonder why you would say yes to him proposing now. A dress is not a guarantee that a marriage can happen and I'd like to think that a ring is a big sign of the fact that you're boyfriend (now fiance) is committed to being with you for the rest of his life at this point as an engagement ring is a big purchase. So what makes you believe that you two may not be together in a year? If it's the distance (like I believe you said was a possible issue) then why didn't you wait till you got to the point where you were in close proximity to one another before saying yes to his proposal?
    "Love is more than an emotion, it is a verb you must choose to do everyday." Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_xp-cautionary-tale-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:9c7c61cf-0f7e-4661-945e-fe4450212761Post:ecd140ec-84b3-46c9-b836-2885fcb3e383">Re: XP: A Cautionary Tale (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: A Cautionary Tale (long) : Too true, mymissingpuzzlepiece. <strong>Although, I think that goes without saying.</strong>
    Posted by LittleMissCutiePie[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Unfortunately, I don't think this is true. </div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_xp-cautionary-tale-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:9c7c61cf-0f7e-4661-945e-fe4450212761Post:26697c1e-f044-4ac2-9a38-043e8b3d71c3">Re: XP: A Cautionary Tale (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: A Cautionary Tale (long) : Unfortunately, I don't think this is true. 

I guess me saying that is more wishful thinking. Seriously, why are some women so...silly when it comes to relationships?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_xp-cautionary-tale-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:9c7c61cf-0f7e-4661-945e-fe4450212761Post:567c2b2e-49ca-439c-993c-edf54d9374be">Re: XP: A Cautionary Tale (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: A Cautionary Tale (long) : This is what I was thinking. Also for lidjamay, no offence but if you don't have enough faith to believe that you and your fiance will be together in a year's time, why did you say yes to his proposal? I mean maybe I read what you wrote wrong, or interpreted it wrong, but the fact that you said 1) you need a concrete plan like having a dress bought before you say anyhing via facebook and 2) that you may not be together in a year's time, makes me wonder why you would say yes to him proposing now. A dress is not a guarantee that a marriage can happen and I'd like to think that a ring is a big sign of the fact that you're boyfriend (now fiance) is committed to being with you for the rest of his life at this point as an engagement ring is a big purchase. So what makes you believe that you two may not be together in a year? If it's the distance (like I believe you said was a possible issue) then why didn't you wait till you got to the point where you were in close proximity to one another before saying yes to his proposal?
    Posted by aeroprincess87[/QUOTE]

No no no. We are going to get married what I'm saying is we have no idea when because of financial issues. We are currently living seperate because I had to move back in with my mom because of health issues. We have no doubt that it is going to happen. I may have worded it wrong, but I was simply saying before jumping on FB and saying "WE ARE GETTING MARRIED" and opening the door for all of the questions like when and where I'm waiting until he and I know for sure. We have been together for 2 years and known each other for three I couldnt imagine my life without him, I just don't want to have that pressure and expectation from people who aren't that important. My family knows and thats how I am going to leave it for awhile because until I know when the best time will be for he and I, I don't want the 20 questions about our plans. I hope that makes sense.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Gaaah people put way too much on Facebook!  I've been engaged since September, and I've never once changed my FB status.  I don't have a "relationship status" on FB because, in my opinion, it's really nobody's business (and someone is always hurt that you didn't tell them in person).  FB isn't a dating site, so I see no reason that my relationship status should be on there.

I hate to say this, but the people who DO post way too much stuff on FB....I find them very entertaining.
  • RamonaFlowersRamonaFlowers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I get what lida did. When we got engaged, I did mention that I was engaged on FB, but after that I stfu'ed about any potential wedding plans. Which turned out to be a really smart move, because our plans wound up changing 3 times due to finances/family issues. When we finally had a date set in stone (Which was well over a year after the proposal), I made a little mention of that ... and then proceeded to keep quiet again, until like the day before the wedding.

I had total faith in our relationship and that we would be getting married ... but I also had the, erm, "benefit" of being friends with a girl who insisted that she was engaged to every single guy that she ever dated for more than 2 weeks and then proceeded to tell everybody and their mother all about the wedding plans she was making ... and then have to retract every last bit of it when they broke up (Usually because the guy would realize she was completely BSC). She never learned her lesson, but I definitely learned from watching her how embarrassing doing crap like that is.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_xp-cautionary-tale-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:9c7c61cf-0f7e-4661-945e-fe4450212761Post:24484a3f-e228-48e5-b6df-0a7f135bc152">Re: XP: A Cautionary Tale (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: A Cautionary Tale (long) : No no no. We are going to get married what I'm saying is we have no idea when because of financial issues. We are currently living seperate because I had to move back in with my mom because of health issues. We have no doubt that it is going to happen. I may have worded it wrong, but I was simply saying before jumping on FB and saying "WE ARE GETTING MARRIED" and opening the door for all of the questions like when and where I'm waiting until he and I know for sure. We have been together for 2 years and known each other for three I couldnt imagine my life without him, I just don't want to have that pressure and expectation from people who aren't that important. My family knows and thats how I am going to leave it for awhile because until I know when the best time will be for he and I, I don't want the 20 questions about our plans. I hope that makes sense.
    Posted by lidjamay[/QUOTE]

Mmk, well that clears everything up and I can understand that.
    "Love is more than an emotion, it is a verb you must choose to do everyday." Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards