Just Engaged and Proposals

Proposal: Favorite/Unique Detail

Post up your favorite or unique detail about the proposal.  FI do something crazy?  Or crazy-sweet?

Re: Proposal: Favorite/Unique Detail

• emmyrooemmyroo member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    He proposed on Valentine's day using a card with a funny picture of a squirrel on it, which is a kind of an inside joke :)  Then he personalized it by changing the wording slightly so it asked me to marry him!  I love that I have a momento to keep from that day :D
    ~How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough?~
    My Planning Bio (last updated 10/6/12)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We went on a Southern Caribbean Cruise last November.  He took me up to the very top of Paradise Point in beautiful St. Thomas, got down on his knee and proposed to me.  The view of the island and ocean was breathtaking from where we were standing.  It was perfect!

We also got lucky in that he asked a guy working there to take a picture of us, and me knowing absolutely nothing went to stand next to him for our picture and he swung around and got down on his knee.  The guy snapped a picture of it happening!  I was literally shocked and speechless he planned the whole thing out and I had not a clue! Smile

• i went to his apartment in sweats, no makeup, hair a mess.  i was doing laundry and we were watching tv.  i knew he had bought the ring and was expecting a proposal any day - but we tried to avoid the subject so it could be somewhat of a surprise.

he was really quiet all night.  of course, later, he told me it was because he was nervous.  at one point i caught him staring at me and i go, "what!"  he just smirked and said, "nothing." 

i got up to go and change the laundry load and a couple minutes later he came into the laundry room and was pacing around awkwardly.  he was acting so strange and i called him out on it.  when we came back into the apartment he had this cheesy looking candy basket sitting out - it didn't even register in my mind that he was proposing on this night.  he always kinda does cutesy cheesy things like that - cards, flowers, random things.  so i was just thinking, "oh yay, chocolate!"

i sat down on the couch and he came around and got down on one knee.  i was like... whoa!  now!?  sweet!  and the words came out.  i don't even remember what he said but i do remember he was smiling the whole time, pretty nervously, because he wanted the moment to be perfect.  after i said yes he reached over to the candy basket and pulled out a white rose he had nestled in there.  i didn't even notice the rose.  he had put my ring inside the rose - it was so adorable.

haha and afterwards we were sitting there smiling and freaking out - and we both had this moment where we looked at each other and said, "ok, now what!"  that's when we got on our phones to tell our families.
  • FI totally surprised me.  I wasn't expecting a proposal for a few more months.  We went with his two sisters to our local amusement park.  We were there getting goofy pictures in front of one of the fountains with the arrow logo for the amusement park.  Anyway, he'd written "Will you marry me?" on the back.  When we were done taking pictures, he looked at the back of the arrow and said there was something written on the back and I should look at it.  I turned it over and saw what he wrote while he got down on one knee.  I love that his sisters were there to get pictures of the whole thing.  Here's a pic of him asking and a pic afterwards with our sign.

Anniversary
  • My fiance came home from work and like always the dog ran to see him. I was wondering why it was so quiet in the kitchen and then he yelled for me to call the dog because he "had something around his neck." Of course being the paranoid doggie mom that I am I panicked and called him over. So there I was sitting on the floor of the diningroom with my heart pounding a mile a minute ready to rush my dog to the vet (yes, I'm that paranoid). It look me a good 30 seconds to figure out it was a ring box. THEN my heart started pounding even harder and he asked with me sitting on the floor with a 70 lb dog in my lap. It's a great story to tell because even though I knew it would be coming soon I didn't expect THAT!
    Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Hey Jenna....a proposal at Kennywood how awesome!!  I thought I recognized that fountain!!

I had been waiting for the proposal since we picked the ring out together...  My FI and I went away for a few days to the Kalahari Resort - an indoor waterpark.  The place was amazing and beautiful.  On our last morning there, my FI woke me up early and brought me out to the balcony to watch the sun rise.  We sat together talking about how bright our future looked and the possibilities that it held for us.  As the sun was rising, we saw a cloud that resembled an infinity sign.  FI started talking about about how we would be together forever and if I would stand by him forever.  Once I said yes, he bent down on one knee and presented the ring.  It was a wonderful morning!!  :)

I always wanted a grand eloborate proposal, but now that I have had this one, I wouldn't change it. It didn't matter to FI that I wasn't dressed or my hair was combed or that I had morning breath.  He loves me at ALL times, and that will always be special.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_proposal-favoriteunique-detail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:abd854b9-f159-4fda-a62e-804da24ac57bPost:dce225fb-c530-45db-a561-f7ce72450b48">Re: Proposal: Favorite/Unique Detail</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey Jenna....a proposal at Kennywood how awesome!!  I thought I recognized that fountain!! Posted by Lilou902[/QUOTE]

LiLou - Yep!  It was awesome!  We had just been there in July and he talked me into going in August to celebrate his sister's last day of grad school.  (Cause he thought he needed to talk me into going to Kennywood?!  Who wouldn't want to go!?)  But yeah...we got there around 10:30am and he didn't propose until right before 6pm.  He was so relieved to get the ring box out of his pocket and the ring onto my finger.  I can't imagine riding roller coasters with a ring box in my pocket!
    Anniversary
  • It was a total surprise for me. We'd talked about living together for a year before thinking about marriage. We hadn't even moved in on the night, 3 days before my birthday, when he got our favorite local band to play at a nearby bar for my birthday party. The band plays our song. FI sang our song for me "for my birthday" while the band played. Part way through, he said he added a verse "for my birthday." He started singing about the rest of our lives and then got down on one knee and proposed. The 2 best things? All my local friends were there to watch and give me hugs after, and his friend got the whole thing on video. Laughing
  • FI wrote this cute poem, that had me laughing until he asked the question... I loved that poem!
  • pst726pst726 member
    First Comment
    FI is an avid marathon runner and has completed 8 full marathons since we have been dating. I started running with him and completed 4 half marathons. On January 17, 2010 I was going to be attempting my first full marathon in Houston, Texas. FI decided to run at my pace (since I am much slower than he is) and help me through the 26.2 miles. At all of the water stops he would veer off and bring me back whatever I asked for. When he saw someone passing out kleenex he would go grab some. He was a great support and I am not sure if I could have made it through without him.

Miles 18 through 25.5 were really difficult for me and he kept telling me how great I was doing, how pretty I looked, cracking jokes and doing his best to keep me from quitting.

When we were approaching the finish line he told me that he needed to slow down because he was getting a cramp. About ten feet from the finish line he grabbed my arm and said he had to stop. Whenever I stopped and turned around he was on his knee with the ring in his hand asking me to marry him!

He had carried the ring with him the whole day knowing he was going to propose in front of thousands of people at the finish!

I was completely shocked and speechless. Of course I said yes :)

After the marathon he had planned a surprise engagement party and marathon finish party. He had a cake made that told the story of us and all of our family and friends were there.

It was the best day of my life so far!

So ready to marry my best friend! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When my FI we were sitting at a hookah bar (where we had our first date) he pushed away the table sitting in front of me. It made a horrible screeeeach sound and I was embarrassed asking him what the heck he was doing. He got down on his knee, fished out the box from his pocket and said "I'm asking you to be my wife."  I started giggling and crying at the same time and then he started giggling too. It was awesome.
  • It was our 5 year anniversary and we decided to go to the Botanical Gardens in San Antonio Texas...the gardens are beautiful and I was totally caught up in taking pictures and avoiding the raindrops that when we went up to an overlook area (that looked out over all the gardens and the downtown skyline in the distance) I didnt really notice anything out of the ordinary. We were talking and enjoying the view when FI said "I figured out what I want to do.." I thought he was talking about his job, something we've been talking about lately, and I was excited that he had been thinking about it. Well I turned around to say let's talk about it and as I did he got down on one knee and pulled out a ring and said "This is what I want to do!" I started crying and laughing all at the same time and it was amazing. It took about 30 seconds of me jumping up and down before he stopped me and brought to my attention that he hadn't offically asked me yet! ...so he got back down on one knee and I shut up for a few seconds and he finally was able to ask "will you marry me?" ..of course I said yes and the rest is history!..it was beautiful and such a surprise! Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was totally surprised by his proposal.  I wasnt expecting it at all.  We had been arguing all day over what I'd purchased earlier that day, and what was in a book that I'd given him for one of our anniversaries.  He started telling me a few months prior that I couldnt look in the book, and then all of a suden that night he told me he'd would tell me what was in the book.  So after we went out to dinner we got out of the car and he starts wandering around the golf course, (where we live) "looking for the moon."  Like an idiot I follow him out there trying to figure out what the hell he's talking about.  We finally get over to the 9th hole and he says "I promised you I'd tell you what was in the book."  He gets down on one knee and starts saying all sorts of things that were beautiful, I'm sure, that I didnt hear.  I'm pretty sure I didnt answer him at first, I didnt even put the ring on until right before we went inside to show his parents. 

My favorite part was that he'd talked to my dad about asking me the night before.  And that the diamond in the ring is the same one his grandfather gave to his grandmother when they got engaged.

• My favorite part was how twitchy and energetic he was all day before he proposed. ...and the fact that he was so excited he couldn't wait till our rescheduled romantic anniversary weekend the next week and had to propose while I was still recovering from puking my guts up all week. Made me feel better though. 
    Afterward him looking at me all googly eyed all day even though I was sickly and eating goldfish and apple juice made a lot more sense. Gotta love him. 
  • ear0402ear0402 member
    First Comment

My fiance proposed to me in my classroom. I teach kindergarten. He had me called to the office and while I was out of the room, he woke all the kids up from their naps and had them hold signs that he had made with construction paper and glitter that said, "Will You Marry Me?" He got down on one knee and asked me to be his kindergarten teacher for the rest of his life. It was so perfect and sweet. My kids were so excited and went home telling parents things like I had gotten married at school and one kid said he didn't understand why I was crying. Too cute!

• My favorite part was that I was not expecting to be proposed at 7:14am on my 25th birthday.  I was still in my pj's and was watching cartoons before going to school.  I will never forget it.  Neither will my sister, I woke her up 15 minutes later screaming.  I always told her that she would be the first to know!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2010

The entire day was my favorite. :)

I had no idea what was coming. After church, he told me to drive over to the coffee shop where he asked me to be his girlfriend a little over a year before. He handed me the fortune cookie slip he had used that day. It says, “A thrilling time is in store for you.”

We then continued to drive around our college town to different places that are significant to us and our relationship. We went to the spot where we decided to save our first kiss for our wedding day, the spot where he said, “I love you,” for the first time, the theater where we saw our first movie together, the first time we spent time together outside of the class we met in. During this time, he was giving me ticket stubs and other little things he had saved.  We went to the spot where he told me he liked me.

Then we went to the spot where we used to hang out when we were first starting to get to know each other. This is where he left me with a note that basically said that there were many people who we have trusted and turned to as we were beginning our relationship and that I would need to trust them again today.

A few minutes later, his best friend from home walked around the corner. This is when I basically knew what was coming. Jesse had a picture of us with 1 Corinthians 13 written on it.  After he read that, he led me from the computer lab to the classroom where Fletcher and I met. Along the way, some of our mutual friends had more pictures of us with quotes about love written on them.

When I got to the classroom, the last guy opened the door, and Fletcher was sitting in “his” seat. We talked about the first time we met and other memories we had from that class. He gave me the other fortune cookie from when he asked me to be his girlfriend: “Your wish is about to come true.” He said, “Last January, my wish was that you would be my girlfriend, but I have a confession to make.  That wasn’t my wish.  My wish {he starts turning me around} is that you would be my wife.” {He pulls out the ring box and gets down on one knee and asks me to marry him}. I said, “Yes!” and then realized that all of those guys had been taking pictures and video while we were in the classroom.

We spent the rest of the day with our families while calling, texting, and finally updating our facebook statuses. It was a perfect day.

• I had been with my fiance for about 6 years when we started ring shopping. I had tried on a few styles in January and didn't really say or do anything about that. About two months later, we were driving home from our friends and he kept asking me what kind of ring I wanted. Becuase we'd talked about this for about two years, I told him I will consider what I want when he is more serious about buying a ring and getting engaged. He kept pestering me and that was my response. I was driving the car and he just blurts out " I bought you a ring", and I about veered off the road. I knew we were going to get married but I had been waiting for so long, I didn't actually think it would happen. For the next few weeks, he kept telling me he didn't know how he could propose and I may just come home from work one day and he'll ask me. On May 22nd, I was busy finishing everything for my sister's shower a few days later and he had actually gone to his great aunt's funeral that day. He came home and we were just drinking wine and talking about how much we love each other and want to spend the rest of our lives together. As we talked, he just looked at me and said " I want to marry you and spend the rest of my life with you"....gets down on one knee..."Will you marry me?". We were both in our pajamas and it was almost 1am.  It was absolutely perfect because we just got to share the moment with each other.

• My Fi asked me on a bride that goes over the Delaware River. He almost dropped the ring throught the grated bridge!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance proposed to me , while home on leave from the army . We were out eating at one of our favorite chinese places & right before desert he was acting all nonchalant and asked me to marry him . we had been talking about this for the last few months and so of course i just laughed & said of course . not thinking anything of it . then , about a month later after he left . i went to his mom's house for our regular dinner & she told me to sit down , it was important . so i did . his step dad then got down on one knee & his mom on the other . & they said . on behalf of our son , we would like to ask you to be apart of this family . all the while , my FI was waiting up to hear the answer . he said the ring didnt come in on time , but he wanted to ask me in person , although he has promised a better proposal anything . but i looove mine . (:
    IAmPregnant Ticker image
  • My story is kind of funny. It was Christmas day and we had plans to make our rounds at our familys so I was waiting for him to come meet at my house so we could head to my grandmothers house first. He kept getting mad at me everytime I even mentioned what time he would be coming over and then he just stopped texting me. Well two hours later I get a phone call and all he said was, "I am on my way when I get there jump in the car and dont forget your camera." I asked why I needed the camera and all he said was well you want new pictures. He took me down to this little gazebo that over looks the river in our hometown and we were just talking and I opened a present from his parents and he was holding me close because it was freezing pretty soon he started saying all these cute little things and then he got down on one knee right in the snow and I instantly started crying...happy tears of course...and said YES:)
  • My FI proposed in front of 35,000 people- on the score board at Yankee Stadium.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • we were in Maui on vacation with my teenage daughter. My FI told me I should take some time to myself & go for a walk. He asked my daughter's permission while I was gone. The next day, she said she didn't want to go hiking with us & so my FI & I went by ourselves to Haleakala National Park & hiked to Waimoku falls. I was sweaty & sitting on a rock watching the waterfall when he got down on one knee in the dirt & proposed. When I got back to the condo my daughter & I jumped up & down, hugged, and cried. It made it even better that she was so happy too.
  • I got an all expensed paid trip to Paris from my boss for Christmas this year. We went in April and it was very romantic. I wasn't expecting anything remotely close to a proposal since he pretty much made it clear that he wasn't ready yet a few weeks prior to the trip.

Well on our second from last day on our trip after waiting on line for 2 hours, me becoming pretty bitchy from a horrible foot cramp and my fear of heights we finally got to the top of the Eiffel Tower. I was being very uncooperative with me going off on my own to look around. Also at one point the ring got stuck in his coat pocket when he actually tried to surprise me during a picture being taken of us from a nice stranger. And when he finally got it all settled and ready he asked me all nice to come over and look at the view my response was "No we already saw this three times! I want to go over here." He begged me to come over there and I finally relented after complaining yet againg about seeing it three other times. He finally said, "Well why don't you take one more look." And when I did he had the ring out and asked me to marry him.

Apparently I didn't say yes as soon as I thought, I did pretty much faint though! So after he was able to catch me and pretty much pin me up against the wiring that keeps you from falling the 1100 feet to the ground I started to scream, "Oh My God!" and security started to come over because they thought I was being mugged or something NOT being proposed to. I didn't see all of this but everyone else did! I finally said yes once I was able to breathe! The whole rest of the day we kept wishing we had more time in Paris because one week is never enough, especially now that we had this amazing memory to cherish!

Well be carful what you wish for...

The next night, the last night in Paris, my Fiance reserved a table at Restaurant 58 (the restaurant in the Eiffel Tower) with the view that he proposed to me in front of. At dinner I get a call on my cell to let us know our flights were cancelled due to the Volcano explosion in Iceland. We were stuck for an extra week in Paris!!!!!
  • Fi proposed on our 10 year anniversary.  We had taken a trip to beautiful South Lake Tahoe.  After a fun filled snow day we went back to our hotel room which had a beautiful view of the lake.  He cracked open a bottle of bubbly (this is typical because we always drink bubbly since I'm a bubble girl).  What was not typical was when he got down on one knee and proposed.

I was surprised.  I had waited for 10 years and though I knew we would eventually get married, I was starting to wonder if it would happen soon.
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • My fiance proposed 4 days prior to our 3 year anniversary. My dad had recently been diagnosed with cancer and we were trying to get my parents' place set up as a good place for him to recover from an upcoming surgery and a lot of treatment. Apparently my fiance had gone over before I arrived and asked their permission, then left and "arrived" after I got there. He carried the ring in his pocket the rest of the night. When we got home I was feeling overwhelmed with everything going on and he kept asking what he could do to "cheer me up." After some goofy suggestions of things that would make me happy, he handed me a box of golf balls and said we could play golf in the yard. Considering it was 10pm, I was not into that idea, but he requested I at least open the box - inside was my ring. I had absolutely NO idea he was even thinking about proposing so was shocked; all I could say was, "are you serious??!" Finally I got a "YES!" out and once the shaking stopped the tears started. I asked him how long he had the ring and he proudly answered, "13 hours!" Apparently he planned to propose on our actual anniversary, but couldn't wait once the ring arrived which is SO him. :)

My favorite parts of my proposal were the sheer shock, and that my fiance took a difficult time and gave myself, and my family, something to be excited about (now we can all be excited because my dad is cancer free! :)).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance and I had been talking about marriage and a future together, so we both knew it was inevitable. But I was so surprised when he did it; we were just sitting in my car in a Walmart parking lot, while it was raining outside, and he was just sitting in the passenger seat. He looked at me, said that he couldn't wait any longer and asked me to marry him. There was no ring, no big surprise, no planning. It was completely spontaneous and just like us. I loved it so much! We went together the next day to pick out a ring. He said that he had been thinking of romantic ways to do it, but because we'd been talking about it so much he just couldn't stand to wait long enough to plan anything.
  • July 4th, 2009.

The FI had worked all day.  We were supposed to go to a friend's July 4th party, but we decided not to, we really just weren't feeling it.  I saw that the condensed version of the "Pops Goes the Fourth" concert from Boston was being aired at 10 PM on CBS and I asked if we could watch it.  I had been pretty underwhelmed by the lack of July 4th celebrations where we live (just boat races and 10 minutes worth of fireworks at later that night).  I just wanted a taste of home, since I had watched the Pops concert almost every year growing up.

While we were watching it, the FI was amazed at how much went into the celebration of July 4th back where I'm from; he was amazed at how many people had gone to the concert, and he was even more amazed about it when I told him that the majority of the people dancing around had been there since at least 5:30 that morning.  His amazement didn't end as we watched the 20 minute fireworks show choreographed to music.

As the fireworks started to come to a close, he stood us both up and was hugging me, asking me if I loved him (repeatedly, I think he asked me like 20 times in two minutes).  Just as the fireworks were coming to a close, he pulled back a little and dropped to both knees (he meant for one, but he was so nervous he went to both), and asked me to marry him.

A little over an hour later, he posted this note on his Facebook:

Moments come and go and finding that right moment can easily slip through your fingers

Tonight, I caught one of those moments.

Seeing what she left, her life, her heritage, to come to the West Coast for me. Seeing that she loved me so much as to leave it all behind her and start a new life out here..........It was my moment

I asked BluValkyrie to marry me.

She said yes

=D
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • He asked me in a quiet moment just us cuddling after a busy Thanksgiving weekend with both families. Being a traditionalist I would have thought the big proposal would have been for me, but this was US - quiet, cuddling, just us.
  • I knew my FI wouldn't propose with a ring, but instead with a meaningful gift. We talked about it before and both knew we wanted to pick the ring out together. So a few months ago, we went to the Yankee Candle Factory in Deerfield. I saw a beautiful strung glass ornament of 2 wedding bells. I commented "that would be nice, someday" and didn't think any more of it. Flash forward to Christmas eve 2009- I come over to FI's house to celebrate with him and his family. He is acting odd. Very nervous. So we head downstairs to exchange gifts. He insists I open his first. He has me sit  down, close my eyes, and hold out my hands. When I open my eyes, he is on one knee, which I don't notice right away. I open the box and inside is the wedding bell ornament. I look up and see him on one knee and he proposes! Oh, and for his gift I painted him a picture. And yes, he loved it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards