Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Did you pick out your ring??

Re: Did you pick out your ring??

• Options
    No- we went shopping together many months before he actually proposed- we looked at styles together and he knew what general style I liked. He later picked out the ring himself, so it was a total surprise.
  • Options
    I have his mother's first engagement ring and wedding band. They're gorgeous, but definitely not what I told him I wanted but you can't really argue with an heirloom.  I wish it was yellow gold but oh well!!
    http://mrsdanielparsons.weebly.com Can't figure out the HTML stuff ^^ That's my bio!
  • Options
    No I didn't pick out my ring. My FI knew I really like the princess cut and wanted a low setting in white gold. He did perfect! I love my ring. I wanted him to surprise me bc I knew he knew my style, and I figured dropping hints when we talked about engagement would make things easier on him and it did!
  • Options

FI and I went to look together just to give him ideas of what I liked.  We went a few months before he popped the question, and we narrowed it down to a few completely different ones.  He picked my ring out of those, and I absolutely love it!  It is nothing like what I would originally have picked!  And...it came in a set, so my band matches!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
     I chose the second one, "Kind of. I showed him they style I wanted and he picked from there."   But really, i had found the exact one i wanted and shown it to him, but he took the idea of that one and got something similar somewhere else... (i'm assuming because of price)
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    No way!  It was a complete and total surprise and I LOVE IT!
  • Options
    At some point we talked about style and diamond cut.  He pretty much knew exacltly what I wanted, and picked it out himself.  He did a great job!!!!  We shopped for the wedding bands together later....I cant wait to put it all together!!! :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    No I didn't... and I wanted it that way! Me and Brian had been dating from some time so I would drop hints that I like the princess cut diamonds and sliver metal but other than that he did the rest. And let me say he did a wonderful job. It is just what I would have picked out. But I am sure I would be saying that no matter what he picked out.. It isn't what the ring looks like it is what the ring means. This man wants to spend the rest of his life by yourside. Who cares what the ring looks like as long as the meaning behind it is there!
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • Options

My fiance wanted an idea of what I liked, but didn't want us to physically go to a jewelry store together.  I went on my own to try on a few, and wound up falling in love with something similar to the Tiffany Legacy Ornate.  I ripped a picture out of a magazine and said, "If it looks anything like this, I'll love it."  He took it from there and had a setting custom-made in NYC.  I love it so much, the only time I take it off is to clean it :)

• Options
    I told him that if he didn't know me well enough to pick out something I'd like, then he didn't know me well enough...besides, I trusted him to do a good job.

He picked out a ring that I ADORE!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I sure did! He proposed last year with a ring we had picked out (not as an engagement ring) together a few days before Christmas. He ended up proposing with it, saying we'd get a "real" one. Well, with money being tight, I said I didn't need one. As the year passed, I change my mind, first subtley, then more obnoxiously. Suddenly, I wanted it A LOT. 

Past experience told us that he can't really pick a ring for me, as said above, with a big flashing light pointing to it (I loved that!) so we went together and I found something fantastic that I love. We took pictures of it on my phone. We had almost enough to pay for it that day, but would have had to get more money together. 

Since my grandparents got married on Valentine's Day, I always wanted to do that myself. Unfortunately, it doesn't fall on a weekend again for another 5 years (it will be Sunday this year) so I decided to wait to get the ring and the real proposal (poor guy has to do it again!) this Valentine's day. Countdown is T-minus-17 days!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We went together almost a YEAR before he proposed. We knew we wanted to get married and he wanted some input. We picked it out together and then I was supposed to *forget* about it. By the time the proposal actually came around I almost had! I am glad that we picked it out together though because it was a very fun experience for both of us.
  • Options
    He did it all on his own.... all he had asked me was my ring size... we never looked at rings or anything so I was soo surprised... he has impeccable taste and it's even prettier than any ring i would've chosen! the feeling of surprise & knowing that he chose this ring as a symbol of his love... just means sooo much! i love my fiance!!!! :) 

• Options
    we weren't planning on doing e-rings as the cost was more than we could afford, but when a family member offered to give us a piece of jewellery that included 23 little diamonds we decided to design our own e-rings.  regardless of whether we had been given the diamonds or not, FI has always said that he'd never attempt to pick out a piece of jewellery for me, as he'd be nervous he'd get it wrong!

i designed my e-ring and included 18 diamonds (a significant number in jewish culture/religion), and FI's ring has 5 diamonds.  despite the fact that i designed it myself, i'm not super in love with the ring (good thing i only have myself to blame!), it just doesn't seem finished yet, and  maybe i'm just jealous of other girls with more sparkly rings, who knows?  anyway, i'm really excited to see it with the weddings bands i'm having made for it.  i'm having two thin bands made to sit on either side of the e-ring.  should be beautiful!

on the other hand, what i love about my ring is that it has such a low profile that it doesn't get stuck on clothes or anything else when i'm using my hands. it's also entirely unique and lovely.
  • Options
    Absolutely not! We hadn't ever talked about marriage because he had once said he hated when past girlfriends "jumped the gun" and started talking about getting married...so I made a point to never talk about it. And on our first anniversary he COMPLETELY surprised me by proposing with a perfect, princess cut, solitare.

I think it is completely romantic that he went to a jewelry store (where guys are typically uncomfortable) and try so hard to pick out something that I would love and kept it a secret because he knows how much I love surprises! Yes, some may say it is boring (because it's a solitare) but I think it is classic and fits my personality perfectly.
  • Options
    I didn't want to pick my exact ring out, but FI wanted a goooood hint.  I e-mailed him many, many photos of rings describing exactly what I liked and didn't like about each of them.  He then showed those to his sister-in-law and took her shopping with him.  The product?  A ring that is PERFECT!  Exactly what I wanted (although not something I had actually seen).  It combines all of the qualities I wanted in a ring.  I'm so glad I was so specific hahahah.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I keep you with me in my heart, you make it easier when life gets hard.
  • Options
    we went looking almost a year and a half before he actually proposed. i picked out a ring i loooved but didnt really think anything else about it til later. i couldnt find it online either because i couldnt remember the designer! well he bought the ring this past march, we got engaged the end of november. it turned out he remembered exactly what i wanted! i love it!! i was completely surprised though!

we already have picked out my wedding bands, its the ones that match my ring exactly. so it was perfect Laughing
    Mr. & Mrs. REB
  • Options
    My FI not only picked my e-ring, he designed it. And it is the most beautiful ring ever, he knew I liked Tacori rings so he had something similar but original made for me.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    I sure did pick my ring! Future hubby had a habit of getting me nice jewlery in white gold (I'm a yellow gold kinda girl). We talked about it and his theory was that if he was going to spend the money he wanted me to loooovee it. I looked online and showed him the one I wanted and he did the rest... LOVE IT!!! :)
  • Options
    My FI employed his little sister.  I knew what I wanted and she did some scouting for him, relaying my desires to him.  He went and picked out the diamond himself and added the stones on the side.  I ended up getting the perfect ring - a .5 carat marquis cut diamond flanked by two dark blue triangle saphires in a white gold setting.  We had discussed marriage but I didn't know that it was coming when he proposed.  We went together to pick our wedding rings and he let me get the ring I wanted too!

~Heidi
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    He picked out my ring without help or suggestion from me and I love it- not only  because its beautiful but because he shopped for me and chose what he thought would look beautiful on me. And it does!
  • Options
    I work at a jewelry store, so I most definitely picked out my own ring Wink However, the creativity in how my coworkers and fiance kept it from me that HE was the one that had bought my ring, not "some idiot" (as I put it). Everyone thought it was hilarious that the day I found out it had been sold I called my fiance and complained (in the nicest way possible!) that "some idiot bought my ring and it was clearly not for me!"

So, when he proposed to me at the best French restaurant in town, his exact wordes were, "So, remember that idiot that bought your ring? Do you think you'd marry him?" I've never laughed/cried so hard at the same time in my life!
  • Options
    I totally picked out my own ring...I was terrified that my FI would do it himself! He's lovely but let's face it- most guys don't put as much stock in jewelry as girls do and my FI is own of those guys! His wedding band could have come from Walmart on 50% discount for all he cares! SO, since I am wearing the ring for a long time....I wanted to pick it out! We went to several stores before we found the ONE! And then we went to several stores to find my wedding band:) And I got what I wanted, so it worked!
  • Options
    Yes!  We went twice to look.  The first time, about 5 months before we got engaged just to start thinking.  We went a second time about a month before getting engaged to make sure I was still in love with the ring.  I think it's important because before we went looking, I had an idea of what I wanted.  But, you need to see the ring on your hand.  What you think you want, may be the exact opposite of what you love.  My FI said this ring was too important for him to guess on, even if it was an educated guess.  I know sometimes, people upgrade their ring later in life, but we both agreed that this ring represented one of the most important moments in our lives and shouldn't be replaced or changed later in life.  I don't regret it at all!  I didn't remember exactly what it looked like when I got it, and it was not less special because I helped pick it out.
  • Options
    We had discussed rings before so he knew I wanted round cut and not a solitare.  He picked from there.  When he first gave it to me I wasn't 100% happy so we brought it back and had it tweaked and I just got it back this Tuesday.  Now I absolutely love it!  He is so glad that I made the change because it's just some small details, but makes a big diff.  & he loves it now even more than when he bought it.  :)
  • Options

Im super picky and research EVERYTHING!!! So he knew I needed to be involved im just that way. I have always wanted a round solitaire in platinum plain band. But I saw this ring on tacoris website and we went to the jewelry store and it was the first ring i tried on and FELL IN LOVE!!! Which its a princess cut with a diamond halo COMPLETELY different then what i thought i wanted. I also discovered I cant stand any color in the diamonds so he got me a d. Anyways he convinced me he didnt have enough money to get a platinum tacori right now and i FELL FOR IT. I felt bad for wanting such an expensive ring but he surprised me with a proposal and the exact ring I loved!!! I was soooooo surprised. So we picked it out together BUT he ended up surprising me anyways!!!

• Options
    I knew that I was going to have to be the one to push him to go look at rings.  We went at the end of October and looked at some rings at Zales, Leroy's, and a few other stores.  We went back through Zales before leaving the mall and the salewoman showed me a few 'vintage' inspired rings.  I fell in love with a particular ring and simply told FI, "This is my favorite.  I want this one ot be my engagement ring."  Simple as that.
    He purchased the ring 2 days later.
    I really wanted to pick out my ring because I am fairly picky.  I didn't want a solitare and I didn't want a princess cut because my promise ring was square, and I do not like the marquise shape.  FI would not have been able to pick out my stlye ring if it smacked him in the head.
    I'm so glad I picked it out, because I know I will love to wear it forever.  
  • Options

Yes! I always wanted a round solitaire no diamonds on the side. He knew I needed to be involved because im picky and i do a ton of research. i saw this ring on tacoris website then we went to the store and it was the first ring i tried on and i fell in love even though it was princess with a halo!!! Anyways he convinced me he didnt have enough money and i fell for it. So i had decided i couldnt get that ring i felt bad that it was sooo expensive then he surprised me with a proposal and the ring i wanted!

• Options
    ok so i realize i typed the response twice. DONT jump my case my dog jumped on my laptop and i thought it didnt post!!!
  • Options
    I picked out my ring tonight, actually!  I'm so excited I can barely stand it!  The ring I picked will be set with my grandmother's diamond, so it will be extra special.....I didn't think that we'd actually buy anything tonight--we had planned to just look, but when I put on this ring, it was just perfect.  It won't be a surprise when I get the OFFICIAL proposal, but at least I know it'll be what we both like!  I'll admit that knowing what I'll be getting and that it will be ready on Tuesday makes me crazy that I have to wait to wear it, but I'm sure I'll survive! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards