Just Engaged and Proposals

Platinum ring resizing

I just dropped my ring off at the jewelers to be sized down 1 size.  It is a family heirloom ring and has been worn and loved.  The bottom of the ring is very thin and misshapen from what I am assuming wear of over 100 years and/or a poor resizing job at some point.  The jeweler said that they would need to add up to 2 grams of platinum.  While it is going down in size, I do understand that metal may need to be added because it is thin, but 2 grams seems excessive to me...although I am no expert.  

Any thoughts?  Also, how much should an appraisal cost?  I've gotten quotes from $45 to $200 and one store told me it would take 5 days to get the ring appraised.  That seems excessive for an appraisal to me. 

Re: Platinum ring resizing

• Hopefully the ring comes back looking like it did and they didn't add too much to it!! I would be worried, but that's just me!! I'm not an expert either, but I agree, it does sound excessive.
  • 2 grams is a really small amount.  Especially since platinum is pretty heavy, you're not talking about very much metal at all.  I doubt you'll really even notice the extra metal.
  • Thanks!  I get it back hopefully this afternoon.  I don't know much about metals or resizing and when I asked if that was a lot for a ring to go down in size, the jeweler says that normally it is not needed, but it would be safer to make the ring stronger as it is weak and thin at the bottom.  They will be re-shanking (??) it.  I am very afraid it will look different too.  Although, when I asked if the diamond was loose (as another jeweler said it was), she said it was not but anyway to tighten it, since there are no prongs, it would make the ring look different because she would have to add metal to the setting.  Neither she nor I wanted to do that!  

I will let you all know how it turns out. I am pretty nervous! Funny enough, I am normally not a jewelry person, but you would think the way that I interviewed my jewelers, that I was interviewing day care centers for a child!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards