Just Engaged and Proposals

Should I bother with engagement announcements/party

My FI and I aren't TECHNICALLY engaged yet. We've been dating for about 6 years now. 2 years ago, he gave me a promise ring. We were planning on getting married 2 years after that, but life happened and we couldn't afford it.

Since we've been together for so long, I've met all of his family who will be invited to the wedding and vice versa, I don't know if we should bother with an engagment announcement and party and pictures and all that. Anyone who matters already knows that we are together and will get married one day. His mother introduces me as 'her son's fiance'.

Thoughts?
Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Should I bother with engagement announcements/party

• Either you are engaged or not. A ring is not necessary for an engagement, only that you agree to marry each other.

If there was no proposal, I think an engagement party is a little weird, especially if you got the promise ring 2 years ago. There really is no event to celebrate here. Wait for the wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • You don't need a ring to have a proposal. I think that if your boyfriend proposes and you guys want to start using the term "engaged" officially, that is a perfect occassion to celebrate. (Although it is a bit strange that his moom was already introducing you as his fiance before you were engaged)
  • What PP said.  Also, don't throw yourselves an engagement party.  If someone wants to throw a party in your honor, that's great.  But throwing one for yourselves makes it look like you're in it for the gifts.
  • Well, maybe his mom will decide to throw you an engagement party. It isn't your decision.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards