Just Engaged and Proposals

Unique situation...teacher needs HELP w/picking a wedding date..either this Sept 12' or next June 13

Hi knotties...

OK really need as much input as possible...I'll make this simple..my fiancee and I have been dating for 5 years and are both 40 yrs old.  We got engaged in late March 12' and I was himming and hawwing over venues but finally came to my senses and realized that one of the first ones we looked at is perfect (we originally wanted summer wedding..off of school...beach decor to the max...this place is very beachy).

Here's the deal
:  my venue only has this Sept. 28th or beg June of next year left.  They also have this Aug 31st (fri..of labor day weekend) but I just ordered my dress and it won't be in until Sept and plus I have nothing else done and am too nervous.  For some reason I think a Friday wedding will be tough with trying to have people get off work to go to the church (it's so imp. to me) and plus many are teachers.  I would also probably take my honeymoon in Nov. over teacher break and tack on some dates, but I think it's just harder in general to be in school while getting married (you have to rush back into the classroom practically right after).

So do we wait until next June (oh price goes up $25.00 a head...they are giving us last minute booking price now) when we can be relaxed about it and then go on honeymoon as soon as school is over...ALTHOUGH we would probably have everything planned by like Sept or Oct and would be waiting 8 months!! 

I really wonder how much goes into planning for 5 months beside DJ dresses photographer flowers?  And will Sept28  in Central Jersey be too fallish and cool for the whole beach theme thing??

Thanks for listening....PLEASE HELP

Re: Unique situation...teacher needs HELP w/picking a wedding date..either this Sept 12' or next June 13

• I would go with June of next year. Even though it is farther away, you get to have every aspect that you want and you have even more time to plan. No rushing and you can relax. Just my input.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would go with September if I were you...

I don't know how big of a factor money is for you guys, but an additional $25 a head sounds like a LOT! 
    Also, just from my personal experience, once you have most of the major planning done you just want to get married, you won't want to wait a whole more year. 5 months for all that is plenty, we got all our mile stones within two weeks. 

However, I do understand your honeymoon concern. What about this - right after the wedding, just take off for a long weekend or Fall break and just do something simple and romantic not too far away. And STILL plan your big honeymoon for next summer if it makes your dream destination/weather possible. After 5 years of dating it's not like your honeymoon will be your first chance of intimacy...

As of the weather in NJ, I don't know how summery it is up there in September. Would you be willing to change your beach theme a little bit in favor of getting your dream venue? 

Whatever you decide on, good luck and congrats, I'm sure it will be wonderfull either way!
  • I agree with Marie&Dave, do it in September--that sounds like alot of savings!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I responded to your post in the NJ forum.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to Unique situation...teacher needs HELP w/picking a wedding date..either this Sept 12' or next June 13':

I am also a teacher, and faced the same predicament. We decided to go with next June because I really wanted to NOT to have to worry about school. Plus, I love the idea of a summer wedding. This way, I don't have to worry about taking time off of work and we can head off to our honeymoon immediately. It seems to be working out for us, and I certainly have plenty of time to plan. Good luck!
  • Oh the other thing is that some of you mentioned having the church later...maybe around 5 PM  but our cocktail hour starts at 6PM and I want to take pics in between so I was thinking 4PM at latest?  Though the whole venue revolves around water and docks with a gorgeous sunset and views are amazing and the sunset is way earlier in Sept in NJ on that date...(6:45 PM) than in May or June (almost 8PM)...does that matter??

Thanks,
    Danielle
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_unique-situationteacher-needs-help-wpicking-a-wedding-dateeither-this-sept-12-or-next-june-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:b674c3f6-9116-4730-95ef-82daac4dd5cfPost:6f036d60-cec3-49f9-a136-1d4b787bdcf0">Re: Unique situation...teacher needs HELP w/picking a wedding date..either this Sept 12' or next June 13'</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh the other thing is that some of you mentioned having the church later...maybe around 5 PM  but our cocktail hour starts at 6PM and I want to take pics in between so I was thinking 4PM at latest?  Though the whole venue revolves around water and docks with a gorgeous sunset and views are amazing and <strong>the sunset is way earlier in Sept in NJ on that date...(6:45 PM) than in May or June (almost 8PM)...does that matter??</strong> Thanks, Danielle
    Posted by danilynn72[/QUOTE]

<div>It depends when you wanted to see the sunset... Did you want the sun to be setting during your ceremony? or later?</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_unique-situationteacher-needs-help-wpicking-a-wedding-dateeither-this-sept-12-or-next-june-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:b674c3f6-9116-4730-95ef-82daac4dd5cfPost:6f036d60-cec3-49f9-a136-1d4b787bdcf0">Re: Unique situation...teacher needs HELP w/picking a wedding date..either this Sept 12' or next June 13'</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh the other thing is that some of you mentioned having the church later...maybe around 5 PM  but our cocktail hour starts at 6PM and I want to take pics in between so I was thinking 4PM at latest? <strong> Though the whole venue revolves around water and docks with a gorgeous sunset and views are amazing and the sunset is way earlier in Sept in NJ on that date...(6:45 PM)</strong> than in May or June (almost 8PM)...does that matter?? Thanks, Danielle
    Posted by danilynn72[/QUOTE]

I think this relates to your concerns about holding the wedding on a Friday.  I feel like if you're going the Friday route, your wedding needs to start significantly later or you run the risk of creating a lot of work conflicts for even your in-town guests.

FH and I don't attend non-Saturday weddings anymore.  It's nothing personal, but we both have stressful jobs that demand a great deal of our time.  I'm not sure how old you are, or where your friends are in their careers...but just something to consider.
  • I'm a teacher getting married on Sept. 29th! I would say go for that date-- not only is it less expensive, but I've been engaged since last April and the wedding is pretty much planned... I'm BORED!! The waiting is killing me and I really wish we had done a shorter engagement!
    0403_0929W BabyFruit Ticker
  • If finances are a concern I would defintely go with September - $25 a head is a lot. You just need to be okay with people backing out/coming late if you have the wedding on a Friday evening. If a lot of your friends and families are teachers though, it might not be as much of an issue.

As far as the weather, I grew up in NJ and I feel like the weather might be a little cold for a beach-themed wedding, but I'm not totally sure.
    And if the stormy weather came...I'd just kiss you in the rain... Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards